Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

future for pentax?

Hi guys...
I am new here and I am happy to find this forum.
believe it or not until two months ago the only camera I had was the K1000 I took it with me every where never felt like I need something else. two years ago I got a small Casio P&S but that's it. I consider my self an advance armature...
all my friends move on to the 300D or d40 I stuck with film.
but now I am looking for my first DSLR.
I don't have a huge Pentax lenses collection but I do have love for this brand, I got to say that looking around it looks scary to choose Pentax as the K20D is the best they have so far and no pro cam or FF cam after all these years.

what I though to get is the K20D + 31mm + 77mm awesome kit no doubt but what about the future. digital camera will not last as much as the K1000 and all my friends are getting the 5D II or the D700... also the more I wait the more the canon 50D get cheaper and looks more attractive.

I really love Pentax I want to go with them I also the biggest fan of not dealing with the tech and just go and shoot... but I must say I am confused.

happy holidays guys!!

would love to hear from you

12-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I got to say that looking around it looks scary to choose Pentax as the K20D is the best they have so far and no pro cam or FF cam after all these years.
This seems like a strange fear to me. I'm never going to spend upwards of $2000 for a camera body, so I appreciate a company that focuses on putting their best features into the models in my price range.

QuoteQuote:
what I though to get is the K20D + 31mm + 77mm awesome kit no doubt but what about the future.
Well, one can never predict the future perfectly, and it's true that there's a greater risk of something happening to Pentax than to Canon or Nikon especially with Samsung looking less attached to K-mount. But, I think things look reasonably safe for the foreseeable future. Hoya, the company that recently bought Pentax, looks very serious about making the camera business work. The K20D is proof of that, and they've said there will be three new models next year.

I don't think those will be a full-frame or "pro" model, though. I expect a replacement for the K20D and K200D in March, and then an upgrade for the K1000/K-m for the Christmas season.

And this seems like a good move to me what with the economy and all. Would you really rather they focus on low-profit prestige cameras? Meanwhile, your friends can sink their money into expensive camera bodies that don't really get much better results, and you can put that money into lenses.

Or, you know, christmas cookies.
12-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks

I know ... I know...

and hey for few years I got better results with my k1000 and the 50mm 1.7 then others with digital. but not any more ...

I definitely wants to go with Pentax for the lasses... I love primes and as I look around the 31mm and 77mm are two of the best you can get.

(this all kit will cost me around $2000 so I am willing to pay I just want to get the most for my money )

but it looks like full fame is the future for the cnonikon it will get cheaper and cheaper and I am a big fan of getting wide angle and better bokeh.

I think that I will go with Pentax BC I LOVE LOVE the lenses and the results I see at the Pentax gallery But I wish they would tell me they are planing on a FF camera in the future or at least what they are planing for the future.

Thanks again!
12-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Buy the K20 and lenses you want then go out and shoot some pictures you won't be disappointed. I won't go into all the pluses, it has all been done many times before read a number of postings, no one knows what the future holds for anything so follow your heart, mind, and bank account.

12-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are right!

And I will... and my heart say Pentax.

OK now I do not want to open a new thread but...

Is the 31mm as amazing as they say even for digital or am I better with one of the DA and saving the money?

Thanks!!
12-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Hi guys...
I consider my self an advance armature...

An electric motor part? Hi, there! :-)

If you are not into the "tech", why worry about FF? There are many more variables in creating a good image than that.
12-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
An electric motor part? Hi, there! :-)

If you are not into the "tech", why worry about FF? There are many more variables in creating a good image than that.
I know I am kind of ashamed about this thread every time I look at the Pentax gallery. but I will tell you how it started... a good friend of mine pro photographer and one of the BEST street candid photographers that I know.

So I was already all set on the Pentax and just sent him an email to see what is opinion (he is a Canon guy using the 5D and the 50mm1.4 for his street shots)
any way that's his answer to me:

"Hellooo

Dont know much about Pentax, but it's okay...

Personally, if i need a small and cheap camera i will have a look to one of this Panasonic lumix camera, or Fuji which are great for dynamic range and color restitution.

