Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2022, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Please help me kick these ideas around in my head.

EDIT: After much thought and reading all responses here carefully, I have decided to stay with Pentax and I have ordered a K1-MKII. I would like to thank everyone who responded. I received very useful advice and I sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you!

A hard decision....*

I’ve been a Pentax fan and user for well over a decade. I love the ergonomics, ruggedness, and control scheme of Pentax cameras. They are a joy for me to shoot with. I am currently using an old Pentax K20D.*

The K20D is a 14 Megapixel camera, and has served me well, but it’s terrible low light performance, terrible autofocus, and general out dated-ness has led me to decide it is time to upgrade, as I want to dip my toes into more professional work on the side.**

My current kit is:*

Pentax k20D*

*SMC Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 - Full Frame*

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto - Full Frame

Pentax A50mm F2 - Full Frame Vintage

Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL – APS-C*

Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens - APS-C

Out of these lenses, I love the 50mm, and like the 35mm. The sigma is also a nice lens that I don't often use.

*I am considering a few cameras. The Pentax K1-Mk ii, the Pentax K-3 iii, the Sony A7R III, the Sony A7 IV*

Reasons I love Pentax:*

Optical viewfinder: I PREFER this over EVF. I’m making no claims that it is better, just my preference. It makes me FEEL more connected to the process in a way I prefer and it brings me joy. I understand the EVF has advantages and I respect that. I am also a wood worker, so an apt comparison for me would be a power planar vs a hand planar. The power planar is faster, more consistent, and more precise. It’s great for cookie cutter results delivered in the same way every time for production line type work. The hand planar is less consistent, takes more skill and practice to use well, but creates a more intimate and connected experience making for work I find more joyful and fulfilling. Both are great tools, but if I had to choose one, I enjoy using the hand planar more. It just makes me happy, and that’s important to me.**

Rugged weather proofing: The K1 is a tank. It’s a go anywhere in any sort of weather camera. I love this, as I enjoy landscape, travel, and nature photography, sometimes in very extreme conditions.**

Ergonomics: I love the ergonomics and control placement of Pentax cameras. It feels natural to me and they fit my hands well. I am a large man in my early 40’s. I have large hands, I am strong. When I backpack I don’t mind slinging 80 pounds on my back if I need to. The size of the Pentax K1 and large DSLR’s is an ADVANTAGE to me. The weight of the camera and lenses means nothing to me. I often see size and weight touted as an advantage to mirrorless. This is great for smaller or older folks who have a hard time with large tools, but that is not me. I hate small tools because it’s very hard to use them comfortably with the size of my hands. Maybe this will change when I’m 70, but for now small, light weight cameras to me are a big disadvantage. If I need to go small, I can use my phone.*

Lenses: Pentax makes some fantastic lenses. I’d like to get the 85mm 1.4, the 15-30mm, and the new 100mm macro.**

I love the 36 MP sensor of the K1, I love it’s size, ergonomics, high iso performance, and super rugged build. I can get it with the battery grip for 1799 and I already have a nice 50mm to go on it. I find astrophotography as a new hobby to be very interesting.*

Drawbacks:*

Smaller used market. I’ve looked at used K1 MKII and the price difference of used vs new is so small I would never make that choice.**

Poor autofocus.**

Questionable future of the system.**

I’m irritated as hell that the K1 MK III isn’t a thing yet. Pentax moves so slowly and I hate that about them.**

Alternative choice:*

Sony A7R III – on sale right now for 1999$*

I like the look of this camera. 42MP, great autofocus, more varied lens choices, though that doesn’t always mean BETTER lens choices.**

Downsides for me are EVF, battery life, overheating issues, less rugged, and small size which will be difficult with my large hands. I also don’t like the layout of buttons and dials. I don’t mind chimping a little as a consequence of keeping the OVF. I don’t like to shoot with live view, I’ll never use that on either camera most likely.*

The biggest upside to me is the autofocus.**

That said, I’m not a closed minded curmudgeon. I’m open to considering possibilities.**

