Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2022, 03:05 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have tried looking at the actual scene and at the screen on my S5 at the same time and I've been completely unable to discern any lag.
I wonder if this is part of the reason it only bothers some people. Most don't shoot with both eyes open.

Looking Through One Eye and Looking Through Two.

https://www.all-things-photography.com/both-eyes-open/

Someone did a poll
One eye closed or both eyes open: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

12-26-2022, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #62
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Went up to John Lewis in High Wycombe where I know I can pick up and examine cameras and no one will bother me...

This is just a sequence of thoughts, so take it as that.

Spent some time with a Fuji X-T4, Sony a7 III and a Nikon Z6 II. Of the three the Sony was the least likeable - cheap feeling, unpleasant shutter sound and I didn't get on with the menu system. Rear screen seemed a touch small.

Fuji was nice but ergonomically not very pleasant to grip and hold after a while.

Nikon was the best feeling of them all, menu system was okay.

Anyway, the biggest issue I had was looking through the EVF. It made me feel a little ill when the camera moved - I had to look away from the screen after a few seconds. I remember reading how some people have reacted in the same way, and in another thread a member quoted advice from the mirrorless brands which mentioned all the side effects of looking through an EVF; the advice was to stop looking through it.

Pentax has the joy of photography firmly in its grasp and long may it continue to make cameras with OVFs... I don't know how many people here have spent some time looking through an EVF but it is very instructive. Many will love it, many will hate it, and many will wonder what the fuss is all about.

I was a little Fuji-curious but I ain't no more! If my choice was a new X-T5/Nikon Z/Canon R/Sony a7 etc. or a new Pentax KF - demonised as it may be - I know what I'd choose!

As it is, I have a K-1 and K-3III so I am well taken care of, lucky as I am.

The sad thing is that the Canon and Nikon DSLR's were in a locked cabinet, prisoners of the past. I suspect that is where they will languish until shown the way out through the back door.
Nothing to see here. Move on, move on...
Canon and Nikon kept making cameras with optical viewfinders as long as they would sell for a profit.

I haven't followed things, but do Canon and Nikon still make DSLR's ?
Pentax day will shine when they truly have the optical viewfinder niche all to itself, IMO....
12-27-2022, 04:32 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I haven't followed things, but do Canon and Nikon still make DSLR's?
Both still make a few models I believe but there will be no further development of new models.