If you will like to have something a little better for a start but not pro, i will go for either a Nikon or Canon one. Why? The main reason is if you buy a decent good lens, you could upgrade your body later but still keep your lens, a good way to protect your money.. Well, kind of because at the end, you are obviously going to loose money , this kind of technology is moving light fast....
"

so you see that shook my confidence about my choice a little bit but I will go with my instincts and what I see

Thanks again!
12-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Here's one way of looking at it; If you go with Pentax and end up not happy, you will at least be able to afford to change systems. If you invest in CaNikon and you're not happy, you're screwed.

12-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #9

what I though to get is the K20D + 31mm + 77mm awesome kit no doubt but what about the future. digital camera will not last as much as the K1000 and all my friends are getting the 5D II or the D700... also the more I wait the more the canon 50D get cheaper and looks more attractive.
I put myself in the same position as you. I shot film exclusively until about 2 years ago when I bought the K10d.

I had held out on buying the K20d as I felt I wanted more than what the K10d had to offer and I only had one zoom. So, I looked at both Canon and Nikon to get a feel as to what systems and lenses they had that would fill my needs - prime lenses.

I finally made the decision to go with the K20d and invested in the 21, 35 f2, 50 macro and the 70. I now have the quality of images that I want without having to worry about CA. I could not have done as well with the others as their primes are not in the same class as these.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
12-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Here's one way of looking at it; If you go with Pentax and end up not happy, you will at least be able to afford to change systems. If you invest in CaNikon and you're not happy, you're screwed.

I doubt that I would not be happy with it, that's not even an issue for me.

I will tell you more then that all of these cameras are way complicated for my style any way. You see this is how I use to shoot 1) set speed , 2) set focus, 3) set aperture until the little stick is in the middle (actually a little above the middle my k1000 tend to under), 4) take a picture... this worked great for me for a long long time.

any way I am sure I will be more more then happy ...
12-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
I put myself in the same position as you. I shot film exclusively until about 2 years ago when I bought the K10d.

I had held out on buying the K20d as I felt I wanted more than what the K10d had to offer and I only had one zoom. So, I looked at both Canon and Nikon to get a feel as to what systems and lenses they had that would fill my needs - prime lenses.

I finally made the decision to go with the K20d and invested in the 21, 35 f2, 50 macro and the 70. I now have the quality of images that I want without having to worry about CA. I could not have done as well with the others as their primes are not in the same class as these.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Hi there

I see that you got the DA lenses and not the FA

I am actually thinking about the FA 31 and 77 is that a problem for digital bodies? from the reviews I read and samples I see not at all... but I would love to know what you think

Thanks!
12-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #12

Hi there

I am actually thinking about the FA 31 and 77 is that a problem for digital bodies? from the reviews I read and samples I see not at all... but I would love to know what you think

Thanks!
From what I understand, they test will in comparison to the DA lenses. Remember, the FA lenses are from the film era and are more expensive and heavier. The DA limited lenses are of the same quality, more compact but do not have the "cult' status as the FA limiteds.

Since I do a lot of bush walking and have a waist bag, I can easily pack all of my new lenses and camera - and I am 65! More oft than not, the only lenses I would take would be the 21 and 35 - as 95% of my images are shot in that range.

Of note, prior to this purchase, my most used lenses with my K10d were 70's era 28mm f3.5 and 55mm f1.8 - both of which were exceptional.

Cheers and good night,

Cheers,
12-25-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi there

Thanks!
the 77 is a magic portrait lens on my K20d. Period. I just got a 31 today and it is quite stunning as well. And I got a 43 a few weeks ago. The FA ltd lenses are amazing with an APS sensor. And will work with FF it if ever comes. The body and sensor size are the least of your worries imho...I've made some of my best images with a P&S. The sensor size just doesn't matter unless you have some really stringent requirements wrt ultra low noise with no light, etc. For general shooting it isn't an issue...unless all you care about are machine tests and spec sheets. But those don't shoot any images. People do.
12-25-2008, 02:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have full confidence in the PENTAX system. Now that HOYA are on board! HOYA is one of the worlds largest makers of optical glass.. Were do you think the glass for some Canon lenses and Nikon lenses come from? With the sensor from samsung the only major part outsourced! Were as Nikon have to outsource the sensors and the optical glass for the system (Thats why Nikon are expensive D3X $8,000 usd?)

Last edited by Adrian Owerko; 12-25-2008 at 02:19 AM.
12-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I am a big fan of getting wide angle and better bokeh.
Strange to hear, since the 31 is "normal" on the Pentax sensor and the 77 is a short telephoto. Did I miss something somewhere?