Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #1

HELP! black LCD screen

OK, ignore my post! It was the lens not the camera...I just had to type it out to have a moment of clairity! Thanks for your replies.

I just upgraded my Pentax SLR to the K100D and I have updated the firmware and formated the SD card and still when I turn the camera on, the LCD stays black. I can get to the menu with no problem. The lens cap is not on! I am totally frustrated and feel like a ding bat. No matter how much it stings...tell me it's an obvious fix!

ETA: the Av on the LCD panel just flashes when I turn on the camera. The panel doesn't give me any info besides how many pictures I have left (which is all of them because it won't let me snap a picture!).

I did a forum seach for this problem and didn't find a thread, so I apologize if this is old news.

Last edited by justkatie; 12-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #2

If it's anything like the K20D, I assume you refer to the power-on guide screen.
If the K100D has this, you may just have it turned off. OK, downloaded PDF. Look on page 174 in your manual to turn Guide Display on. It's in the menus, third tab (Set-Up, the one with the X and like a screwdriver), according to the K100D online manual, it's the 6th option, right after language. Online manual is at K100d (NOT Super) PDF Manual Link

T
12-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Shark! I had already tried that and it didn't help. Anyone else?

I meant to add in my original post that the Av on the LCD panel just flashes when I turn on the camera. The panel doesn't give me any info besides how many pictures I have left (which is all of them because it won't let me snap a picture!).
12-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
idk if u mean live view (using lcd to compose the picture) or not, but on 100DS doesnt give u that option, otherwise, use Sharkonwheels advise.....

12-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by justkatie Quote
Thanks for your reply Shark! I had already tried that and it didn't help. Anyone else?

I meant to add in my original post that the Av on the LCD panel just flashes when I turn on the camera. The panel doesn't give me any info besides how many pictures I have left (which is all of them because it won't let me snap a picture!).
katie, u said that ur lens cap is not on and it will still not let u take a picture..... i m assuming that you are using a manual focus lens and your body is set to AF..... try turning focus to MF and see if that helps.... if the body is set to AF mode with a manual lens, it wont let you take a picture until it can confirm the focus.....
12-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
The apature ring on my lensd needed to be adjusted! I had an 'Ah haaa' moment after typing out all of my problems. It looks like I am in business now. Thanks so much for your help
12-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
We talking lenscap left on here?

Glad issue now resolved.