Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks very nice.

02-11-2023, 03:23 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by podboy3 Quote
Is the software that the comes in the package deal decent.
I really don't know- I believe it is for a PC but I've been using my mac book Pro II for the internet and much else, have other software for it, or my 21 year-old Dell desktop for editing. This has windows xp, which is no longer supported, so I just continue using PSE with it for most of that. I gave away the new software to a friend. The SD card is a very good one by SanDisc, and the large bag is handy for travel to transport and swap lenses around, as while away I carry different ones on different days and times to go out with, keeping in mind this stuff is free with an otherwise good deal. If the price is reasonably close, I like getting a new one with warranty. One never knows what pre-owned cameras have been through.

However, this is not an option with the KP, and what you found on eBay looks to be very good.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-11-2023 at 03:36 AM.
02-11-2023, 07:54 AM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I really don't know- I believe it is for a PC but I've been using my mac book Pro II for the internet and much else, have other software for it, or my 21 year-old Dell desktop for editing. This has windows xp, which is no longer supported, so I just continue using PSE with it for most of that. I gave away the new software to a friend. The SD card is a very good one by SanDisc, and the large bag is handy for travel to transport and swap lenses around, as while away I carry different ones on different days and times to go out with, keeping in mind this stuff is free with an otherwise good deal. If the price is reasonably close, I like getting a new one with warranty. One never knows what pre-owned cameras have been through.However, this is not an option with the KP, and what you found on eBay looks to be very good.
You mentioned using PSE.
It that Photoshop Elements or Photoshop Express?

I am solid PC around here except for an iPad I just bought (first Apple product in over 20 years) and I only got that because I have some music software and the Android port kind stinks, so I got the iPad because it is the easiest.

Last night I was going through all my different options, looking at all the deals (both new and used) from multiple shops, went through the math of all the different packages and options......While I could have saved a little, it was not enough to justify going with a used one, even if it had a low shutter count. There were two cameras that I really liked that were the Limited versions of the KP and K1 II (black and gold) but the prices I felt were too much for my needs, and really I need it to do what it should, not be a show piece.

So with everything I trolled over.J
I bought the K1 II package deal......and after going back and forth with the seller, I am taking a gamble on the one on eBay and bought that one late last night. Just had a gut feeling about it,hopefully I am not wrong. I figure that even if it has a slightly higher shutter count than what I really wanted, it is still in exceptional shape and if it was used; it was not used much, if at all. I got a bunch more extra pictures and info from the guy, I know you can tell from the pictures he had, but the extra ones (with a lot of detailed shots) looked immaculate, So wish me luck, pray, meditate, or just send good vibes on me making what was hopefully a good choice.

The K1 says it will be here on the 15th

And after all that I am still thinking I will keep the K-5. I would only get a few hundred for it. and after all the talking, research, delving into old posts, and tests between multiple cameras...I honestly do feel now that when I got it, I had zero personal time, was very high strung, always in a rush, and focusing on my career...After all this talking,testing, comparing, and research, as well as just being relaxed and getting used to it, I am almost completely sure I was way too short with it and did not take the time to get used to it. Considering my last two dslr's were the *ist d and the K100D, this was a huge step up and quite different from what I was used to; The control layout, size, feel, and not having a lot of time to just get used to it, along with falling back on cameras that I didn't have to think about because I knew them so well and were less complex and I did not have to be so involved or take the time to get used to it, all of that made me jump the gun and be very rash with my feelings and decisions with it.

So end result is that I am finding myself liking the K-5, and yes I bought the other two.....but the K1 was one that I had wanted since it was released and the collective opinions of many users has piqued my interest and I just have to try one out.

Last edited by podboy3; 02-11-2023 at 08:43 AM.
02-11-2023, 02:56 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
My initial reaction is that it truly is new.
That is my impression. "Estate sale.... open box." in all original packaging... paper work, etc. etc. I would have bought it.

---------- Post added 02-11-23 at 03:03 PM ----------

You mentioned using PSE.
It that Photoshop Elements or Photoshop Express?
Elements, and I think the first version! I tried subsequent versions, but for me the old one works best. I have the advanced, pro photoshop too, but for me it is too cumbersome, complex and more time consuming. For me, the LESS time I spend fiddling around at the computer the better, deciding- do I want it this way, that way, now how again did I get this or the result a few months back?? So I only resort to that version when really needed.

