Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What is the cost of ownership of your Porsche or Ferrari vs. your Ford? I will use the old small block Chevy for example though the old Chevy engine just about everything made for it was useable from one size to another from the 265cid to the 400cid camshafts, heads, intakes ect., without added expense just like Pentax from the M42 through the latest K mounts they work some adjustment in settings may be needed but they work. Can the same be said for the Porsche's and Ferrari's I think not. I spoke with 2 differant "pros" and both were using Nikons one had paid $4500.00 for his tele. lens and I compaired his Images to mine later and was wondering why the lens was worth that much and the other was at an air show and he stated that he hated the A/F system on his cameras but had to use them for work. What is in a name, do you always get what you pay for, does a Rolex keep better time than a Timex (can it take the abuse?)? It is not all about the camera it is about your vision the person pressing the shutter button.

12-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

If you want to get technical, you can pretty much freely swap engines between any 911 built between '65-'98. And if you want to do the plumbing you can put a water cooled version in an early car as well

The Rolex analogy is flawed though, because a camera produces a subjective output (a photo). Time has an objective measure. With a Rolex (or other "nice" watch), the intangibles are the quality of construction, engineering involved, style, flash, etc. I can appreciate the marvelous build of a Rolex automatic, but realize that it won't keep better time than a Timex. The Rolex however isn't a disposable item, can be fixed, doesn't require batteries, etc. So there are a lot of factors.

For the record my ex gave me a Rolex Explorer 1 about 10 years ago. I actually don't wear it (or any watch), but do appreciate how cool the movement is. I wouldn't buy one for myself though...other things I'd rather spend my money on.
12-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
The definition of "pro cam" is pretty vague. The K20D is far more advanced (in most every regard) than my old Mamiya 645 (sold last year), yet most would consider the Mamiya a "pro cam" and the Pentax not. I'm using the Pentax for the same type of tasks as the Mamiya, so see no reason to downgrade the Pentax to something else. In other words, the K20D is a "pro cam" in my book. Same with the K10D.

I'll leave the FF issue to the other threads currently discussing that topic.

stewart
I agree 100% What defines a "pro" camera? Nikon and Canon's marketing department!!! Just becuase Pentax doesn't market it as pro, I still make money using Pentax and have never had a client turn me down becuase so. All they see is my past work, they like it and pay me.
12-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If you want to get technical, you can pretty much freely swap engines between any 911 built between '65-'98. And if you want to do the plumbing you can put a water cooled version in an early car as well

The Rolex analogy is flawed though, because a camera produces a subjective output (a photo). Time has an objective measure. With a Rolex (or other "nice" watch), the intangibles are the quality of construction, engineering involved, style, flash, etc. I can appreciate the marvelous build of a Rolex automatic, but realize that it won't keep better time than a Timex. The Rolex however isn't a disposable item, can be fixed, doesn't require batteries, etc. So there are a lot of factors.

For the record my ex gave me a Rolex Explorer 1 about 10 years ago. I actually don't wear it (or any watch), but do appreciate how cool the movement is. I wouldn't buy one for myself though...other things I'd rather spend my money on.
This was a point of referance not a tech. discussion if I wanted to do that I would have logged on to IATN, however the point is cost vs quality and flexability. I can fully appreciate a well designed and made piece of equipment but also appreciate value and Pentax is well designed and well made and has built in VALUE it just does not have brand recognition. By the way it does have style to read the postings a to people that chose it due to it's great feel in handeling compaired to the top two. By the way Photographs are measurable to.

12-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sluggo913 Quote
This was a point of referance not a tech. discussion if I wanted to do that I would have logged on to IATN, however the point is cost vs quality and flexability. I can fully appreciate a well designed and made piece of equipment but also appreciate value and Pentax is well designed and well made and has built in VALUE it just does not have brand recognition. By the way it does have style to read the postings a to people that chose it due to it's great feel in handeling compaired to the top two. By the way Photographs are measurable to.
Where did I go into a tech discussion? And besides, if you want to talk 911, go to the forums at Pelican Parts, not IATN.

I just didn't find your watch analogy apt. I own Pentax because their gear does have a style and aesthetic that I like, along with performance that works for me. I like my lenses made of metal, not plastic.

I suppose photographs are measurable...but I would never try. I don't quantify art. I'm not a big fan of so-called "objective" gear tests either. I get the shot or I don't. Measurements don't take pictures.
12-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow lots of comments...
I see that I hit a sensitive spot there...

And I am so glad that I did! its good to meet all of you and to see the Pentax community live and kicking is all the reassuring I needed.

Thanks guys! I will get my camera some time next week... I am sure I will have a lot of questions and I would also love to be active here and share some photos..

Thanks again!
12-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
One thing that nobody else has mentioned is that the 31 & 77 have aperture rings and can also work on your K1000. I'm in agreement with other people here that the DA12-24 is a great option for WA on digital APS-C sensors. With the 1.5x crop factor, that makes the FF equivalent 18-36mm.

If you want to see some excellent examples of what the 31 & 77 can do, then go check out the Lens section and do a search and you'll find plenty of examples that will most definitely fuel your LBA.

Heather
Six years ago I wanted to buy the 43 LTD for my K1000 kit but ended up buying a second kit in the form of the Nikon AF system. My Nikon kit today consists of a D40x with five lenses including the AF50/1.8D which is an excellent prime especially in manual focus mode on the D40x. I'm still captivated by the images I've seen from the 43 LTD though. It's very difficult to determine the differences between lenses and comparing my M50/1.7 to the AF50/1.8D is not that easy. I find the Nikon to be sharp and clinical while the Pentax on my K200D is smooth and pleasing.

The best a person can do is look at as many sample shots as possible and then choose.

12-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Don't fear to be different, go for it, enjoy your Pentax you'll not regret it.
12-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #39

I don't think Hoya acquired Pentax to close it down

As others said, don't wory too much just enjoy the gears