Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP users who upgraded to the K3 iii - Was it worth it and why?

I went from the K5 iis to the KP a few years ago when there was a deal that included the battery grip. I'm happy with the camera except that I find the ergonomics are not as good as K5 iis when it comes to heavier lenses {even with the grip attached). The K3 iii has features that I consider nice to have but not necessary for my intended uses. I don't shoot a lot of sports or BIF so the improved auto focus is nice but not necessary. A larger view finder is something I would like but don't need. Is the dynamic range better? Can you shoot at higher ISO? Better metering? What has made it a worth while upgrade from the KP for you?

Also, I heard in a review that the K3 iii can process pixel shift images in camera and save the combined image as a raw file. Is that true? The KP only saves them as a JPG. Thanks.

12-15-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
JPEG or Tiff
12-15-2022, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NJ Pete Quote
Also, I heard in a review that the K3 iii can process pixel shift images in camera and save the combined image as a raw file. Is that true? The KP only saves them as a JPG. Thanks.
I believe that's correct that the KP cannot process pixel shift images and save that as raw, but it does save the unprocessed as raw to be processed on a computer.
12-16-2022, 12:13 AM - 3 Likes   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

I don’t have a KP, but my impression from samples is that image quality isn’t much of a reason to upgrade.

However, the ergonomics are much closer to the K-5 IIs, and in my opinion better than that in fact. These buttons are all well placed and for some things the touch screen is really nice to use, especially image review.

The OVF improvement is underrated in my opinion. It doesn’t seem like much of an improvement, but it’s something you’ll benefit from every single time you take a picture.

12-16-2022, 01:59 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from the K5 iis to the KP a few years ago when there was a deal that included the battery grip. I'm happy with the camera except that I find the ergonomics are not as good as K5 iis when it comes to heavier lenses {even with the grip attached). The K3 iii has features that I consider nice to have but not necessary for my intended uses. I don't shoot a lot of sports or BIF so the improved auto focus is nice but not necessary. A larger view finder is something I would like but don't need. Is the dynamic range better? Can you shoot at higher ISO? Better metering? What has made it a worth while upgrade from the KP for you?

Okay, I did just such an upgrade, despite the fact that I (at 78) thought I had just bought my "camera for life" camera when I bought the KP. (Which, by the way, I loved, especially with the larger handgrip and battery grip).

So why?

Well, yes - as you have noted, like probably many others, I (being first a bird photographer) wanted better BIF shots (And I like to think I have got them!)
I love the little joystick for easy moving around of the focal point within the frame - great for ensuring you get ALL the bird in the frame when shooting larger birds close-up.
i believe the autofocus is better (especially in low light), and I think (am I deluding myself?) that I get more shake reduction assist on the K3 III when shooting with "the MONSTER" (the 150-450mm zoom!) hand-held.
The on-top LCD screen gets a look at, sometimes!!!
The standard grip (without battery grip) on the K3 III is great!
Better battery life without needing a battery grip on the K3 III.
I probably don't use the fastest burst mode much, but I do use medium burst on the K3 III (again, mostly when "BIF-fing").

Have I noticed the much-touted better view-finder experience? To be honest, I am not sure I have. (But then, maybe my 78 year old eyes are to blame there?)
I have been prepared to chance higher-ISO shots (to maintain higher shutter speeds when hand-holding the Monster, but would be dishonest if I said I have done a fair comparison on comparative high ISO performance between the KP and the K3 III.

On long day outings, I take the KP along as a second camera (the Monster on the K3 III, and either the 100mm Macro or the 16-85mm zoom on the KP) but to be honest, the poor old KP has spent a large amount of time staying neglected in my backpack most of the time since I bought the K3 III. (Although the KP's pull-out screen does come in handy for shooting low-lying mushrooms and the like!)

I am not a "technical" photographer - which is to say I am probably guilty of not even having an awareness of many of the K3 III's many "in depth, hidden features" - but that would probably also be true of my use of the KP before I bought the K3 III.
Which is not to say I would not jump at the chance of spending a day of learning with an "expert" on all the technical aids and wonders hidden inside the K3 III !!! Even though I most probably wouldn't even know which questions I need to ask!!!

I will be fascinated to see what replies you get from others. Hopefully, the replies of others might bring to light many of the "hidden" goodies I would use if only my technical savvy was more up to scratch!

So, I think you have might have started an interesting thread!

PS - this thread may become more enlightening for everyone if you revealed your own "intended uses".

