Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20d with Nikon adapter

Anyone know if there is an adapter for Nikon lenses including non AI(S) lenses to use on a K20?

12-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #2

On the same note, sorry to semi hijack the thread, but what about others like Canon and Minolta, etc. I know you can put canon on M42, and m42 on canon's but what about pentax

AF would be also nice
12-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi kshapero,

Here's a link to an ebay store that has just about any adaptor I could imagine:

eBay Store - CIRRUS ADAPTER WHOLESALE: Olympus 4 3 adapter, Canon Eos adapters, adapter

Scott
12-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
kshapero,
Here is a link to my thread on using Nikkors on your Pentax DSLR. Enjoy.

Dave

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37549-nikon-lens-pentax.html

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Anyone know if there is an adapter for Nikon lenses including non AI(S) lenses to use on a K20?

12-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
kshapero,
Here is a link to my thread on using Nikkors on your Pentax DSLR. Enjoy.

Dave

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37549-nikon-lens-pentax.html
Thanks dave but will any Pentax K to Nikon adapter work for pre AIS lenses? Or is their a particular one?
12-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks dave but will any Pentax K to Nikon adapter work for pre AIS lenses? Or is their a particular one?
They mount well enough without any adapter.
12-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by erik Quote
they mount well enough without any adapter.
awesome!!!
12-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have any AI Nikkors to try. No adapter is needed with non-ai lenses. AI lenses should work as well, providing the aperture provides even support. Just insert the lens in the K-mount with the lens index dot at about the six o'clock position. Rotate the lens gently clockwise about 5 to 10 degrees. Don't force it. The actual bayonet face will be held away from the bodies mount by the apeture ring. This 1mm gap will provide for the difference in registration distance. They focus great at infinity. The aperture ring will work fine, if a little stiff on some lenses. Make sure that the lens doesn't extend past the apeture ring more then 8.5mm. My 20mm Nikkor has a baffle that extends over 10mm, so this won't fit. Handle the camera with care when using this setup of course. enjoy.

Dave

12-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just tried this with a Nikon Non AIS lens. Worked fine.
12-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have optically corrected nikon and canon adaptors to K mount. They are simple teleconverters the nikon one being 1.25:1 and thie canon 1.45:1. They cause some image degradation especially with 50mm F1.8 lenses which I had to try them with. Stopped down they are acceptable. The optical correction maintains infinity focus
12-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't use optical adapters.

As mentioned, pre-AI lenses force-fit onto PK mount quite easily. For a more secure fit, use a worn-down Dremel metal-cutting blade to cut a slot in the lens base about 1mm deep and wide and 5mm long for the PK locking pin to engage. Or, drill a small hole for the same purpose. AI lenses can be destructively modded -- use the Dremel blade to cut off the indexing protrusions, what I call the "nub and arc".

Minolta and Canon lenses cannot be modified for PK mount without extensive surgery. Some people have indeed chopped them, people with more mechanical skill than I. Olympus OM and Contax-Yashica C/Y mounts are easily (and mostly nondestructively) modded. Exakta-Topcon bayonet mounts are easily adapted -- mod the adapter, not the lens. Petri bayonets can be modded, by removing the old base and gluing on an M42-PK adapter. Other bayonet and breech mounts... forget them.
12-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Minolta lenses cannot be modified for PK mount without extensive surgery. Some people have indeed chopped them, people with more mechanical skill than I. Olympus OM and Contax-Yashica C/Y mounts are easily (and mostly nondestructively) modded.
This is interesting RR. I have left this question with my local repair shop so they confirm if they can convert a Minolta/Sony mount on a Voightlander 125 to PK for me (before I spend the big bucks on it) !

The mount sizes are almost identical so surely the removal of one and implementation of the other should easily be possible.
12-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The mount sizes are almost identical so surely the removal of one and implementation of the other should easily be possible.
Yes, the mounts are the same diameter, but the flange-focal-distance (register) differs. Pentax PK and M42 register is 45.46mm. Minolta M/MD register is 43.7mm. An M/MD lens body, and any internal hardware, must be shortened by a bit less than 2mm.

We have a saying: If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
12-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #14

Sigma 400mm for Nikon

Hope this works. Pse see my story at
My 400mm experiment - Pentax owners South Africa - PentaxForums.com