Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now the 5DmkII doesn't focus as well as the old 5D :-)
5D2 AF in dim light: :-( - a fashion shooter

And yes, cost was mentioned. That's probably one reason they gripe so much more. The D300/D700 had a lot of AF gripes as well IIRC.

12-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Canikon users like to bitch and moan when other camera brands are brought up. Then they get into a defensive mode and like to throw hardware specifications left and right. They boast about high ISO performance when their's never goes above iso200 or is always on autoiso(they don't know how to change it), they boast about FPS when all they shoot are motherboards, flowers and naked women, things that don't move. They boast having the best glass and the best selection of lenses, yet all they can afford are the 2 or 3 $100 sigma and tamron lenses they have. Then they talk about how solid their camera is, how great it feels in heir hands, yet they have a d40 or a xti that feels like it's make of spit and kleenex and is the size of deodorant stick.
Arguing with them is pointless simply cause most of them bought their equipment cause hey don't know anything else exists and then when you bring facts to heir attention they flame you and call you a fanboy and throw other useless BS at you. I just had one tell me he would pick a d90 over a k20(evenly matched cameras I would say, not price wise) just cause nikon has a lens selection and lens quality that pentax couldn't touch...
12-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
boast about FPS when all they shoot are motherboards, flowers and naked women
pick a d90 over a k20(evenly matched cameras I would say, not price wise) just cause nikon has a lens selection and lens quality that pentax couldn't touch...
What? Does being a Canon user mean you get to photograph naked women? I'm switching

To be fair, in Pentax land, we don't have anything like Nikon's 14-24, 24-70, 200/2 or 85/1.4...well, the 85 on the used market, but the others are awesome zoom lenses. If you're a paid sports shooter, Nikon is also a better system to grow into, but you wouldn't be using a measly D90 and I'll bet this guy isn't willing to spend $1500 on the 24-70 or $3K on the 200/2
12-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Canikon users like to bitch and moan when other camera brands are brought up. Then they get into a defensive mode and like to throw hardware specifications left and right. They boast about high ISO performance when their's never goes above iso200 or is always on autoiso(they don't know how to change it), they boast about FPS when all they shoot are motherboards, flowers and naked women, things that don't move. They boast having the best glass and the best selection of lenses, yet all they can afford are the 2 or 3 $100 sigma and tamron lenses they have. Then they talk about how solid their camera is, how great it feels in heir hands, yet they have a d40 or a xti that feels like it's make of spit and kleenex and is the size of deodorant stick.
Arguing with them is pointless simply cause most of them bought their equipment cause hey don't know anything else exists and then when you bring facts to heir attention they flame you and call you a fanboy and throw other useless BS at you. I just had one tell me he would pick a d90 over a k20(evenly matched cameras I would say, not price wise) just cause nikon has a lens selection and lens quality that pentax couldn't touch...
first of all second, Ive had a canon user tell me that Pentax makes terrible lenses. I was out at the beach (Tybee island, GA) he was using the Kit lens and I just happen to be using the smc-FA 43mm Ltd. (from cameralensrentals.com) I also had my Super-Takumar 85mm 1.9 with me. I just laughed at him, almost without thinking about. he was a few years younger than me (Im 24, I was 23 then) I wanted to say 'the guy at best buy told you to buy that didnt he?' but I felt that was a bit much. so I walked away. man some peoples ignorance... I mean everyone has their choice and I know pentax isnt for everyone but, that no excuse to show your ignorance and make an ass of yourself.

12-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Haakan,
If you paid as much for your equipment as they did, you would expect much more too. I think that the great value for the money, makes Pentax ratings higher as a result.

Dave
Hi Dave,
I agree that Pentax is great value for money. When I looked through dpreview, I found that canikon were rated lower by their users both for cameras that were comparable in price with Pentax, as well as the one that were higher in price. So it seems as if you have a limited budget, Pentax is the best choice, and in order to get something better, you would have to spend a lot more money (and become less satisfied, because you did expect a lot more for that money :-)

Best regards,
Haakan
12-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #51
Inactive Account

Yes, and no, but basically, Sure Ya' Betcha

They sure would if they had a forum for Canon that was as cool as this one. And if they weren't so concerned with what other people thought of them. When I was with Canon, I went to a Canon User Group outing in Seattle (in Ballard), and I mentioned my problems with all my Canon gear, and (sure, ya betcha) one by one, each person confided in me that they too had similar problems, but thought perhaps that it was just them and didn't want others to think they didn't know what they were doing........
12-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
They sure would if they had a forum for Canon that was as cool as this one. And if they weren't so concerned with what other people thought of them. When I was with Canon, I went to a Canon User Group outing in Seattle (in Ballard), and I mentioned my problems with all my Canon gear, and (sure, ya betcha) one by one, each person confided in me that they too had similar problems, but thought perhaps that it was just them and didn't want others to think they didn't know what they were doing........
yea I bet that would be hard, not being able to turn to anyone, because everyone wants to be and feel (and in a lot of cases think they are) pro because they have a top level system they paid a premium for. everyone is afraid to speak up for fear of backlash.... glad I don't have to worry about that.
12-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
But different for fishing boats...e.g., prokat owners seem to gripe about manufacturing problems, etc.
Must be the first time I've seen a thread hijacked into talking planes, fishing and sailing boats in this forum

12-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Maybe that should be my "First Official Duty". Start a pissing and moaning forum that is closed and by invitation only. If you are a really good whiner, bitcher and complainer, you get in. 2000 word piss 'n moan essay will get you admission.
Why not ask Adam to start a "Pissing and moaning" topic section and then have all threads that belong there moved there...