Last edited by K2 to K50; 12-16-2022 at 03:12 AM.
12-16-2022, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

All much the same (and in the same age group) as K2 to K50 above.
I "upgraded" to a K-3iii from a KP (and a K-70 previously) simply for the improved a/f in both instances and haven't been disappointed, especially with the latest firmware providing an even more critical "extra small" single focussing point on the K-3iii.
Except in the extremes of low light, for all practical purposes, the image quality from all three cameras is indistinguishable!
For myself, the KP remains in my bag as a perfectly good "general purpose" camera, with a few tricks the K-3iii can't manage.
I won't be getting rid of it

Afterthought :-
WRT the interchangeable grips on the KP, I used the larger of the three for a year or so in the mistaken belief that as it would be most similar to my previous DSLRs it'd be the best choice, but once I acquired my K-3iii I took time to 'play' with the different grips on the KP and, lo and behold, the smallest grip is actually the most comfortable (for me), even with a longer lens fitted.
I took a bit more time to analyse why this might be and realised, that with the shutter button on the KP being on top of the body (very retro) rather than in front, on the "battery bulge", my hand was twisting excessively to reach it with the large grip fitted. Fit the small grip, my hand/finger placement is slightly different and the operation of the camera so much more comfortable
Obviously YMMV

Last edited by kypfer; 12-16-2022 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Afterthought
12-16-2022, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If I were you I should stick to the KP. OK, the K-3 Mark III has more frills (of which you might ask yourself: do I need them). The new K-3 has a larger viewfinder, but I wear glasses and the fact that the OVF piece is 2mm further removed from the camera body I tend to see less of the image than with KP or K-(fill in appropriate number). The ergonomics of the KP are superb, especially with the right grip attached (there are three of them, so experiment) when not having the battery grip attached. IQ wise, the KP does a good job and the K-3 Mark III does not improve on it. I used both side to side and do not think/feel that the K-3 Mark III is better and that it is worth the price asked for it, not even with the discounts at the moment. Unfortunately I had to return the K-3 Mark III the seller could not help me with the problem and I got a refund. So I am with the KP most of the time and I cannot really say that I miss the new K-3. The KP handles very well and it handles better than the ME (super) or the Super A with a large/heavy lens like the A 35-105 f3.5 and heavier. The balance of the KP is different from the K- series DSLR, but resembles the old analog bodies much more. With the ME and Super A you balanced the combo with supporting the lens and you have to do the same with the KP. With the K-'s the balance is much closer to the body.

12-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

One of my favorite things is to take pictures of aircraft and birds in flight. The KP was good, but the shutter burst rate and the buffer to the SD card limited my opportunities. I promised myself that when Pentax made a camera that improved these two things, I would jump to new gear. The K-3iii is dramatically better in these areas.
12-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for the detailed replies. I'll probably stick with the KP for now. The K3 iii looks like a great camera but probably has more bells and whistles than I need. My subjects vary a lot but I do shoot quite a few landscapes. I trend to shoot frequently in a vertical orientation which is why I like a battery grip for heavier lenses. I generally don't photograph people. I'm a deliberate shooter who is careful about framing and will crop to get the image I want. A larger viewfinder could be a plus. Most of the scenes I shoot are static but I do photograph animals ( both domestic and wild) when I get a chance. I find the KP with the medium grip works best for me if I'm not using the battery grip. I don't think the K3 iii will be getting any cheaper but if there's a good deal that includes the battery grip I might reconsider my position.
12-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
this is a very helpful thread, thanks i've been having similar thoughts, but i really like the kp and know i haven't come close to exploring its capabilities.

with the holiday sales on the k1 ii/28-105 combo, that is looking tempting too, but again, maybe i don't need it, although the current bh combo package is very tempting.

if i'm sure i'm going to get into more action photography, including bif, then i'll be giving the k3 iii a very hard look.
12-16-2022, 12:47 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, thanks for the detailed replies. I'll probably stick with the KP for now. The K3 iii looks like a great camera but probably has more bells and whistles than I need. My subjects vary a lot but I do shoot quite a few landscapes. I trend to shoot frequently in a vertical orientation which is why I like a battery grip for heavier lenses. I generally don't photograph people. I'm a deliberate shooter who is careful about framing and will crop to get the image I want. A larger viewfinder could be a plus. Most of the scenes I shoot are static but I do photograph animals ( both domestic and wild) when I get a chance. I find the KP with the medium grip works best for me if I'm not using the battery grip. I don't think the K3 iii will be getting any cheaper but if there's a good deal that includes the battery grip I might reconsider my position.
For the photography you are saying interests you, and the more considered way to do it, I think you're making a wise choice.

If you're just jonesing to invest in some new camera gear you'll get more immediate satisfaction and affirmative results with better glass rather than a newer camera. Flagship camera with budget glass is rarely a good investment.
12-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
For the photography you are saying interests you, and the more considered way to do it, I think you're making a wise choice.

