Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2022, 04:06 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
KF Commentary

Hi all,

I have a YouTube channel dedicated to Pentax enthusiasts: PentaxTips - YouTube

I have produced in-depth tutorials on the K-70, K-1 II, and the K-3 III.
YouTube analytics provide interesting insight into what the consumer is interested in.
From this perspective, I'd like to provide a tidbit of information.

One of my most popular videos, is my History of Pentax video:

Besides the history video, the tutorial videos are the next most popular.
In particular, my K-70 tutorial:
, which is arguably my most popular video (see screenshot attached).
There may be some bias here, as K-3 owners may be less interested in tutorials (more expensive camera may imply a non-beginner).

However, what this data may suggest, is that although there is initial interest in the newest, flashy tech, but it is the affordable cameras that are likely being purchased that consumers want to use and learn how to use. Much, much more interest in the affordable and basic than the few who purchase the high-end flashy tech.

The K-70, to me as a YouTuber, appears consistently successfully, and people are interested in using and learning the K-70.

I bet Ricoh was not prepared for the supply chain issue - likely working on the K-1 III.
But since there are supply chain issues on the K-70, it makes sense to reissue a new version to supply this clear demand and interest for the entry-level market.

I am excited there is a Pentax KF to encourage our fellow photographers who want the superior OVF experience, with impressive feature set, at an entry-level price offering.

But what do I know? What's your opinion?

Attached Images

11-12-2022, 11:27 PM - 7 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I personally have ZERO interest in a K-70 or a KF (K-3II & K-50 owner ), but I can definitely say this. My nephew & niece use a Nikon D5200. Just changing the shutter speed or aperture is a pain in the rear with its single control dial. I almost flip every time I have to touch that camera. It's so annoying having to hold a button while moving the control dial. It's incredibly slow & tedious.

The K-70 & KF offer so much control that it's ridiculous. That's the one good thing about "basic" Pentax bodies. They might not have the most advanced AF out there, but you get far more controls than anyone else for the price. You're getting near professional level control out of a very "basic" camera. Can you say "two control dials"? Canon & Nikon don't have any basic DSLR close to the K-70/KF.
11-13-2022, 12:00 AM   #3

I have a K-70 they are a good camera, easy you use and price its good for what you get.
I think the there working on a new full frame/medium format and just did a few small changes update the K70
11-13-2022, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Call it a KF or a K-70 Mark II; I don't care.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

11-13-2022, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

x-post - because it fit's a bit KP battery consumption - PentaxForums.com

Wouldn't it be nice to have an USB-C port on the KP to attach a standard power bank when doing extensive live view work in the field by example astro photography, time lapses or capturing movies?!

At least I'd be very happy to have USB-C on all of my Pentax DSLRs!

The coming Pentax KF has it and will be delivered by Ricoh/Pentax. With this "upgrade" the very good K70 techonlogy will survive in the future and puts something IMO important and high value for practical use on top. My perspective.

There seem to be different priorities - as always. Again many people complain because their personal expectations for a new camera aren't met ... naming, AF technology, ... - when I look at images I made using the K-5 ten years ago, I'm always astonished how good they are ,,, it's still a very capable camera!

Last edited by acoufap; 11-13-2022 at 03:09 AM.
11-13-2022, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
when I look at images I made using the K-5 ten years ago, I'm always astonished how good they are ,,, it's still a very capable camera!
Problem for Ricoh is that it goes for any camera they produce. But do not forget that the lenses must be of a certain quality to make you state that. Their glass is in the same league. (Perhaps third parties stopped making K-mount lenses, because it is so difficult to reach that high level of Pentax's lenses? ) So there is not always the need to buy another camera aimed at higher level usage as the entry level ones are already that good. The Canon's and the Nikon's, the Panasonics and so on are regularly bombing the consumer with their new just a little bit better camera's. Ricoh does not do that and maybe that is part of the problem that their are less and less Pentax users. Because regularily announcing a new camera puts a brand in the spotlights. With the "Ricoh way" people are astonished that the brand still exists. I am still happy with all my Pentax (and one Samsung) branded camera's. I will not part with any of them nor with any of my lenses.
11-13-2022, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I am personally disappointed in the KF. I have been told everyone knows why and I should not go over it again, so I won’t, but I am glad Pentax has not abandoned those of us who ‘live off’ their lower-tier cameras, even those of us who are Pentaxians and still don’t buy $2K cameras.

11-13-2022, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My last camera purchase was the K-1, and am perfectly satisfied with it, expecting it will be the last camera I ever buy. So I’m not in the market for another camera.

However it is awesome seeing that Ricoh is continuing to produce quality cameras for all budgets, sensor formats and performance levels.
11-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have owned a few cameras of this quality. My K-100D and I still have my K-x. I have no complaints with either of them beyond the sensor resolution.