Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2023, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Dad took photos of hikes (or tramps as we call them in NZ), ........

I tend to have a particular interest in natural history, ........

A solution I've found that works well a lot of the time that would probably apply even better to those more interested in the hike than the photography, is to carry two cameras.......

I think there is something I'll call Murphy's inverse law of outdoor photography: The more remote the location, and thus the less likely I am to be able to return, the more likely I am to want to carry more equipment in order to photograph the location in as much detail as possible.
Thanks for sharing the passion of your dad!

About nature, I wanted to say that I took to photography as I wanted to study nature, while my dog was sniffing the ground. Otherwise, when I started hiking, the pace of the accompanying hikers was so fast that I began to question the purpose of hiking.

As I mentioned in my article, I also carry two cameras with two different sets of lenses. I think it is a good approach.

Regards,

---------- Post added 03-05-23 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I am probably more of a hiker who takes photos than I am a photographer who takes hikes.
Most often, I like to grab my camera holster and head out for a hike, whatever camera and lens I’d in the holster is what I will use. My purpose is to get out of the house and go for a hike, I am probably set at AV, f8, ISO 800. If I see something and I want to take a picture, I stop and take out my camera, compose , maybe change a setting, and open the shutter. Camera back in the holster and I am on my way.

If I have a location or subject in mind which requires a hike, I select the best combo for the situation. I might also throw a tripod into a rucksack along with other gear, including a Cotton Carrier harness. I usually have a long lens combo on the harness and I make my way to my intended destination to capture a few images.
Hi,

This is an interesting strategy, perhaps something exactly opposite to what I do. More recently, I have started taking with me wildlife zoom and wide angle primes and then make sure that I make use of each of them during the hike.

Regards,

---------- Post added 03-05-23 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I am definitely a hiker who takes photos!! ........... I become more involved instead of just passing through! Plus the photos let me share the woods with others who may not have the physical or mental stamina to see the places I have been to! So we both benefit!
Hi,

very well said! You have summed up my interest very well indeed! I too smile when people think I am a photographer. I always have to explain them haha.

Regards,

---------- Post added 03-05-23 at 10:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've never had an issue with any of the gear I've taken on a hike, whatever the weather. All the modern stuff is equally as good and capable, as far as I'm concerned.
Hi,

It is an interesting point of view. I think you may be correct. However, I am just pessimistic after listening to those professional photographers who are reviewing a camera and/or a lens and then as a negative, have to add that they are not weather resistant.

Regards,

---------- Post added 03-05-23 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I swear that many types of birds will intentionally put themselves in a position that the sun is directly behind them when you see them. Kind of a joke, but I think it may be an actual defense mechanism.
Hi,

In any case, when you are hiking to reach your destination by a certain time, it is going to be difficult to get a perfect bird, tree, reflection, etc. shot. At least this is my experience.

Now if you look at one of the shots in my article where a boat is approaching sun rays over the English channel, I had to wait for 30 minutes for it to reach the edge. It was sailing so slow that I quit.

Regards,

03-05-2023, 09:21 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've tried to do that four seasons photos, but have never managed to get all four for some reason or other, usually just forgetting it.
Me too! I've seldom got four seasons photos because that requires becoming a "hiker for photography".

Being more in the hiking photography camp, I've taken lots of pictures of the same hikes and destinations during various seasons but have not necessarily captured "official" photos of each season. At some level, I enjoy this semi-random sampling of what I experienced in contrast to the more directed hiker for photography pursuit of the perfect spring-summer-fall-winter images. In doing hiking photography, I really get to enjoy all the true variations in nature instead of imposing pre-conceptions of what each season is supposed to look like.
03-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
It is an interesting point of view. I think you may be correct. However, I am just pessimistic after listening to those professional photographers who are reviewing a camera and/or a lens and then as a negative, have to add that they are not weather resistant
The way I look at it, each system - in fact, each piece of gear - has positive and negative attributes that have greater or lesser impact to the photographer. All of these attributes - from build quality to image quality to ergonomics to features to price - have to be judged by individual potential users to determine the most suitable gear.

A few years ago Imaging-Resource founder Dave Etchells began developing a weather sealing test.

Water Torture: Nikon D850 vs Sony A7RIII, Canon 5D Mk IV & Olympus E-M1 II

You did WHAT to our camera? IR weather testing version 1.0

Unfortunately, Imaging-Resource ran into financial problems and Dave left, so I don't know if there will ever be a time where they include weather-sealing tests as part of their review process.
03-05-2023, 02:44 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's an app for that.
I would probably forget about the app

03-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Me too! I've seldom got four seasons photos because that requires becoming a "hiker for photography".

Being more in the hiking photography camp, I've taken lots of pictures of the same hikes and destinations during various seasons but have not necessarily captured "official" photos of each season. At some level, I enjoy this semi-random sampling of what I experienced in contrast to the more directed hiker for photography pursuit of the perfect spring-summer-fall-winter images. In doing hiking photography, I really get to enjoy all the true variations in nature instead of imposing pre-conceptions of what each season is supposed to look like.
I'm in an area now where there are not many seasonal variations besides , grass color, wildflowers, and flowering trees. Most of the trees are pine. Differences are there, but just not to the degree I am used to.
03-05-2023, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would probably forget about the app
Try the calendar on your phone with it set to give you reminders.

The joy of canoe camping is.... you paddle in poor light (daylight sun) , but you have time in the mornings and evenings when the sun is optimal to take images. That gets you away from the downside of being trying to get shots while travelling and the inability to control the sun. We always look for campsites that are on a point facing south or west, so we get a chance at a sunset or sunrise each day. I always tell clients if I see great picture I'm going to stop and take it, but it rarely happens.

