Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Inconsistent Metering on K10D

having issues with inconsistent metering with the K10D. Since Christmas Day when using *any* lens apart from the Sigma 70-200 f2.8II HSM, I have been getting strange and inconsistent results. In Av mode the shutter speed flashes constantly and doesn't change when aperture is changed. In Tv the opposite occurs. In M I can't stop it metering as though it is over-exposing.

Then in next use it appears to be OK.

Just now changed to the Sigma 70-200 and it works perfectly. Shot about 5 frmaes with it and then changed back to the DA16-45 for instance and this time while in Av the shutter speed changes when aperture is changed but it still flashes constantly. This time the exposure *appears* to be OK.

Are there any issues with the Sigma lens, or is it dirty contacts (I don't have any contact cleaner to hand so I rubbed gently with a lint free cloth). Perhaps the heavier lens is making better contact??

This is ruining my Christmas...

12-27-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

when your shutter speed flashes, what value is flashing?

are you shooting in broad daylight or in darkness?

what is your ISO set to?

flashing shutter in Av and flashing aperture in Tv means that something that the camera can no longer compensate automatically.
12-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
when your shutter speed flashes, what value is flashing?

are you shooting in broad daylight or in darkness?

what is your ISO set to?

flashing shutter in Av and flashing aperture in Tv means that something that the camera can no longer compensate automatically.
shutter = 50 no matter what the Aperture is ( mega over exposed images!)

shooting in daylight

ISO = Auto

From advice on another forum I am now charging the batteries (should have been OK but one never knows) and have gently rubbed the contacts with a soft eraser on the cam and on the lenses. I'll report back when these are done.

Last edited by flash1100; 12-27-2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: moar info
12-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Try covering the viewfinder when you meter, if you are shooting in bright light, moving around will cause fluctuations in the metering because of the light entering the viewfinder.

12-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

what lenses are you having problems with, are they DA or FA, or even older?

what is your auto iso range set to

how long have you had your K10D for

when you shoot with the sigma, how are you shooting

can you post some of your bad images with the exif intact? (and maybe one good image)

you need to provide us with facts! we cant just magically guess at your problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by flash1100 Quote
shutter = 50 no matter what the Aperture is ( mega over exposed images!)

shooting in daylight

ISO = Auto

From advice on another forum I am now charging the batteries (should have been OK but one never knows) and have gently rubbed the contacts with a soft eraser on the cam and on the lenses. I'll report back when these are done.
12-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what lenses are you having problems with, are they DA or FA, or even older?

what is your auto iso range set to

how long have you had your K10D for

when you shoot with the sigma, how are you shooting

can you post some of your bad images with the exif intact? (and maybe one good image)

you need to provide us with facts! we cant just magically guess at your problem.
never mind...
02-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Moved to DSLR section.