Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question about lens compatibility with Pentax DSLRs.

Hi. My friend has a Pentax ME and some manual focus lenses-I think they're the K series. He wants to get a Pentax DSLR. Can he use his old lenses? Will there be metering? Only one has the A setting on the aperture ring. The others do not. I looked at lens compatibility charts, but do not know enough about Pentax gear to figure out what we need to know-I'm a Nikon user. Thanks.

Bill

12-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenses with the A setting will meter as usual, but, of couse, be manual focus.

The K-series is usable in Av and M modes. You need to enable a custom setting in the menu first.
* In Av, the metering is in "real time", but it does only allow shooting wide-open.
* In M, you first select the aperture by using the aperture ring. Then, while your subject is framed, you need to press the 'green button' (K10D, K20D, K200D) or the AE-L button (K100D and older, K-m). The camera will stop down the lens, and then meter the scene, ending up with setting a shutter speed.

It does sound tiresome, but isn't that bad, really, especially in conditions with small changes of light.

(You can also use the lenses in "guessing mode", similar to how old F-mount lenses perform on e.g. a D40. Without metering, but either by using the "Sunny 16" rule or by looking at the preview and historgram, you are able to get images that way too.)
12-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Bill all of the K-mount bayonet and M42 screw mount lenses will work on Pentax DSLRs with exposure control and compensation. I even use all of my old non-ai Nikkors on my Pentax with exposure control. You can't do that with a Nikon. Thats why I am using Pentax. The screw mount lenses require a small threaded adapter to convert to bayonet. Do a search on this forum. You should come up with loads of info.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by bill500 Quote
Can he use his old lenses? Will there be metering? Only one has the A setting on the aperture ring. The others do not. Bill
12-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. Yes I know Pentax has better backward compatability than Nikon. I have a couple of "crippled" Nikons that do not offer any kind of metering with non CPU lenses. That's why I'm about to get the D300-it's not crippled. But I have so much Nikon gear, I do not want to switch to Pentax.

12-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Bill all of the K-mount bayonet and M42 screw mount lenses will work on Pentax DSLRs with exposure control and compensation. I even use all of my old non-ai Nikkors on my Pentax with exposure control. You can't do that with a Nikon. Thats why I am using Pentax. The screw mount lenses require a small threaded adapter to convert to bayonet. Do a search on this forum. You should come up with loads of info.

Dave
Dave,
Where would I get an adapter for my old Nikkor lenses?
01-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #6

I've seen them on ebay.
01-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the m42 lenses, do they work in stop-down metering only, or do they have an aperture that automatically closes at the time of shooting like bayonet lenses? Or do you have to focus, then stop down and meter, and then shoot?
01-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
With the m42 lenses, do they work in stop-down metering only, or do they have an aperture that automatically closes at the time of shooting like bayonet lenses?
They do not have an aperture that can automatically be closed by the camera while shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
With the m42 lenses,...do you have to focus, then stop down and meter, and then shoot?
With my K100D in Av mode, metering is automatic when I manually move the aperture setting.

Manual lenses are very easy to use without the auto stop-down feature. I recently did a gender change on a Soligor 200/2.8 from OM to K; I didn't bother to set up the auto aperture functionality because it makes so little difference to me in practice.

Dave

01-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

That's one of the benefits of being a Pentax owner, backward lens compatibility.

Most lenses will work with varying levels of functionality.
01-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #10

Hello Bill500,
As you can see from my sig file, I have a few old manual lenses. Once you get used to using them they are a joy. Of course I was in the photo retail business back when the first Spotmatics came on the scene. Prior to that one either used a hand held meter or as I was taught use your ASA speed as the shutter speed and work from bright sun being f16 down to overcast etc.

I picked up my M42 to K adapter off ebay. Out of Hong Kong for only a few dollars and it had free shipping to boot. Works fine.

Cheers,
Gordon