Here we are, end of the day with my daughter and three grand kids. It's a west facing campsite with a bay behind it.. mom pulled a huge catfish out of the lake, it was quite a struggle. Then she called her chicks over and everyone pigged out. . We'd already set up camp. We just sat and watched life being life.. We're pretty sure everyone was well fed, and I got good pictures. But if this hadn't happened we were still having good time socializing on the beach, kms away from any kind of civilization.

Here we have Cameron road in Algonquin... Photographs of Chickadees, Blue Jays, Canada Jays, wood peckers , an Nuthatches and even the odd Pine Marten can be had here on any given day. Most of these people have driven up from the Toronto area, for the day, the weekend or even the week. They don't even have to hike. Just don't park where people are feeding the birds.

A Cameron Rd. Canada Jay

So what does my travel kit look like? K-1 for landscape with the DFA 28-105.

K-3 for wildlife. with the DA 55-300 PLM. (Spruce Bog Hiking Trail)

Waterproof camera for images on the portage trail or from the boat.(If all you want is a few snapshots to help remember the trips and maybe a few sunsets etc, I don't know why you'd want more than this.

Typically, The K-1 with 28-105 with the 100 macro in one case, and most often the Sigma 24 macro, which takes almost no space.
The K-3 with the DA 55-300 PLM in another case, with the TC.
The waterproof camera (currently my iPhone) convenient in a pack near or under my seat for easy access while travelling.

But bottom line, we like paddling, and we like photography. We don't have to break it down and say we like one and it's more important than the other. If I just want pictures, I'll join the other road warriors and drive up and down Hwy. 60 looking for images where all I have to do is get out of my car.

Go to this page and 6 images were driving , usually to go shopping, and spotted something along the way. 3 are at a set location you can drive to where the wildlife in question was likely to be found.(Cameron Road, Arrowhon Lodge. Costello Creek,) only two were on camping trips or hikes. (Two were in my back yard.)

This might be the only one I've ever taken after spotting an animal on a hike, where no animals had been previously seen.

So in 15 years and probably 60 trips and more than 100 hikes, I've seen one mink, one Pine Marten, and some birds, and a few moose in places I didn't expect them to be. Expecting wildlife on hikes is not a zero sum endeavour, but pretty close, unless walking through habitat known to be places they habituate.

The truth is people don't hike far with big lenses. It's not an activity conducive to wildlife photography. For DSLRs, and long hikes... a K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM is the most I'll carry. That combo is great when conditions favour it. But it may not be efficient to carry more than that, on long hikes. That and the DA 16-85 and possibly the 100 macro, is probably what I'd want to carry, at the most. And often, just the DA 18-135.

The problem with on the the fly hiking is, if you're moving, wild animals know you are there from a good distance. If you don't have open country and a long lens, you probably aren't getting a shot. And in fact, GPSed cougars and Grizzlies have been passed by hikers who were 60-100 feet away from them, and the hikers never knew they were there. They don't just sit out in the open and pose.

The best photographers, find animal hunting grounds (like an owl working a meadow), stay in a location long enough for the animals to get accustomed to them, or where they can sit long enough without moving than an animal can wander by without getting spooked. So from my perspective it comes down to there are those who don't really plan for pictures (and for the most part get nothing special) , but will take one if one presents itself, and those who go places and plan time for taking pictures.Those who plan to are a lot more successful as photographers. I actually don't even call the others photographers. Any human with phone can do that.

Don't believe for a second you'll be successful as a photographer while walking around doing something else. You can carry any camera you want, it won't matter. Good photography needs good light. And good light usually depends on being there morning or evening.

Last edited by normhead; 03-06-2023 at 11:28 AM.
03-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Try the calendar on your phone with it set to give you reminders.

The joy of canoe camping is.... ...
Hi,

I am bookmarking this awesome share for responding from home.

03-06-2023, 08:01 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Typically, The K-1 with 28-105 with the 100 macro in one case, and most often the Sigma 24 macro, which takes almost no space.
The K-3 with the DA 55-300 PLM in another case, with the TC.
The waterproof camera (currently my iPhone) convenient in a pack near or under my seat for easy access while travelling.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/452855-hiking-p...#ixzz7vEmrOkLg
Hi,

You have a perfect set up, well almost, for shooting landscapes and whatever wildlife that comes your way.

As you can see via the pictures I posted in this article, I used that 55-300 PLM for landscape photography too. It is a great all purpose lens.

But don't you find K-1 a tad heavy to carry all the time?
03-06-2023, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The truth is people don't hike far with big lenses. It's not an activity conducive to wildlife photography. For DSLRs, and long hikes... a K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM is the most I'll carry. That combo is great when conditions favour it. But it may not be efficient to carry more than that, on long hikes. That and the DA 16-85 and possibly the 100 macro, is probably what I'd want to carry, at the most. And often, just the DA 18-135.

Read more at: Hiking for photography versus hiking photography (and why Pentax system is for me) - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com.
Hi,

I agree with you. For a long 9 am to 9 pm hike in New Forest National Park, UK, I carried KP and 55-300 PLM and HD DA 15 mm. Because of a continuous downpour, I could not bring my 15 mm out of the bag. So all photography was done using the 55-300mm. In hindsight, I think I should have taken my 18-135 mm instead of 15 mm, but then the weight of photography gear was going a bit beyond my plan.

I would love to carry heavier set up for wildlife oriented/focused photography trips, such as my 1.4TC x 300 mm lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo