Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
2009 Cameras

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and replace my K10D with a K20D. I'm fighting with myself over this because the upgrade doesn't seem that great (except for "Live View", which I don't need). The higher ISO is nice, but I've seen some reviews that say the noise isn't improved too much.
I just read in another topic here that Pentax is coming out with 3 new cameras next year. The only upgrade I've heard about is the possible add on of GPS Geo-tagging, which is only another gimick to me.
What's the latest scuttlebutt about new DSLR models (i.e. K30D)? I don't care about going to full frame since my new lenses are APS C and my old lenses are A generation manual focus.
Season's Greetings to all,
Thanks,
Brian

12-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am in a similar situation as in I plan to upgrade from my K10D eventually, but am not necessarily going to get a K20D right now, when something is likely to replace that in 2009. The fact is, what we all know is based on rumors and just normal model replacement schedules. NO ONE here on this forum knows what exactly the next flagship model from Pentax will feature as it's "next big thing", be that FF or APS-H or whatever. I think we all know what is likely at this time, but again, it's all speculation.

I am happy with my K10D and it performs just as nice as it did the day I bought it, so no itch to upgrade just because there is an upgrade available. I am sure this will eventually happen, but I will most likely be keeping this body another 9-12 months, depending on the next big thing, when it's released, and how far the price settles by this time next year (I hope).

Jas
12-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I too am waiting a while to replace my K10D. I am still growing into it and have found any limitations are my own techniques and not the camera. I have been keeping my eye on new sensor technology from Fuji which would certainly make the APS-C sensor competitive with FF and hope that Pentax takes a look at licensing it. (Fujifilm Super CCD EXR)
12-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I sold my K10D (originally bought used) and was able to nearly recoup my original cost; I actually had no intention of selling but the opportunity presented itself and for once, I rode the upgrade wave and got a new K20D.

What I get to walk away with is a new camera body, warranty for 2+1 years, and some needed features.

12-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a K10D last February, brand new stock, a few months after the K20D was introduced. I paid $599 shipped from B&H, about half the original price.

If I have the cash in my PayPal account from lens sales I hope to do the same thing with a K20D whenever the next MAJOR upgrade (not line extension) is released. such as a K30D.

I'm thinking October.
12-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Forum Member

Having come from a K10D to a K20D in the last few days I can tell you that the difference in IQ is definately noticeable... the detail captured by the samsung sensor is staggering, and if you are into macros or cropping then it will make a huge difference to your results (imo).
12-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have K10D too, and I've desided to wait for K30D or even K40D. I need faster and clever AF (esp in low light) and better noise characteristics at high ISO (like d300).

I think, it would be better for me to be LBA right now. And buy 70-200/2.8 + 55/1.4 + wide angle
12-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K20d is under $750 for the body and is a significant upgrade. I bought a K10d right when the K20d came out, tried it for a week, took it back because I wasn't impressed. Ended up trying a K20d a few weeks later, bought it at full pop. For the current price the K20d is a bargain and I'm buying one for my g/f.

There will always be another camera on the horizon. If you don't have one and wait, you're missing a lot of photos...

Last edited by nostatic; 12-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.
12-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
RaduA

The problem with future models is that for sure they won't cost the same as current ones. In fact I bet that at launch K300D will be pricier than the K20D is today and the K30D will go for about the same or more than the K20D was back in March.
So without doubt new/better things will come but ...

Radu
12-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Richdog Quote
Having come from a K10D to a K20D in the last few days I can tell you that the difference in IQ is definately noticeable... the detail captured by the samsung sensor is staggering, and if you are into macros or cropping then it will make a huge difference to your results (imo).
+1 The K20D has joined the family, arriving the 8 days before Christmas. Image quality is notably improved over the K10D.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
K20d is under $750 for the body and is a significant upgrade. I bought a K10d right when the K20d came out, tried it for a week, took it back because I wasn't impressed. Ended up trying a K20d a few weeks later, bought it at full pop. For the current price the K20d is a bargain and I'm buying one for my g/f.

