Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

DSLR Maintenance

Hi boys and girls, just got myself a K100D, my first DSLR. I've been wondering what I have to do to keep my new camera in good condition. Any tips?

12-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get a hand air blower (don't use canned air). I have a Rocket Air Blower and it's all I've had to use when I've gotten dust on the sensor (it will happen, but it's not a big deal).

To change lenses - keep your back to the wind.

I also use a two handed method to change lenses - I have the new lens all ready to go on (back cap off, lined up with the dot) in my right hand, usually use my right little finger to push the lens release button on the camera, then rotate the old lens with my left hand and remove it while immediately putting the new lens on the camera, so the body isn't exposed for more than a second or two. It takes a bit of practice, but will pay off if you change lenses outside all the time, like I do.

A soft lens brush is nice for dust on lenses (don't use on sensor). Occasionally use a lint-free cloth to clean the contacts on both your lenses and camera.

Make sure (especially at first) that you learn how to reset the camera back to its default settings. It's easy to play with all sorts of adjustments and get something out of whack and not remember what you did or know how to get it back to what it should be. Often it's easiest to just reset it back to the default settings and then go from there.

Take lots of pictures, try new things and have fun.
12-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do not drop it on a hard surface, nor submerge it it liquid, nor sit on it. And the stuff above :-)
12-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
ta!

And thanks for your words of wisdom too, specialk.

12-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also stay away from a very windy day at the beach.
12-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Definite Quote
Hi boys and girls, just got myself a K100D, my first DSLR. I've been wondering what I have to do to keep my new camera in good condition. Any tips?
If the camera gets dirty, clean it with a soft cloth BEFORE you put it in you camera bag. Once the grit is in the bag your camera will get scratched all the time and its impossible to get rid of it all.

Keep some silica gel in you camera bag and renew it every few months - this will reduce moisture and condensation to a minimum. In any event, store your camera somewhere reasonably dry and well ventilated. Lenses do get affected by fungus after a while.

Dont squirt canned air into the camera body when the lens is not on it. In fact I even recommend caution when using a rocket blower because that can force dirt into the mirror box and if they get a bit old, they spray tiny rubber flecks into the camera. If you get dust on the sensor use a recommended tool for removing it like an arctic butterfly, spec grabber or a wet cleaner if the dirt is stubborn.

If you do need to change lenses outdoors, get out of the wind and avoid dusty places. When you change lenses, keep the camera facing down and put the new lens on as soon as possible. This is my routine - it takes practice so its not a bad idea to try it a few times.

- Turn camera off
- Loosen rear cap from new lens and place lens face down in the bag...
- Remove old lens from camera and place face down in bag nest to it
- Move lens cap from new to old lens (dont tighten yet)
- Place new lens on camera
- Tighten rear cap on old lens

Dont use the manual focus ring when in AF mode except on lenses with a focus clutch (most Pentax DA lenses).

Turn the camera off before changing lenses, removing cards or mounting a flash.

When you buy a bag, make sure the rear LCD and rubber eyepeice surround is not rubbing when being carried. The eyepiece can split and the rear LCD scratches up a treat if any dust get on it. The best type of bag is one that carries the camera lens downwards.

Put the strap round your neck as soon as you take a camera out of the bag - even before you remove the lens cap.

Always attach the lens hood - it will protect your lenses front element.

When you go from cold to hot areas give the camera plenty of time to warm up. Dont use it if there is any condensation on the body or lens.

And finally it sounds a bit daft but - try and keep your hands reasonably clean.
01-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #7

Check your sensor for dust....

Take a lens that stops way down (e.g. a kit lens I have stops down to f/38) and stop it all the way down...then crank it up so you get a bright enough shot. Take a picture of a blue sky or a white wall or something equivalent. You should be able to see little specs. Take that photo and put it into a piece of editting software (I use picasa) and crank up the contrast. Then you'll see everything. It's pretty shocking when you do it sometimes.

Otherwise be really careful about dust, as has already been harped about above...

and go ahead and learn to clean your sensor youself. Many will cringe on this forum when I suggest this, but I use a pec pad and various (clean) soft instruments. I have used eclipse fluid down in there, and it helps with stubborn specs.

Also, if you're going to use screw mount lenses, you're going to have bits of metal down in there....this is the main reason I have had to deal with this so much.

-G