Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

K200D setup tips?

Hi, I have just had my new K200D for 2 days (Christmas present)
This is my first DSLR and I must say I am overwhelmed by all the possible settings and options in the menus.
Are there any basic settings that most owners of this camera would change from the default straight away as soon as they get this camera?

12-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's going to be completely personal - you might as well ask someone else what toppings to order for your pizza.

FWIW, I'd say, shoot RAW, use "M" exposure mode and learn how ISO, aperture and shutter work so you can set them yourself with the aid of the camera meter and the green button, then instantly most other settings become irrelevant. But that's maybe not great advice for for someone just starting out...
12-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The very first thing I would do is get rid of the "Bright" mode and change over to "Natural". Setting the camera to "Natural" will yield much better JPEG images. I would also recommend shooting RAW, but not until you see how changing the various settings affect the end result. You'll learn the camera and be able to see the result of your testing easier by shooting JPEG.
12-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #4

There's a review over at dpreview.com that gives a number of suggested settings and the reasoning behind them: Pentax K200D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

12-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In addition to the other suggestions here, I'd suggest changing the DOF preview to stop down the lens rather than take an image for you to review. Its a far easier tool to learn about aperture.
12-27-2008, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
Hi, I have just had my new K200D for 2 days (Christmas present)
This is my first DSLR and I must say I am overwhelmed by all the possible settings and options in the menus.
Are there any basic settings that most owners of this camera would change from the default straight away as soon as they get this camera?
G'day johngs,
I would suggest that you set the camera to auto or P for a start and take note of what the camera is metering. Assuming that you are using the Pentax software, you can easily check the exposure settings there. (as well as in camera).

Take all sorts of shots in all sorts of situations. The more the merrier (thats what the delete button is for )

When you get shots that do not work, or are not to your liking, then post those with the exif data intact and then we can (gladly) offer you some advice.

Just one word of caution, if you are expecting National Geographic or Vogue magazine type shots straight up, then be prepared to be dis-appointed. Sometimes you can be lucky, but more often than not you will get a mixture of good & bad. The challenge is working out why.

Happy shooting, just go out and have some fun with it.

Cheers.
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
The very first thing I would do is get rid of the "Bright" mode and change over to "Natural". Setting the camera to "Natural" will yield much better JPEG images. I would also recommend shooting RAW, but not until you see how changing the various settings affect the end result. You'll learn the camera and be able to see the result of your testing easier by shooting JPEG.
I'm reading this thread with interest... but I don't seem to be able to find Bright mode, or Natural...

12-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I'm reading this thread with interest... but I don't seem to be able to find Bright mode, or Natural...
Press the Fn button, then OK, then the left and right buttons of the four-way controller.

I'm sure that's covered in the manual, BTW...
12-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just switched mine to the "green" setting
01-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rpriedhorsky Quote
There's a review over at dpreview.com that gives a number of suggested settings and the reasoning behind them: Pentax K200D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Hi,
Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but can you point me to where on that webpage the K200D setup tips are. please.
01-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but can you point me to where on that webpage the K200D setup tips are, please.
01-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by dougiewill Quote
Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but can you point me to where on that webpage the K200D setup tips are, please.
Dougie,

It's a long review and the stuff is interspersed throughout. Just read the whole thing thoroughly and you'll find it all; also worth reading to improve your understanding of the K200d's limitations.

Reid
01-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Dougie,

It's a long review and the stuff is interspersed throughout. Just read the whole thing thoroughly and you'll find it all; also worth reading to improve your understanding of the K200d's limitations.

Reid
Cheers, I'll sift through it.