Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #1

K10D No memory card in the camera problem

Hello all,
I have Pentax K10D, 15 months old. No problems until yesterday.
I turned the camera on, and I got the message "no memory card in the camera".
I checked; there was a memory card. I tried another memory card; got the same message. I tried the memory card with another camera; no problems with the card.

What is the problem with my K10D?
The last time I use the camera, I browsed trough the content of the card and deleted some 20 pictures (using camera's "erase-function").

I took the battery off for overnight, but still I have the same problem.
Any suggestions?

12-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try a system reset. I don't see anything that can be done beside that. Good luck!
12-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Niemiri Quote
Hello all,
I checked; there was a memory card. I tried another memory card; got the same message. I tried the memory card with another camera; no problems with the card.

The last time I use the camera, I browsed trough the content of the card and deleted some 20 pictures (using camera's "erase-function").

Any suggestions?

Try reformatting the card on your K10D. Sometimes deleting pictures can mess up the card's directory structure.
12-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
Try reformatting the card on your K10D. Sometimes deleting pictures can mess up the card's directory structure.
Do you think the camera can format a card it can't see?

12-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #5

Hello all,

Any suggestions?

There a fingernail slot on the SD card. Try pulling the card out a little after you insert it.

Try a new battery.

Do you see the red IO indicator on the back of the camera flash when you insert the card? If you do, then maybe start the camera in the firmware update mode with the firmware on the disk. Maybe flashing the firmware will help. Be sure to use a fully charged battery.
12-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about the "turn your camera off and remove the battery and leave for a while" trick?
12-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I had / have a very similar problem with my K10D. I had to send mine back to Colorado because it wasn't able to read SD cards anymore.

This is the full description of the problem that I forwarded to Pentax. They told me to send it back to them.

Camera has difficulty recognizing the SD cards that I put inside it. I use standard size SD cards of 2GB capacity and I format them in the camera. In the middle of shooting it will tell me that there is no card inside it, or that the card is unformatted. Mind you, there may be many pictures already on it. I have to turn the camera off, take the card out, put it back in and turn it back on again. Sometimes this doesn’t work and I have to perform that routine many times. Also, very often when I turn the camera on before shooting, it will say there is no card in the camera or that it is unformatted. The same routine is used to fix it. I have tried many different brands of SD card and replicated the problem.

12-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

caution! Please avoiding collide to your own K10D!

Hello all,

What is the problem with my K10?
QuoteOriginally posted by Slowpoke Rodriguez Quote
I had / have a very similar problem with my K10D. I had to send mine back to Colorado because it wasn't able to read SD cards anymore.

This is the full description of the problem that I forwarded to Pentax. They told me to send it back to them.
caution! Please avoiding collide to your own K10D!

An answer is here (text and pictures):
Ask for Pentax DSLR internal craft improvement (I):
Ask for Pentax DSLR internal ...
or
Ask for Pentax DSLR internal ...
12-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account

K10D main PCB and its reader

K10D reader and main-PCB both side has taken a hard connector, it is a bad design way, and K10d is just a half length metallic framework, which it easily cause the serious accidents:

12-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Other several English of Pentax's users feedback:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/35160-memory-card-...rognostic.html

K10d "Memory Card Error" - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Random card (write) errors with the K10D - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Except the above 5 users, at least there were also other 3 users feedbacks to the same failure problem. The agent service of Pentax (China) told the consumer: this failure does not warranty, and then an expensive near 430.00USD for the replacing a new main PCB.
12-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks to you all on your replies.

However, nothing helped.

Now I have some extra messages. first "no card in the camera", then after few seconds "memory card error", and then "Card not formatted". The order seems to change.

It is not a card problem; I bought a new one, and it works in another camera.

I will contact Belgian dealer of Pentax, and try to argue that this should be repaired at their expense.
12-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
Inactive Account

However, nothing helped.
Sorry, I did not help more to you, and the above reply is as an only help of information to you.

It is not a card problem; I bought a new one, and it works in another camera.
I will contact Belgian dealer of Pentax, and try to argue that this should be repaired at their expense.
Yes, which was not a SD card's problem to your K10D.
This is a serious defect at the manufacturer obviously.
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hope i'm not too late for this post but here's what happened to me..Purchased an 8gig SDHC card for the K10D..
Camera wouldnt read it "memory card error" message.
Tried it in the istDs and worked perfect????...
Forgot about it and just run with what other cards i had , then the other day at the local hardly Normans shop they had the 8 gig Lexma>> SDHC cards on special so i bought one and works perfect in the K10D???.
Maybe it the particular brand the camera doesnt like that you are using??..
Did you purchas eit off fleabay???
Cheers