What will I be doing?**

I’m going to be embarking on a second career in which I would like to shoot portraits (Family, headshots, engagement, seniors etc.) I may dabble in product and real estate photography. I will shoot landscapes to perchance sell at art shows. I will shoot candid's for my own pleasure. I have no interest in weddings or sports (other than my sons soccer games). I have absolutely no interest in video production of any kind. Only stills.**

I do not need to pay bills with this endeavor. I’m fortunate enough that it’s simply going to be supplemental income chasing a dream. I could make 0$ and suffer no consequences. It’s a passion project.**

I’m really looking to get feedback from other photographers on the fitness of these systems for my uses.**

Will the K1 autofocus well enough for me to get some nice shots at my kids soccer game? Because if it will that’s great. Everything else I do will be slow paced. Is the autofocus on the K1 much better than the old k20D?**

Does the Sony have more advantages that I’m not seeing? It has a slightly higher MP count, better autofocus and much better video. However, I have no interest in video.**

Looking back at what I’ve written, it seems like the Pentax is still a good choice for me, but it’s a big investment and I’d just love some discussion.**

Thanks!**

Last edited by pblogic; 11-28-2022 at 03:20 PM.
11-22-2022, 03:42 PM - 3 Likes   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by pblogic Quote
A hard decision....*

Iíve been a Pentax fan and user for well over a decade. I love the ergonomics, ruggedness, and control scheme of Pentax cameras. They are a joy for me to shoot with. I am currently using an old Pentax K20D.*

The K20D is a 14 Megapixel camera, and has served me well, but itís terrible low light performance, terrible autofocus, and general out dated-ness has led me to decide it is time to upgrade, as I want to dip my toes into more professional work on the side.**

Pentax k20D*

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Ė APS-C*

Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Ė APS-C*

Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Ė APS-C*

Out of these lenses, I love the 50mm, and like the 35mm. The 18-55 is a pointless stinker, and I have little use for the 70-300 most of the time.*

*I am considering a few cameras. The Pentax K1-Mk ii, the Pentax K-3 iii, the Sony A7R III, the Sony A7 IV*

Optical viewfinder: I PREFER this over EVF. Iím making no claims that it is better, just my preference. It makes me FEEL more connected to the process in a way I prefer and it brings me joy. I understand the EVF has advantages and I respect that. I am also a wood worker, so an apt comparison for me would be a power planar vs a hand planar. The power planar is faster, more consistent, and more precise. Itís great for cookie cutter results delivered in the same way every time for production line type work. The hand planar is less consistent, takes more skill and practice to use well, but creates a more intimate and connected experience making for work I find more joyful and fulfilling. Both are great tools, but if I had to choose one, I enjoy using the hand planar more. It just makes me happy, and thatís important to me.**

Rugged weather proofing: The K1 is a tank. Itís a go anywhere in any sort of weather camera. I love this, as I enjoy landscape, travel, and nature photography, sometimes in very extreme conditions.**

Ergonomics: I love the ergonomics and control placement of Pentax cameras. It feels natural to me and they fit my hands well. I am a large man in my early 40ís. I have large hands, I am strong. When I backpack I donít mind slinging 80 pounds on my back if I need to. The size of the Pentax K1 and large DSLRís is an ADVANTAGE to me. The weight of the camera and lenses means nothing to me. I often see size and weight touted as an advantage to mirrorless. This is great for smaller or older folks who have a hard time with large tools, but that is not me. I hate small tools because itís very hard to use them comfortably with the size of my hands. Maybe this will change when Iím 70, but for now small, light weight cameras to me are a big disadvantage. If I need to go small, I can use my phone.*

Lenses: Pentax makes some fantastic lenses. Iíd like to get the 85mm 1.4, the 15-30mm, and the new 100mm macro.**

I love the 36 MP sensor of the K1, I love itís size, ergonomics, high iso performance, and super rugged build. I can get it with the battery grip for 1799 and I already have a nice 50mm to go on it. I find astrophotography as a new hobby to be very interesting.*

Smaller used market. Iíve looked at used K1 MKII and the price difference of used vs new is so small I would never make that choice.**