---------- Post added 02-11-23 at 03:18 PM ----------

There were two cameras that I really liked that were the Limited versions of the KP and K1 II (black and gold) but the prices I felt were too much for my needs, and really I need it to do what it should, not be a show piece.
Great choices for cameras!! APS-C is best for easier carrying as needed for certain circumstances. (the way to go for me especially when bicycling) And is far more practical for longer telephoto work. For example, if wanting/needing a fast pair of zooms, short end and tele, I would much rather have my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM on my KP in my holster type case on my hip, along with my Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM in another belt case, rather than the very large expense, and very large size of having the DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 for my K-1 II. I already have the excellent Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II from my film days as a fast zoom for my K-1 II and that is plenty good enough, and enough to carry. I have some very fine FF ultra WA and tele primes along with a slower Sigma tele zoom if I want to go longer, all at modest weight and size. Those along with my FF Limiteds, DFA 100mm WR macro, and other excellent primes fulfill my needs with the K-1 II.

The marvelous FF 36mp K-1 II is especially great for ultra-WA through more moderate tele usage, which is very practical and enjoyable in using. Superb imaging. Many of my very fine FF lenses have been sitting due to their FOV not being as interesting on APS-C. Now they are back in use, better than ever, and I have bought a few more FF lenses as well!

---------- Post added 02-11-23 at 03:30 PM ----------

I bought the K1 II package deal......and after going back and forth with the seller, I am taking a gamble on the one on eBay and bought that one late last night. Just had a gut feeling about it,hopefully I am not wrong. I figure that even if it has a slightly higher shutter count than what I really wanted, it is still in exceptional shape and if it was used; it was not used much, if at all. I got a bunch more extra pictures and info from the guy, I know you can tell from the pictures he had, but the extra ones (with a lot of detailed shots) looked immaculate, So wish me luck, pray, meditate, or just send good vibes on me making what was hopefully a good choice.
Good for you!! I think you made excellent choices here. I believe it is most probable that you lucked into an extremely rare find with the KP deal- and including the battery grip too?? Looks to be actually new, and if so WOW! As to the gold version, in my case I preferred the silver version back when there were plenty of new ones on the market at reduced prices, as I already had some very fine silver lenses- again from my film days, and had already got a deal and was shooting with a silver DA 20-40mm Ltd lens. The silver/black KP goes well with either silver or black lenses However, a black KP is fine, and as you will notice, still exudes fine quality in its finish.

---------- Post added 02-11-23 at 03:46 PM ----------

And after all that I am still thinking I will keep the K-5. I would only get a few hundred for it.
Again good thinking. It is good for backup, and for more casual use. Also, the K-5 is useful as an APS-C body that is capable of enabling power-zoom with those old power zoom lenses, some of which are quite good, as a fun feature. A bit noisy, but fun. Their AF system is also blazingly fast! I especially like the FA 70-200mm f/4-5.6, the version with power zoom. It is more effectively tele on APS-C. The KP is not power zoom capable.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-11-2023 at 04:33 PM.
02-11-2023, 03:58 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I honestly do feel now that when I got it, I had zero personal time, was very high strung, always in a rush, and focusing on my career...After all this talking,testing, comparing, and research, as well as just being relaxed and getting used to it, I am almost completely sure I was way too short with it and did not take the time to get used to it. Considering my last two dslr's were the *ist d and the K100D, this was a huge step up and quite different from what I was used to;
No doubt you are right-on here also. And yes, it was indeed a HUGE step up over those models. It also holds its own quite well even today! But you are about to find out the true meaning of a HUGE step up!! You will soon be able to relax and enjoy plenty of time engaged in photography!

Thanks for keeping us advised as to your latest thoughts and decisions. Please let us know when you get your new equipment. We'd be interested to know your impressions! When in hand, I'll have some suggestions for some settings to give best imaging results for straight out of camera shooting.

---------- Post added 02-11-23 at 04:44 PM ----------

One further thought. Being winter, when new equipment comes, I let it sit for a good while unopened to prevent any condensation from taking place. I might open the outer box, and expose the product carton to lessen the temperature adjustment time. Not sure how your conditions are in Houston.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-11-2023 at 04:39 PM.