Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Mixing off camera manual & on camera p-ttl flash

Hi all,

The title pretty much says it all. I'm going to be buying a set of cybersyncs within the next few days. I'm going to use the cybersyncs to trigger a viv285 flash manually off my camera. I'd also like to be able to attach my 540 to the camera. I mentioned in the title that I'd like to use the on camera flash in p-ttl but I suppose Auto-thyristor would work for the oncamera flash as well. Forgot to mention this is on a K10d.

So basically I either need to connect my 540 directly to the camera shoe, then connect the cybersync transmitter somehow to the flash? (the problem is I'm not sure what the options are for a f5p -> pc cord are, or if such a thing exists)

Or else I need to get some kind of a hotshoe adapter to sit between the flash and camera that would allow a pc connection to the cybersync transmitter. The pentax hotshoe adapter F looks like such an adapter, except the extra sync port it provides is the pentax f5p layout.

Does anyone have experience with this? It seems like this problem boils down to needing an f5p to PC adapter. I know this would be easier with a k20d and it's nice dedicated pc sync port. I'm hoping to hold out upgrading bodies for a bit though.

-Sam

12-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by srclark Quote
Hi all,

The title pretty much says it all. I'm going to be buying a set of cybersyncs within the next few days. I'm going to use the cybersyncs to trigger a viv285 flash manually off my camera. I'd also like to be able to attach my 540 to the camera. I mentioned in the title that I'd like to use the on camera flash in p-ttl but I suppose Auto-thyristor would work for the oncamera flash as well. Forgot to mention this is on a K10d.

So basically I either need to connect my 540 directly to the camera shoe, then connect the cybersync transmitter somehow to the flash? (the problem is I'm not sure what the options are for a f5p -> pc cord are, or if such a thing exists)

Or else I need to get some kind of a hotshoe adapter to sit between the flash and camera that would allow a pc connection to the cybersync transmitter. The pentax hotshoe adapter F looks like such an adapter, except the extra sync port it provides is the pentax f5p layout.

Does anyone have experience with this? It seems like this problem boils down to needing an f5p to PC adapter. I know this would be easier with a k20d and it's nice dedicated pc sync port. I'm hoping to hold out upgrading bodies for a bit though.

-Sam
I don't know what a cybersync transmitter is and have no experience with Pentax hotshoe flashes but I routinely use the built-in flash on my K10D to trigger a Vivitar 283 off camera. This is done via a Wein Peanut slave that plugs directly into the 283 (and I believe the 285 as well). If you go this route, be sure to get the digital version of the "peanut" which ignores the pre-flash you get with the built-in flash.

The only problem is if you are taking pictures somewhere where other people are popping their flashes. In such a situation, some sort of radio slave like the Pocket Wizards would be better.

Richard
12-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought the 540 flash had a PC sync port? Just run this to your cybersync transmitter (it should have a PC sync socket) and it should trigger the remote flash.
12-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It would trigger the remote flash, but you better forget P-TTL with the aforementionned set up. The camera won't know how much light the Vivitar is going to send, so it won't be able to compute a solution. For such a set up, you'll need to learn how to use both flash on manual and figure out how much light each of them will throw, so you can have some control over the highlights/shadows. Or, even easier, get a flashmeter. It's actually like using studio strobes, so you just need to experiment to see what works and what doesn't work. Good luck.

12-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
The AF540 has a sync port, but it's the pentax f5p connector, it's not a generic pc port.

So the question is I guess, is there an adapter to go from the pentax specific port to a generic PC port. I haven't been able to find one.

I realize the p-ttl will not account for the light from the manual flash. That's actually an integral part of the lighting setup I have in mind.
12-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you should consider Flashwaves over the CyberSynics? I made the choice based on another forum member's positive experience and also because the recievers have hot shoes on them. Fp cables will cost you more than anything you'll save on the CS's. Have a look at the following thread (with the best deal we've found for ordering) for more details on the FW's

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/31950-those-con...-triggers.html

As for mixing P-TTL and or Auto, there's no problem with that. I personally prefer shooting everything, including the camera, in manual for flash work and find the results far more consistent.
12-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by srclark Quote
The AF540 has a sync port, but it's the pentax f5p connector, it's not a generic pc port.

So the question is I guess, is there an adapter to go from the pentax specific port to a generic PC port. I haven't been able to find one.

I realize the p-ttl will not account for the light from the manual flash. That's actually an integral part of the lighting setup I have in mind.
A 5p cord and a Off-Camera Adapter F should be all that is needed. Place the Cybersync in the Off-Camera Adapter F, run the 5p cord from the adapter to the AF540 mounted on the camera and I think you're done.

Pentax Flashes and Flash Accessories

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to add a Hot Shoe Adapter F

The setup would be Hot Shoe Adapter F on camera, AF540 mounted to it, 5P cord attaching the Off-Camera Adapter F to the Hot Shoe Adapter F, and the Cybersync mounted on the Off-Camera Adapter F.

12-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Oh thanks poco, I wasn't looking at those adapters correctly. I think that'll give me everything I need.

-Sam
12-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another possibility if you're willing to go with optical triggering and manual flash would be to use the vivitar (assuming its trigger voltage isn't too high) on the hotshoe and use the AF-540FGZ as a manual optical slave. There is a setting on the flash to change the slave mode between P-TTL and standard (non-P-TTL) slave. No additional wires or hardware required.