Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2023, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Two features that might make me switch to Nikon

Ok, ok, I know a bit dramatic...
But hear me out, these features really scream Pentax to me.

A bit of context: I have a friend photographer who I hang out with and we compare cameras from time to time. Its the K1 vs the D810, a pretty close match specs wise.
But, when we shoot old manual lenses I am speechless from the nikon:
1. Not only the lens is recorded in a slot in the camera with the minimal aperture, this last one is read in real time when you move the ring and doesn't require stop down metering.
2. The MF indicator help. Two arrows and a circle assist you while focussing, to show you which way you need to rotate the focusing ring in order to achieve full focus, marked by a circle.

I am aware that Pentax had versions of both these options at some time in their cameras. The assisted manual focus was introduced with the MeF, but I don't know it ot was continued after that.
The aperture indicator coupling was dropped when the mount was crippled and this has been discussed extensively in the forums.

What I'm getting to here is: how awesome would it be to see these two features in the k1iii!
It's not like it would would require Ricoh/Pentax to invent something revolutionary, this is all old tech. They would just need to prioritise these functions.

Who knows, maybe with the new analog friendly direction that they are going...

02-06-2023, 03:20 PM   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
2. The MF indicator help. Two arrows and a circle assist you while focussing, to show you which way you need to rotate the focusing ring in order to achieve full focus, marked by a circle.
How well does their "catch in focus" go ?
And how well does their directional advice go when you are focusing on something off centre?
02-06-2023, 03:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1. Not only the lens is recorded in a slot in the camera with the minimal aperture, this last one is read in real time when you move the ring and doesn't require stop down metering.
This helps me for flash, strobe and auto iso
02-06-2023, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I couldn't imagine being so disengaged from focusing that I would need the camera to tell me which way to turn the ring. :/

Doesn't the K-3 III have some sort of functionality where it can record the aperture info, if the user inputs it?

02-06-2023, 04:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

A bit of context: I have a friend photographer who I hang out with and we compare cameras from time to time. Its the K1 vs the D810, a pretty close match specs wise.

I am aware that Pentax had versions of both these options at some time in their cameras. The assisted manual focus was introduced with the MeF, but I don't know it ot was continued after that.
The aperture indicator coupling was dropped when the mount was crippled and this has been discussed extensively in the forums.

What I'm getting to here is: how awesome would it be to see these two features in the k1iii!
It's not like it would would require Ricoh/Pentax to invent something revolutionary, this is all old tech. They would just need to prioritise these functions.

This is the advantage of Nikon's auto indicing system that they introduced in 1977 when they moved away from the manual indicing that required the user to move the aperture ring from stop to stop to tell it what the maximum aperture was for open aperture metering.
We would still have that capability had Pentax not decided to remove the aperture simulator lever from their cameras late in the film era.
02-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I couldn't imagine being so disengaged from focusing that I would need the camera to tell me which way to turn the ring. :/
It helps to tell you if you are front focus or back focused
02-06-2023, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't the K-3 III have some sort of functionality where it can record the aperture info, if the user inputs it?
Yes it does.
Using Manual Lenses on the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

02-06-2023, 11:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well yes, but it still needs stop down metering, it cannot tell automatically which aperture you're at.

---------- Post added 02-07-23 at 12:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Exactly, and for some of us who have some eye deficiency it's really helpful.

---------- Post added 02-07-23 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Exactly, and for some of us who have some eye deficiency it's really helpful.
02-07-2023, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An amusing idea from a Nikon-specific site this week is the plan its owner has to advise anyone asking him if they should switch (away from Nikon) to answer “yes, and let me know when you switch back so I can continue to help you.”
02-07-2023, 04:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This has to be the laziest defense of a deficiency I have heard in some time. This feature sounds extremely useful. . How often are you using manual glass on a Pentax DSLR?
02-07-2023, 05:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The first of them would be possible on a Pentax DSLR if they un-crippled the mount, as many users have been asking for years. It would be incredibly useful.