There will always be another camera on the horizon. If you don't have one and wait, you're missing a lot of photos...
It would have been worth the investment at full price but I convinced myself to wait.
12-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and replace my K10D with a K20D. I'm fighting with myself over this because the upgrade doesn't seem that great (except for "Live View", which I don't need). The higher ISO is nice, but I've seen some reviews that say the noise isn't improved too much.
I just read in another topic here that Pentax is coming out with 3 new cameras next year. The only upgrade I've heard about is the possible add on of GPS Geo-tagging, which is only another gimick to me.
What's the latest scuttlebutt about new DSLR models (i.e. K30D)? I don't care about going to full frame since my new lenses are APS C and my old lenses are A generation manual focus.
Season's Greetings to all,
Thanks,
Brian
Brian, I can't tell you what you should do, but I had the same delimma and dealt with it as follows: I picked a target price for a K20D sufficiently low to allow me a "clear-conscience" purchase of its successor if that successor, in fact, turns out to be a world beater. As it happens, Amazon's black Friday deal on the K20D fortuitously dove-tailed with my Christmas gift-giving plans, so that the take home price of a K20 hit the required level.

BTW, after a couple days with my K20D, I can tell you that while it may not represent a step-change from my K10D, it is a truly different camera with changes that are more than simply incremental. I won't belabor the details, which have been discussed at length before.

Happy New Year,

Jer
12-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
(snip) BTW, after a couple days with my K20D, I can tell you that while it may not represent a step-change from my K10D, it is a truly different camera with changes that are more than simply incremental. I won't belabor the details, which have been discussed at length before.

Happy New Year,

Jer
Yes, I understand that the K20D upgrade over the K10D is respectable (although not remarkable). I actually don't want to wait until next fall / winter for a new model because I've got an Alaska cruise vacation coming in July and sort of want to be upgraded and familiar with the new camera by then. I bought my wife a K200D set up for Christmas and I see some of the upgrades that it has in common with the K20D. The K200D seems like a bit of an upgrade to my K10D as is. I'm just curious to know if there is any solid beliefs that a K30D (or ?) is coming soon and what it will have. Will it be something I will want to getr even though I would have just gotten the K20D? I'm not of the mind set that needs today's model just because I own yesterday's. I waited a long time before buying the K10D while shooting with P&S type digitals. The water resistant feature told me to buy. The K20d's lower noise and higher ISO is talking to me. Will the K30D be yelling at me to buy (if I already have a K20D)?
Brian
12-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I'm just curious to know if there is any solid beliefs that a K30D (or ?) is coming soon and what it will have.

Will it be something I will want to getr even though I would have just gotten the K20D?

Will the K30D be yelling at me to buy (if I already have a K20D)?
Brian
The first question I can answer: there are undoubtedly solid beliefs, but their relationship to reality is problematic (see recent episode on white K2000 body).

The second and third questions I can't answer nor - I'd venture to say - can anyone one else on the forum.

Maybe you should wait and see what happens; even if you bought a new camera in May, you'd have it mastered easily by July.

Jer
12-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
any solid beliefs that a K30D (or ?) is coming soon and what it will have. Will it be something I will want to getr even though I would have just gotten the K20D?
The only fuzzy thing the K30D *might* get is a better AF module. Pentax said that in the K20D timeframe, they could improve image quality or the AF capability but not both. In hindsight, their choice of improving image quality was the right decision because Nikon has moved to CMOS sensors. We can only guess that improved AF will come next year but don't know when...
12-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've used the K10D twice in low light situations in Ritz Camera before and the AF seems better than all of my Canon cameras. I'm just not sure what the problem that everyone always has is. A camera always will have problems focusing in low light. Unless you want more megapixels, then there's not too much of a reason for upgrading and spending so much more on a new camera.