Poor autofocus.**

Iím irritated as hell that the K1 MK III isnít a thing yet. Pentax moves so slowly and I hate that about them.**

Sony A7R III Ė on sale right now for 1999$*

I like the look of this camera. 42MP, great autofocus, more varied lens choices, though that doesnít always mean BETTER lens choices.**

Downsides for me are EVF, battery life, overheating issues, less rugged, and small size which will be difficult with my large hands. I also donít like the layout of buttons and dials. I donít mind chimping a little as a consequence of keeping the OVF. I donít like to shoot with live view, Iíll never use that on either camera most likely.*

That said, Iím not a closed minded curmudgeon. Iím open to considering possibilities.**

What will I be doing?**

Iím going to be embarking on a second career in which I would like to shoot portraits (Family, headshots, engagement, seniors etc.) I may dabble in product and real estate photography. I will shoot landscapes to perchance sell at art shows. I will shoot candid's for my own pleasure. I have no interest in weddings or sports (other than my sons soccer games). I have absolutely no interest in video production of any kind. Only stills.**

I do not need to pay bills with this endeavor. Iím fortunate enough that itís simply going to be supplemental income chasing a dream. I could make 0$ and suffer no consequences. Itís a passion project.**

Iím really looking to get feedback from other photographers on the fitness of these systems for my uses.**

Will the K1 autofocus well enough for me to get some nice shots at my kids soccer game? Because if it will thatís great. Everything else I do will be slow paced. Is the autofocus on the K1 much better than the old k20D?**

Does the Sony have more advantages that Iím not seeing? It has a slightly higher MP count, better autofocus and much better video. However, I have no interest in video.**

Looking back at what Iíve written, it seems like the Pentax is still a good choice for me, but itís a big investment and Iíd just love some discussion.**

Thanks!**

I moved from K10d to K3, KP, K1...Started shooting soccer games with the K10d. K3 was quite an improvement. KP and K1 even more so. Autofocus during soccer games is absolutely no issue with the K1. It's more important to know where the ball could go...
11-22-2022, 03:42 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It’s a passion project.

For me, it would come down to OVF vs EVF.
Especially if it's a passion project, I'd rather enjoy the experience as the photographer with a beautiful OVF rather than thru any EVF I've ever tried.

Your interests don't scream the need for killer autofocus. I say go for a K-1.
11-22-2022, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A hard decision....*

I’ve been a Pentax fan and user for well over a decade. I love the ergonomics, ruggedness, and control scheme of Pentax cameras. They are a joy for me to shoot with. I am currently using an old Pentax K20D.*

The K20D is a 14 Megapixel camera, and has served me well, but it’s terrible low light performance, terrible autofocus, and general out dated-ness has led me to decide it is time to upgrade, as I want to dip my toes into more professional work on the side.**

Pentax k20D*

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto – APS-C*

Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II – APS-C*

Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL – APS-C*

Out of these lenses, I love the 50mm, and like the 35mm. The 18-55 is a pointless stinker, and I have little use for the 70-300 most of the time.*

Optical viewfinder: I PREFER this over EVF. I’m making no claims that it is better, just my preference. It makes me FEEL more connected to the process in a way I prefer and it brings me joy. I understand the EVF has advantages and I respect that. I am also a wood worker, so an apt comparison for me would be a power planar vs a hand planar. The power planar is faster, more consistent, and more precise. It’s great for cookie cutter results delivered in the same way every time for production line type work. The hand planar is less consistent, takes more skill and practice to use well, but creates a more intimate and connected experience making for work I find more joyful and fulfilling. Both are great tools, but if I had to choose one, I enjoy using the hand planar more. It just makes me happy, and that’s important to me.**

Rugged weather proofing: The K1 is a tank. It’s a go anywhere in any sort of weather camera. I love this, as I enjoy landscape, travel, and nature photography, sometimes in very extreme conditions.**