If you're just jonesing to invest in some new camera gear you'll get more immediate satisfaction and affirmative results with better glass rather than a newer camera. Flagship camera with budget glass is rarely a good investment.

I went from a K10 to a K3-II (2) which was a huge step forward (doubling Mpixels and improved ISO range....). I guess the K-3-III (3) would be an improvement but the step is still smaller .

On the other hand since I invested in newer lenses pentax using SDM/PLM and Sigma HSM, there was a significant jump forward in autofocus experience. The glass was also 'better' , so now my improvements are indeed coming from investments in better lenses (the last one, the 150-450mm).

Hence I am less temped by a new camera...(for the time being, but since it took me more than a decade between previous bodies...., i have time...).
12-16-2022, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I am a KP owner now close to 5 years, bought new after price deals came. I am also a K-5 IIs owner, bought new after the K-3 came in a spectacular 1/2 price closeout deal. After detailed examination, including some test reports, I felt the K-3 would not offer me a better performance for my needs. Though the KP has since become my most often-used, I still like and sometimes use my K-5 IIs.

After the K-3 III came, so we could see what it offers, I mulled it over much as you are doing. And like yourself, I am not into BIF, etc and burst shooting, which the K-3 III specifically addresses, and from reports is a success. Low light performance is up some, but one is not going to see image improvement going from 24mp to 26mp.

So I finally decided to pass on the K-3 III as not being worth much for my needs, and actually I prefer the attributes of the KP more. So instead, now a couple of years ago, I went with a deal to buy a new K-1 II! One motivator was having a number of very fine FF lenses from my years of 35mm film shooting, just sitting from their FL not being as useful on APS-C. This marvelous camera has a huge VF, a very significant upgrade for higher ISO performance, loads of gripping ergonomics, and is the perfect big brother for the APS-C KP! Then there is a significant difference between 24mp and its 36mp resolution when using a lens focal length of similar quality to equalize the framed composition between the two formats. So you gain resolution, increased upper ISO range, gripping ergonomics, VF size, and improved dynamic range too! And on top of all that- you gain (literally) a different perspective to work with for your photography! Like opening up a new dimension. I did it to put some valuable old lenses back into use, but was unprepared for how much this step has been of value for me. I got mine from B&H as usual, and took a deal with the mfr. pre-packaged DFA 28-105mm lens kit with a discount on this excellent lens (plus some useful free accessories) , so I'd have a WR FF system. I am overjoyed by the results I have been getting!

So now when I need to go for lighter carrying, like out bicycling, it is my KP system all the way. Also, when going more into telephoto, I find APS-C is more practical, gets me "out there" with a smaller lens, and works best for me. If the lens is big enough, and/or I am shooting an event where I don't want to pause for battery changing, I employ the KP's battery grip, which is just fine. If holding down by my side between shots, I hold in the vertical position, where there is lots of gripping area.

Otherwise, when just moderately walking around an area, or going by car, and using more WA to moderate tele lenses, It's the K-1 II system all the way!

On the K-1 II DSLR specific forum, FozzFoster has made a supreme effort to develop a full-length report video showing off this remarkable camera's design and attributes. A while back, a video was made by this guy who shoots comparative test images by different brand cameras, who demonstrated the same image taken by the Pentax K-1 II against that from the excellent, highly-regarded $3,000 (now on sale for "only" $2,500) Nikon D850, and showed the Pentax camera's imaging to be superior!

I just checked, and B&H is still offering the same deal I got and more! The K-1 II body only at $1,797 (with free extras now including a free battery grip!), or the K-1 II together with the DFA 28-105 WR lens at $2,197 (only $400 for the lens), with free extras including the free battery grip! For sure, what you get and the quality imaging from it for such a modest cost, is amazing!

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-16-2022 at 05:59 PM.
12-17-2022, 10:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The same question is waiting for me in the near future, as soon as my KP dies.

For stills, I will rather buy another KP instead of K-3III. The reason is that I do not shoot sports, I do not need a huge buffer ... and my favourite topics require the non-fixed rear display.
12-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
The same question is waiting for me in the near future, as soon as my KP dies.
For stills, I will rather buy another KP instead of K-3III. The reason is that I do not shoot sports, I do not need a huge buffer ... and my favourite topics require the non-fixed rear display.
In which case, assuming no alternative body becomes available in the meantime, the K-70/KF (or whatever it might be called when your KP finally does expire) might be perfectly suitable … very similar image quality, and fully articulated rear screen, just not quite the low light performance. Mine still has it's place in the scheme of things