Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #1

K20D + Sigma 70-200 mm Problem

Hello,

I got a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 II EX DG APO MACRO HSM for my birthday, over a week ago. And at first I had no problems whatsoever, I loved the lens.
But starting today my lens doesn't focus automatically any more, and I can't even take pictures in AF. MF does still work and I can take pictures with it, but I want to use my AF again.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my lens?

12-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Patrick Quote
Hello,

I got a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 II EX DG APO MACRO HSM for my birthday, over a week ago. And at first I had no problems whatsoever, I loved the lens.
But starting today my lens doesn't focus automatically any more, and I can't even take pictures in AF. MF does still work and I can take pictures with it, but I want to use my AF again.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my lens?
Obviously this is guesswork: Have you set the lens' focus collar back to AF, after using it in MF? Some Sigma lenses won't focus in AF mode, when the collar is still at MF.

(My Bigma is an example of this, whereas my old 70-200/2.8 does AF with the collar in any position.)

Ben
12-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, both are on AF.
What was strange was, I haven't changed the settings, and suddenly it didn't work any more as it has to do.
01-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Patrick, if you really haven't changed anything, and not added a tele converter or something similar, in between the lens and the camera (some tc's block correct AF function, sometimes) it reads like a case for the Sigma service. Ig all other lenses work as usual, I would send the lens to Sigma.

Ben

01-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have just sent the lens to Sigma and will receive it back within 6 weeks.
01-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Patrick Quote
I have just sent the lens to Sigma and will receive it back within 6 weeks.
Patrick, I don't know, where you sent it. But Sigma Germany seems to have a usual turnaround of between 6 and 20 days. I never needed their service, but that is, what I read from users in the German forums. So, may be they have given you a worst case estimate.

Ben