Ergonomics: I love the ergonomics and control placement of Pentax cameras. It feels natural to me and they fit my hands well. I am a large man in my early 40’s. I have large hands, I am strong. When I backpack I don’t mind slinging 80 pounds on my back if I need to. The size of the Pentax K1 and large DSLR’s is an ADVANTAGE to me. The weight of the camera and lenses means nothing to me. I often see size and weight touted as an advantage to mirrorless. This is great for smaller or older folks who have a hard time with large tools, but that is not me. I hate small tools because it’s very hard to use them comfortably with the size of my hands. Maybe this will change when I’m 70, but for now small, light weight cameras to me are a big disadvantage. If I need to go small, I can use my phone.*

Lenses: Pentax makes some fantastic lenses. I’d like to get the 85mm 1.4, the 15-30mm, and the new 100mm macro.**

I love the 36 MP sensor of the K1, I love it’s size, ergonomics, high iso performance, and super rugged build. I can get it with the battery grip for 1799 and I already have a nice 50mm to go on it. I find astrophotography as a new hobby to be very interesting.*

Smaller used market. I’ve looked at used K1 MKII and the price difference of used vs new is so small I would never make that choice.**

Poor autofocus.**

I’m irritated as hell that the K1 MK III isn’t a thing yet. Pentax moves so slowly and I hate that about them.**

Sony A7R III – on sale right now for 1999$*

I like the look of this camera. 42MP, great autofocus, more varied lens choices, though that doesn’t always mean BETTER lens choices.**

Downsides for me are EVF, battery life, overheating issues, less rugged, and small size which will be difficult with my large hands. I also don’t like the layout of buttons and dials. I don’t mind chimping a little as a consequence of keeping the OVF. I don’t like to shoot with live view, I’ll never use that on either camera most likely.*

That said, I’m not a closed minded curmudgeon. I’m open to considering possibilities.**

What will I be doing?**

I’m going to be embarking on a second career in which I would like to shoot portraits (Family, headshots, engagement, seniors etc.) I may dabble in product and real estate photography. I will shoot landscapes to perchance sell at art shows. I will shoot candid's for my own pleasure. I have no interest in weddings or sports (other than my sons soccer games). I have absolutely no interest in video production of any kind. Only stills.**

I do not need to pay bills with this endeavor. I’m fortunate enough that it’s simply going to be supplemental income chasing a dream. I could make 0$ and suffer no consequences. It’s a passion project.**

I’m really looking to get feedback from other photographers on the fitness of these systems for my uses.**

Will the K1 autofocus well enough for me to get some nice shots at my kids soccer game? Because if it will that’s great. Everything else I do will be slow paced. Is the autofocus on the K1 much better than the old k20D?**

Does the Sony have more advantages that I’m not seeing? It has a slightly higher MP count, better autofocus and much better video. However, I have no interest in video.**

Looking back at what I’ve written, it seems like the Pentax is still a good choice for me, but it’s a big investment and I’d just love some discussion.**

Thanks!**

Buying either into a new system or into a full frame system will mean buying new lenses as most of yours are K-mount APSC. If you want to re-use your lenses with a new body, then you are looking at a K70/KF/K3iii (or a used K5 series/K3 series/KP). Given your needs the KF or K70 or a used more premium model are probably perfectly fine. This would also leave money left over for another lens or so.

Last edited by jgnfld; 11-22-2022 at 03:53 PM.
11-22-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
I moved from K10d to K3, KP, K1...Started shooting soccer games with the K10d. K3 was quite an improvement. KP and K1 even more so. Autofocus during soccer games is absolutely no issue with the K1. It's more important to know where the ball could go...
Thank you, that's really helpful! It's been so long that I haven't been able to find any information on how much better the K1 2 focuses over the K20D. Knowing that it can handle a soccer game well really helps with my decision.
11-22-2022, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I still use my *istD as well as most of my other older bodies … I don't have a problem with any of them, when used within their design limitations … similarly, I don't have a problem with the 18-55mm "kit" lens, in fact I just bought a third!
My Tamron 70-300mm is regularly used … so we have little in common
Buy a K-3iii and a set of primes and be happy … my K-3iii may well be the last camera I ever buy (new) … I'm saving up for the primes
11-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
For me, it would come down to OVF vs EVF.
Especially if it's a passion project, I'd rather enjoy the experience as the photographer with a beautiful OVF rather than thru any EVF I've ever tried.

