Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryM Quote
What compact Pentax dslr bodies don't suffer from the aperture solenoid problems? I am thinking about adding another Pentax body. In Pentax, have: K200D, K10D (2), K20D and K5II. I have a fair amount of other brands, but thinking a small Pentax body. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry
Newly announced comes the Pentax KF. Apparently the replacement for the K-70, though the name suggests a KP type- it is not. Details are not yet complete, but it is likely to have a new modified solenoid which will not be subject to the aperture problem, or perhaps even no solenoid at all. As usual, the price will initially be high for a new model but will come down some after about a year on the market.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-10-2022 at 12:59 PM.
11-09-2022, 08:35 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Newly announced comes the Pentax KM. Apparently the replacement for the K-70, though the name suggests a KP type- it is not. Details are not yet complete, but it is likely to have a new modified solenoid which will not be subject to the aperture problem, or perhaps even no solenoid at all. As usual, the price will initially be high for a new model but will come down some after about a year on the market.
KF...
11-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
KF...
Right- KF. I just fixed my post. Why it is not the K-80 is beyond me! Pentax has long been a bit mixed up in regards to naming their models.
11-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Right- KF. I just fixed my post. Why it is not the K-80 is beyond me! Pentax has long been a bit mixed up in regards to naming their models.
True enough. But many companies do weird naming - Sony’s apsc line up makes me nuts. Epson’s printer line up with a model xx60 is replaced with xx50. The logic in descending numbers being better is escaping my feeble brain.

11-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #125
Pentaxian

True enough. But many companies do weird naming - Sony’s apsc line up makes me nuts. Epson’s printer line up with a model xx60 is replaced with xx50. The logic in descending numbers being better is escaping my feeble brain.
They probably want to draw a line under the aperture solenoid issue, which afflicted so many on the K-S1/2, K-30/50s and early-on 70 models?
11-10-2022, 01:33 PM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
They probably want to draw a line under the aperture solenoid issue, which afflicted so many on the K-S1/2, K-30/50s and early-on 70 models?
That’s why I nicknamed it K-Fixed. It’s a reasonable goal to distance the naming from the old standard. But the K-S1/K-S2 series had a clearer purpose in naming and the option of using K-90 or K-70s or similar would have accomplished the same type of thing. While I’m mystified a bit by their entire naming structure- it’s not weirder than most. I’m disappointed by the rehash but it’s not a camera I’m in the market for so my disappointment isn’t going to hurt their sales.
11-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #127
Pentaxian

That’s why I nicknamed it K-Fixed. It’s a reasonable goal to distance the naming from the old standard. But the K-S1/K-S2 series had a clearer purpose in naming and the option of using K-90 or K-70s or similar would have accomplished the same type of thing. While I’m mystified a bit by their entire naming structure- it’s not weirder than most. I’m disappointed by the rehash but it’s not a camera I’m in the market for so my disappointment isn’t going to hurt their sales.
What's in a name? I have always bought them on the simple premiss of 'what do they offer'? Same with cars, washing machine, fridges,TVs etc. Who really cares what they are called-although Edsel was a stretch too far!

11-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
What's in a name? I have always bought them on the simple premis of 'what do they offer'? Same with cars, washing machine, fridges,TVs etc. Who really cares what they are called-although Edsel was a stretch too far!
I agree - I express confusion more than disillusionment on the name issue. But by switching naming convention they set a bit of expectation bias that this is something different.

In the end it doesn’t really matter if we called the camera by names like Brad and David and Matt.
11-10-2022, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

I agree - I express confusion more than disillusionment on the name issue. But by switching naming convention they set a bit of expectation bias that this is something different.

In the end it doesn’t really matter if we called the camera by names like Brad and David and Matt.
Or Vanya?
11-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like "K-Fixed" and surely hope it really is!