The second is a nice feature which Pentax have had in the past, I think on their SF7 AF film SLR (though I can't confirm that as I've misplaced mine).

Either way, both things are open to Pentax to add if they see fit.
02-07-2023, 09:37 AM - 8 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
This has to be the laziest defense of a deficiency I have heard in some time. This feature sounds extremely useful. . How often are you using manual glass on a Pentax DSLR?
I like the bluntness of your comment

For about a decade I photographed a lot of the local wildlife just about exclusively with manual focus lenses. And macro (even with an AF lens). And pretty much anything longer than my DA 70. It never occurred to me that somehow the camera should indicate which way I needed to turn the focus ring

Maybe because I lived the manual-focus photographic lifestyle for so long, I am underestimating the helpfulness of the feature.
02-07-2023, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
luft: I have to admit that I might have been... in a mood, when I wrote my reply, which has nothing to do with you. Thank-you for your positive attitude about my statement.

Your photos are quite good, and I appreciate sharing good examples of what is possible. I have spent a lot of time using manual glass on my K-5 II and it's not so bad in normal daylight. Where I get tripped up is low light shooting. I commonly back focus in dark rooms & bars when shooting manually. I actually have this issue, to a lesser extent, with my Pentax MX and the same lenses so this might be a bit of an eyesight / mental processing issue.

A mirrorless camera like my Fuji X-H1 offers good aids in using the same lenses so I've transitioned to that body for those situations when I want to shoot digital. But I would happily accept some more assistance in a Pentax body beyond the green hexagon if something were to be added. A magnifying loupe would probably help as well. I've wondered about the K-3 III and its improved viewfinder + a magnifier.
02-07-2023, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
luft: I have to admit that I might have been... in a mood, when I wrote my reply, which has nothing to do with you. Thank-you for your positive attitude about my statement.
I think you're right, though. I bet most people who use manual focus lenses don't use them to the almost obsessive extend that I did with my telephotos - I would practice focusing even when I wasn't out shooting - and if your MF lenses are simply "in the mix" with your AF ones, I imagine it's not difficult to be a little bit "lost" when focusing.

QuoteQuote:
Your photos are quite good, and I appreciate sharing good examples of what is possible. I have spent a lot of time using manual glass on my K-5 II and it's not so bad in normal daylight. Where I get tripped up is low light shooting. I commonly back focus in dark rooms & bars when shooting manually. I actually have this issue, to a lesser extent, with my Pentax MX and the same lenses so this might be a bit of an eyesight / mental processing issue.
My tendency for a while was to front-focus, I think I would simply get too excited. It was a habit that was hard to break until I recalled the old baseball adage, "swing through the ball". That was my "aha moment".

QuoteQuote:
A mirrorless camera like my Fuji X-H1 offers good aids in using the same lenses so I've transitioned to that body for those situations when I want to shoot digital. But I would happily accept some more assistance in a Pentax body beyond the green hexagon if something were to be added. A magnifying loupe would probably help as well. I've wondered about the K-3 III and its improved viewfinder + a magnifier.
The coyote photo I posted was actually shot with my Panasonic G9 + Tamron Adaptall 400/4 combo on a February evening, and it was pretty dark. I don't know if I could have made the shot if it hadn't been for the G9's large, bright EVF. Also, I was a little nervous because I was sitting on my posterior and don't have much experience with coyotes, and she/he seemed so big in the viewfinder, and only 25 yards or so sway.
02-07-2023, 12:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But hear me out, these features really scream Pentax to me. .........

My response:

To each their own.

Nikon D810 does not have light assist function, variable axis tilting screen, 5 axis sensor shift, and a high dynamic range of Pentax K-1, something that I would need.

I would like K-1 iii to rather have a crop mode increased to at least 25 MP so that more economical crop sensor lens could also be used on it more effectively and efficiently.