Your interests don't scream the need for killer autofocus. I say go for a K-1.
Thanks! It's great to get the reassurance on the path I was leaning towards. There's so much hype out there for mirror less these days, and I respect the advantages, but it can make you feel dumb for preferring an OVF in many circles. I really love the OVF experience still.

11-22-2022, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even the K5 handled soccer games very well. I used it for years. The K-1ii is of course a huge improvement over that, so coming from the K20 it's chalk and cheese.
The K-1ii's optical viewfinder is bliss. If you like OVF like I do and dislike looking at a little EVF screen, then the K-1ii is the logical choice in my view.

Or, you can stump up the big bucks and get a new K-3III. I'm sure that's a big step up too. Or, wait for the next K-1 which, I'm sure, will incorporate tech from the K-3III in FF format. And will be even pricier. So, if budget is a consideration, then the K-1ii is the way to go in my view.
11-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I still use my *istD as well as most of my other older bodies … I don't have a problem with any of them, when used within their design limitations … similarly, I don't have a problem with the 18-55mm "kit" lens, in fact I just bought a third!
My Tamron 70-300mm is regularly used … so we have little in common
Buy a K-3iii and a set of primes and be happy … my K-3iii may well be the last camera I ever buy (new) … I'm saving up for the primes
The 18-55 isn't a bad lens at all, and I quite like the Sigma 70-300. I just don't use them. When I was pretty inexperienced over a decade ago, I ended up buying lenses that were not well suited for the things I ended up liking to shoot. So when I said the 18-55 was a pointless stinker, I should have said it was a pointless stinker for me. Thanks for the advice! In a perfect world I would buy a k3 and k1! Awhile back I saw some rumors that there may someday be a black and white only k3... If there ever is, I WILL buy that. Thanks for the input![COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by pblogic; 11-22-2022 at 04:44 PM.
11-22-2022, 04:53 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K3-ii works good even at night and ISO 12800. Focus depends as much or more on the user, the better you understand the games the better you will be at anticipating what will happen so your looking in the right place at the right time. PS. looks much better on Flickr. .
11-22-2022, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1 II has a much better autofocus than cameras that came before it and that includes the K-1

Paired with a modern DFA lens like the 70-200 or 150-450 you will get great results using AF-C.
11-22-2022, 05:45 PM - 4 Likes   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

you could rent a K-1 for a week, see if it serves you well - and go from there....
11-22-2022, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
you could rent a K-1 for a week, see if it serves you well - and go from there....
A fine idea, thank you.
11-22-2022, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

While staying in the Pentax system is really nice, Have you thought of keeping your k20d, and getting a full frame mirrorless? it would help with low-light, and you get to enjoy both an OVF and EVF.
11-22-2022, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

I'm a K-3 III user, so I'm used to the latest model. My first Pentax was a K20D. A few months ago, I had the chance to borrow a K-1 II from Pentax and use it for an afternoon.

I had been a bit skeptical of the difference between APS-C and full frame, but I could see that the K-1 II images were clearly better than the K-3 III. The AF was not as K-3 III's focusing is better, but there is already a big improvement you will notice from the K20D. I didn't try sports with the K-1 II, but I had no particular frustration with the AF while I was using it walking around the city.

So given your stated preferences and needs, especially as someone who will need to deliver professional image quality, I think the K-1 II is a great choice. Also, it is really cheap for what you get. Cameras are getting more expensive by the month but the K-1 II (a mid-range full frame camera) is priced like an entry level full frame camera or a high-end APS-C by modern standards.

Regarding optimizing the AF for sports, you need to choose a lens with good focusing. The DFA 70-210/4 might be good for that but I'm not an expert on it. There are many nice primes past and present for the portraiture work you could consider. When I was testing the K-1 II, it had the HD FA Limited 43mm on it but I think my SMC FA 35mm produced even sharper results.