Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Why should I upgrade from *ist DL?

I have an *ist DL and am learning photography. Tell me why I should, or why you did, upgrade to one of the newer models.

12-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Short and simple: If you feel encumbered by the limits of the DL, then you should consider upgrading to something else.
I upgraded to the K20D from my K100D due to larger demands (except image quality, in fact). It took me nine months, but could have stayed with the K100D. I am still learning (isn't everybody?), but got through the basics with my K100D. Use your DL as long as you want, but I don't think you should upgrade before you have a clear understanding of the technical aspect of the camera.

When I bought my K20D, my reasons were:
* The K100D is menu-based, few dedicated buttons
* Only one control wheel
* It is a bit slow in JPEG
* It is SLOOOW in RAW

Note that I don't automagically get better results with the new camera, but I felt a bit handicapped with the K100D in my hand. Nothing wrong with it though, so I gave it to my girlfriend, as she is eager to learn.

(I have not used a *ist DL myself, but I consider it the forefather of the K100D, without SR.)
12-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your camera is working ok and you are happy with the results you are getting, keep what you have. There will always be a new camera body to upgrade to. Maybe invest your money in some lenses.
12-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Shake Reduction is a nice thing, but generally -- if you don't know why you need to upgrade, you don't need to upgrade.

12-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Music Quote
I have an *ist DL and am learning photography. Tell me why I should, or why you did, upgrade to one of the newer models.
I had the DL for six weeks when the K100D came out with shake reduction in the body. That's why I sold my DL and bought the K100D. I really like the shake reduction for low light shots.
12-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So you can sell the DL to me. :-D
12-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't upgrade until you feel limited by the camera. If you have some extra cash buring a hole in your pocket, spend it on travelling somewhere interesting to make photographs.
12-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have the K100 for over 2 yrs, I love it, great IQ and light enough but the K20 is a different beast, the user interface, weather sealing and just the total package is a bargain for this kind of camera.

12-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had istDL and then upgraded to K10D. While K10D is great camera, I really miss my small istDL. Somehow I never got used to the extra weight of the K10D. The only complaint about istDL I had was the 6.1MP sensor. When I did few portrait shots where I needed to crop final picture, I wished I had more megapixels. Other than that my small istDL suited me well and if I had enough funds, I would probably keep it as a backup.
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Shake Reduction is a nice thing, but generally -- if you don't know why you need to upgrade, you don't need to upgrade.
This is about as good and responsible reply as one can get ......

6Mp is good enough for most photography -
it certainly is good enough for exhibition or publishing quality 10x8 -
and if we use the oft quoted 200ppi for print quality (eg: ref- Popular Photography)
either the max print size is about 15"x10" -
or there is lots of room for cropping - it will still allow one to get a full 10x8 print from a severe crop of cropping a vertical photo from a horizontal shot.....

The *istD series was well respected and the basis for the K100D (Super) -
I believe the late Herbert Keppler senior editor/VP of Popular Photography used the Pentax *istD circa 2004 (ref1 and ref2)

So unless the *istD is limiting -
then there shouldn't be any reason to upgrade -
of course there are always other (personal) reasons -
but if one were honest - most dSLRs are better than we are......
12-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had a *ist DL and I have to say honestly I think the actual camera is better than the k10d I have now. The screen is better and the auto focus altho only 2 points it seemed quicker.

But eventually you'll need a change so i'd head for the k20d or wait for a newer camera.
Weathersealing and shake reduction and the sensor are the main upgrades available to you
12-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #12

I won't tell you why you should. I will mention things that I think makes it easier for me to enjoy photography that are in the newer cameras.
  • Image stabilization is the reason I picked Pentax to begin with. I probably wouldn't buy a camera without it.
  • Weather seals on the camera to match weather seals of some lenses.
  • SDM, not for speed, but just for a quieter experience. There is still the clunk of the shutter, but hopefully that will be changed in the next models.
  • Multi-exposure, TAv mode, sensor SP coating to lessen dust, dust reduction. dust alert, tethered shooting, integrated interval shooting, integrated sync ports, and integrated vertical grip, are other things that make it easier to use the newer models.
12-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #13

You did not mention what lenses you have, that would have helped.

Assuming you are learning, IMHO, if your *ist DL is working perfectly, there is no real reason to upgrade body. Instead I would put that $$ in quality glass
12-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sagar Quote
Assuming you are learning, IMHO, if your *ist DL is working perfectly, there is no real reason to upgrade body.
For real learning the more basic the camera the better.

Although I have a K100D with Shake Reduction (very desirable) - for true learning - one should learn how to hold the camera steady - withOUT shake reduction - most of the cameras and dSLRs of this world still do not have shake reduction.

AF using more focussing points again is an advantage touted - but again one should be sure of where the focus point is - so for learning one should switch the focus to the central point only (being a cross type - I think may be more sensitive and accurate than the others anyway). In fact, that is what I do, I only use the central focus point.

Exposure - take the camera off of the GREEN "AUTO everything" - try "P"rogram as a first step - then move on to Tv and Av - and if you really want to learn go to "M"anual and see how you'd cope.

Everything I've said/suggested the *ist DL is more than capable of doing.

Back in film days the Pentax K1000 was the learning SLR of choice - not only because it was cheap -
but because it was a minimalist SLR - down to the basic essentials -
the *ist DL is already a LOT more than that - so why upgrade?
It does NOT help learning at all -
in fact, with more automation one would probably become less inclined to learn and rely on the automation to take "better pictures", without any understanding why.....
12-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO, upgrading your skills is soooo much more important.

Go to pentaxphotogallery.com and browse by Image Data and look at pictures from the *ist D, DS, DL, DS2, DL2, K100D & K110D. Or go to pbase.com and do the same thing. They all have the same resolution and pretty similar sensors. The *ist D is the oldest and most expensive camera of the bunch. I found that the pictures from that camera are in general a bit better than the others above. The only reason is that the camera is more expensive, because the people holding the camera were willing to commit more money, because ... more experienced, making money from photos, etcetera. But that camera really doesn't have better image quality than any of the other cameras I mentioned.

Just for fun, pretend you are lusting after a professional camera that is 6-8 years old - one that is in a lot of ways inferior to your current camera. Go search out photos from this camera. Decide to buy it, then review the specs of the one you have and convince yourself to upgrade to it based on specs And you're back where you started. Lots cheaper Eg. you can now buy a Nikon D1X for less than $400. 5 Megapixels. Plenty of fantastic, awesome photography out there done with this camera.

On the other hand, any car will get you from A to B, but I still paid for air conditioning, power windows, etc. There are tons of reasons to upgrade, already mentioned, and perfectly valid. Viewfinder size/brightness would top my list, then resolution, then high ISO abilities, AF debug mode, SDM support, Sv mode...

Last edited by Michael Barker; 12-31-2008 at 09:51 AM.