Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2023, 02:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Limitations on K3 shooting video

I am shooting a footage about an hour long, and output to OBS stream to Youtube, I got the Sony RX10 and it is better than the K3 for video, but there's a problem. The LCD will turn off by itself when I connect to the HDMI capture device, there's no setting to change that on the camera, I can only view the video on Youtube, that's not practical due to the long delay. I am thinking about to use the K3 Gen1 instead, but there's other problem. I don't know how long will the battery last with the LCD on, I've the battery grip but don't know if it will auto switch battery without interruption, since I don't have the power adatper for it I can only use battery. I also don't know if there's time limit and over heating problem on the K3 shooting one hour long FHD footage, any comment ?

02-06-2023, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the K-3 has a 25 minutes timelimit for video recording (maybe 30 minutes, I am not sure on the exact number).
As far as I know has that nothing to do with technical limitations, but something with tax advantages from stills cameras over video cameras.

You have to start recording manually after that time again, so short cuts will be unavoidable.
I almost never use video (and only for short clips), therefore I can't help with your other questions
02-07-2023, 06:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think the K-3 has a 25 minutes timelimit for video recording (maybe 30 minutes, I am not sure on the exact number).
As far as I know has that nothing to do with technical limitations, but something with tax advantages from stills cameras over video cameras.

You have to start recording manually after that time again, so short cuts will be unavoidable.
I almost never use video (and only for short clips), therefore I can't help with your other questions
Thanks for the info. I just test with my K3 and find some more limitation with it in shooting video, I can't turn off the OSD (Overlay) on HDMI, I can't get a 'clean' video with it, and the LCD will turn off as soon as I plug in the capture device just like the Sony RX10. I read that it is possible to turn off the OSD but first need to have enough battery power, 2nd there are few display need to turn off as well such as the level sensor. The worst of all is the battery draining fast, the output freezes and become grainy, at some point the camera completely halt I must remove the battery to restart it. I don't have the power adapter, and I don't know if the battery grip can auto switch battery without interruption. I gave it up for video shoot, I don't hate the camera but it really lacks in the video department that I rarely use.
02-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Video recording was never Pentax's strong suit.
I think the new K-3iii got some improvements in that compartment, but the primary focus will always remain on photography

02-07-2023, 08:54 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Nuh, not many cameras make for good webcams, which is what you want.

The best ones will let you connect by USB for the streaming.

The K-3 III will do 4k, but that's not what you actually want for streaming unless you and your end users have lots of bandwidth.

Some suggestions:

https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-guides/best-camera-for-streaming
02-07-2023, 10:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nuh, not many cameras make for good webcams, which is what you want.

The best ones will let you connect by USB for the streaming.

The K-3 III will do 4k, but that's not what you actually want for streaming unless you and your end users have lots of bandwidth.

Some suggestions:

https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-guides/best-camera-for-streaming
Yes I got couple good webcam, I planned to use the K3 due to the choice of lenses to use, I can use a short zoom to cover the whole venue and room to get closer when needed, better than digital zoom with webcam. The reason I stick with Pentax for so many years is I shoot stills mainly, video is not my area I don't even have interest to do it, and Pentax is the best stills camera I've ever used in all aspects.
02-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Yes I got couple good webcam, I planned to use the K3 due to the choice of lenses to use, I can use a short zoom to cover the whole venue and room to get closer when needed, better than digital zoom with webcam. The reason I stick with Pentax for so many years is I shoot stills mainly, video is not my area I don't even have interest to do it, and Pentax is the best stills camera I've ever used in all aspects.
Yeah, it's nothing to do with brands.

It's the situation.

It's wrong to use a Canon or a Nikon or a Pentax for video streaming when two or three dedicated webcams are the way to go.

It's all about purpose.

Something like a Canon 5D Mk IV or a Pentax K-3 III is great for making a movie, or documentary or commercial or whatever, because a typical cut between edits might be ten seconds or less.

But a Youtube stream is continuous for the hour or whatever.

02-10-2023, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, it's nothing to do with brands.

It's the situation.

It's wrong to use a Canon or a Nikon or a Pentax for video streaming when two or three dedicated webcams are the way to go.

It's all about purpose.

Something like a Canon 5D Mk IV or a Pentax K-3 III is great for making a movie, or documentary or commercial or whatever, because a typical cut between edits might be ten seconds or less.

But a Youtube stream is continuous for the hour or whatever.
Regarding shooting video one thing I don't understand is that, most new digital cameras are capable of shooting high quality video but not designed in such a way suitable for the task, I mean in actual use not simply the technical specifications of it. You can pick almost any new DSLR(oops Pentax only !) and mirrorless to shoot great 4K and even higher footage, but you have to gear them up to make them work like a real video camera, most such camera don't even have a suitable grip for video shoot without add on handles. Sorry I have to use the word 'silly' to say to have to spend so much on the add ons, instead, if I were to shoot video I would go for something like the Canon XCs that handle better and can shoot stills as well. This is just like cell phone, back in the days the camera was a bonus feature to have, and nowadays the phone is it ! if any new "stills-centric" camera like Pentax can't shoot good video will be regarded as 'trash' is unfair, simply some guys picked the wrong tools and yelling !
02-12-2023, 04:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Regarding shooting video one thing I don't understand is that, most new digital cameras are capable of shooting high quality video but not designed in such a way suitable for the task, I mean in actual use not simply the technical specifications of it. You can pick almost any new DSLR(oops Pentax only !) and mirrorless to shoot great 4K and even higher footage, but you have to gear them up to make them work like a real video camera, most such camera don't even have a suitable grip for video shoot without add on handles. Sorry I have to use the word 'silly' to say to have to spend so much on the add ons, instead, if I were to shoot video I would go for something like the Canon XCs that handle better and can shoot stills as well. This is just like cell phone, back in the days the camera was a bonus feature to have, and nowadays the phone is it ! if any new "stills-centric" camera like Pentax can't shoot good video will be regarded as 'trash' is unfair, simply some guys picked the wrong tools and yelling !
Yeah, a DSLR or MILC should be put in a cage which can hold microphone, HDMI recorder, external viewing screen, have mount points for harness so you can put it on your shoulder to shoot from, etc.

A phone is about the worst for all of that. One redeeming thing is that it's small enough to use a cheaper stabilizing gimbal, a small consolation.