Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2022, 01:25 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Real UV only works with special lenses made of UV transparent glass, quartz glass. Most glass blocks UV. What you sometimes see is UV light induced reflection of objects in the visible spectrum. I did some work with a dedicated setup. Very nice if you understand what you are doing. You need quite some fancy equipment to get started, monochrome sensor special lens, uv light source…
With IR it is different, near IR passes through glass and the sensor will record it. This light would mess up your red green blue channel responses that’s why cameras have an IR filter in front of the sensor. Remove the filter and colors get mixed up (see above). Use filters to block certain wave lengths (colors). Near IR is good fo4 some strong artistic effects, fun really starts in far IR, but here you silicon sensor cannot collect the photons anymore. For far/thermal imagery you need a different sensor.

12-29-2022, 02:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I use an unconverted *istDL2 for my infra-red photography … shutter speeds may a little on the slow side, admittedly, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the results.

My other 6Mpixel Pentax DSLRs give similar results, but the *istDL2 is the only one I own with Digital Preview … sort of a poor man's LiveView, but adequate for the purpose
The *istDL2 will function quite adequately not just with the "usual" R72/Ilford SFX/Wratten 89B filter, but also with the much "darker" Lee 87 (Wratten 87) for an even more dramatic effect!
My only 10Mpixel CCD camera is my K200D, which is even less sensitive to i/r than my CMOS cameras!
12-30-2022, 04:16 PM   #18
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
K-30 / K-5 IR converted camera user here.
I am (was) in this photography genre since 2016. My first try was unmodified Pentax K-1 with deep red filter on the lens. Pictures were shot using tripod because deep red (or any infrared) filter cuts visible light. Images from unconverted camera sparked my interest to IR photography and later in 2016 I converted myself Pentax K-30, later - K-5.
Here is the example from K-1 with 720 nm filter. Postprocessed.

First thing I should emphasize - if you want to shoot infrared, take converted camera and dive into this genre. All attempts like IR filter on the lens and unconverted camera will just waste your time and you will not get full satisfaction. Infrared images can be postprocessed in different ways.
Here is the example of 640 nm filter used on converted camera, simple channel mixer applied

Here is more postprocessing used (K-5 modified, 640 nm filter on sensor)

Second thing - IR photography is not totally about monochrome, just partially. Everything depends on filter used because digital sensor is sensitive to 200-1200 nm. The higher filter you use the less colors are left, probably at 830 nm you are already in completely monochrome infrared (but this does not mean black and white, because sensor will deliver slightly pinkish image (RAW)).
Postprocessing can do the job and final result depends only on your skills. But shooting unconverted camera will not allow to use full potential of postprocessing therefore your skills will be limited.

640 nm filter used (different results):

In the era of film photography infrared was looking as black and white but in the era of digital sensors there are wider possibilities (pseudo color near-IR and IR)

Main advantages of converted Pentax DSLR are:
1. Short exposures (handheld shooting)
2. Possibility to use optical view finder (OVF; any filter on the lens will preclude this)
3. Autofocus using OVF.

Would you like to try night infrared photography? Or portraits? Then converted camera only. No choices...

wow, simply amazing photos! thanx for sharing!

so, my question is, can someone achieve descent IR/UV photos with just post processing alone?

All I have is Gimp, and came across this page: Gimp Tutorial: infrared photography simulation

---------- Post added 12-30-22 at 05:01 PM ----------

Everyone please take a look at my attempt to do such a photo using Gimp and just post processing and comment please. I dunno if I made such a photo or made just a really cool looking b&w photo.
At:
Attempt to do IR/UV post processing using Gimp - comments please - PentaxForums.com