Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
-snip-
PP consisted of a light brush with Neat Image and a low radius sharpening after resizing (0.3 X 90) . That was it. Noise at 640 was really not bad.
Thank you. Not that bad at all.

03-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
They look great to me. Of course, I have never had issues with the K10D's image quality, I think it's great.
"Of course"?
You are in for an experience if you dare to click this link:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=22440440
or follow this link, picture No 4 from the top:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21012720

Of course, to my understanding less than 50% wants to see anything. But if you are in a good mood you can make a try.
03-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very Nice

I have to commend you on your very fine images...Beautiful! Have you tried the 12-24 Pentax? I have it but haven't had the time to give it a real workout.
03-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
"Of course"?
You are in for an experience if you dare to click this link:
Re: There is no VPN in : Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
or follow this link, picture No 4 from the top:
K10D noise/bands/stripes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Of course, to my understanding less than 50% wants to see anything. But if you are in a good mood you can make a try.
First of all, maybe there is a language barrier at work here. "Of course" in the context that I used it means that my experience with it has been fine, not that I thought it was incapable of error.

I have seen these posts before and they don't really change my opinion. These photos are exactly what I would expect from high ISO shots in low light from film or digital.

03-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I have to commend you on your very fine images...Beautiful! Have you tried the 12-24 Pentax? I have it but haven't had the time to give it a real workout.
It was a small reward for a long cloudy fruitless day. I had a tripod with me but every time I tried to place it anywhere the security guards decended like jackals and told me to move on...so I cranked up the ISO and tried being covert....

The 12-24 is a good solid, workmanlike peice of glass. It has faults, like mild ca and some linear distortion, but neither are obtrusive compared to the 16-45. I have yet to try it in a studio but it could be a lot of fun. I think it beats the DA 14mm at the same focal length at F4 and also gives the DA 21 pancake a good run for its money with slightly less contrast but comparable sharpness stopped down. Corner sharpness is pretty good as well.
03-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Great stuff, Steve, of all of them I'll have to take #2 as my favorite, very nice indeed.

Cheers!
-Asad
03-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

First of all, maybe there is a language barrier at work here. "Of course" in the context that I used it means that my experience with it has been fine, not that I thought it was incapable of error.
Ah. I understand. I also feel a bit stupid as I understand I have used the expression "of course" in a wrong way houndreds of times. Thank you for pointing me to this. All I can do is to hope for understanding readers.

I have seen these posts before and they don't really change my opinion. These photos are exactly what I would expect from high ISO shots in low light from film or digital.
This I can not understand. Are you really expecting pattern noise at, for example, neutral backgrounds like in Alexandras portrait or Photo_mom's kitchen? Why would you - it hasn't been seen in pictures from any other camera using this sensor. (I'm not going to discuss this a lot as the discussion at DPR is enough to me.)

regards, and thanks again!
03-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its a real issue for sure

Are you really expecting pattern noise at, for example, neutral backgrounds like in Alexandras portrait or Photo_mom's kitchen? Why would you - it hasn't been seen in pictures from any other camera using this sensor. (I'm not going to discuss this a lot as the discussion at DPR is enough to me.)
However what I find odd is its lack of persistence. In some cases I can see it quite clearly and sometimes its simply unobtrusive. I hope they come up with a fix but its not really spoiling my fun - this camera is too noisy at ISO1600 to make using it a regular occurence, but at ISO1000 I dont see the pattern unless I push the exposure. Having ISO in 1/3 stops is great too. I find ISO640 a great compromise between speed and noise.

I also find Photolab provides far cleaner high ISO images than ACR with less VPN as well.

03-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Asad

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
Great stuff, Steve, of all of them I'll have to take #2 as my favorite, very nice indeed.

Cheers!
-Asad
Nice to hear from you again!
03-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve,

Really nice images here. Loved the first shot and think the second has excellent graphic appeal. Nicee to see the camera is working for you. Great job. Wish mine was

Works fine without the grip.

Stephen
03-18-2007, 01:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
However what I find odd is its lack of persistence. In some cases I can see it quite clearly and sometimes its simply unobtrusive. I hope they come up with a fix but its not really spoiling my fun - this camera is too noisy at ISO1600 to make using it a regular occurence, but at ISO1000 I dont see the pattern unless I push the exposure. Having ISO in 1/3 stops is great too. I find ISO640 a great compromise between speed and noise.
Yes, I also wondered about that. Herb explained that the VPN always is there, GordonBGood has showed it is caused by a hardware problem. (Re: VPN/HPN feel like hardware issues to me: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review)

My impression is that the level of VPN varies between cameras, or maybe it is due to something I can't identify.
Ordinary noise is easier to live with and I also like the gradations/tonalities in the K10D pictures. I wonder if Pentax ever will confirm the VPN or just make a K11D or something sooner than expected?

Last edited by Jonas B; 03-18-2007 at 01:31 AM. Reason: added a link
03-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyones guess

Yes, I also wondered about that. Herb explained that the VPN always is there, GordonBGood has showed it is caused by a hardware problem. (Re: VPN/HPN feel like hardware issues to me: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review)

My impression is that the level of VPN varies between cameras, or maybe it is due to something I can't identify.
Ordinary noise is easier to live with and I also like the gradations/tonalities in the K10D pictures. I wonder if Pentax ever will confirm the VPN or just make a K11D or something sooner than expected?
There is a very real possibility that the problem is inherent in the hardware configuration and therefore varies by individual camera because of component variation. As a result it may not be easily fixed in firmware (post correction) because of that variation or because it affects colour gradations or accuracy. I suspect if they could fix it without recalling all the cameras they would, but if they can't, to admit to a general problem would be suicidal given that no reviewers have made much of it..

I would expect the issue to be absent on the K20D or whatever, but that does not reduce my enthusiasm for the K10D all that much as I never used ISO1600 even on the DS or D.
03-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #28

Well done, Steve. I really like the colors.
03-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice pictures Steve