Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-11-2023, 04:41 PM   #1

K200D Advice Needed

I have a K200D coming in the mail. Anything I should know about the best SD cards for it? Any limitations or requirements due to it’s age I should be aware of? Also, any AA battery advice?

Last edited by grossman; 03-11-2023 at 05:45 PM.
03-11-2023, 06:08 PM   #2

If it has firmware v1.0 on it the max size card is 4GB. You have to update the firmware to use SDHC Cards.
03-11-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K200 was a solid camera, I still have one, but have not used it for years,
While you are waiting for yours to show up, you can start reading the manual,
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k200d.pdf

I ran mine mostly with SanDisk Cards, forget the max size it will handle but you should be able to run any current SD cards in it.
Mine did tend to eat batteries, I ran Eneloop rechargeables in it, get at least two sets so you can swap out in the field.
If you want to use disposables, get Lithiums, it will eat up alkalines like a teenager through a bag of potato chips.

Biggest limitation I found with it was the ISO, Only runs up to 1600, and 800 was all the noise I could stomach from it. At lower ISOs, it gave very nice results.
Enjoy it,

Per Not a Number, definitely update the Firmware,
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k200d_s.html
03-11-2023, 08:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K200D is limited to 32Gb cards even with the latest firmware.

03-12-2023, 01:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K200D is a nice camera with a fairly full complement of features.
One thing it's NOT good at is infra-red photography.
The built-in filter is far more efficient at removing infra-red than the earlier cameras, which is probably why the minimum ISO is 100 not 200 and the upper sensitivity is similarly reduced
My example, bought second-hand as "faulty", performs flawlessly with eneloop batteries fitted … I've not bothered to try anything else
03-12-2023, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love My K200 I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries, they last a long time, but I carry an extra set with me just in case. These are not rechargeable .You can get them almost anywhere. All of my posts on this site were taken with the K200.

enjoy, it's a rugged camera and can handle the elements without fear of damage.
03-12-2023, 10:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
As a pre mirrorless lifelong Pentax shooter, I have a fairly substantial collection of Takumar M42 & K mount vintage lenses that I use on my mirrorless cameras. My Pentax DSLRs being long gone, I figured I would pick one up for a change of pace once in a while nostalgic shooting experience. Not needing nor wanting this to be the latest/“greatest”, and in fact looking for something different than what more modern cameras can offer, I naturally went for the CCD..... EyE’m Looking forward to it!

03-12-2023, 02:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you often shoot highest quality JPEG images right out of the camera, be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Sharpening adjustment of each category, except possibly the "Portrait" category. Especially in most often used categories like the "Bright" category. This will make a difference for fine image detail.
03-12-2023, 05:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
if you often shoot highest quality jpeg images right out of the camera, be sure to go into the custom image menus to set up "fine sharpening" in the sharpening adjustment of each category, except possibly the "portrait" category. Especially in most often used categories like the "bright" category. This will make a difference for fine image detail.
~ ✅ ~
03-14-2023, 04:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
If you often shoot highest quality JPEG images right out of the camera, be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Sharpening adjustment of each category, except possibly the "Portrait" category. Especially in most often used categories like the "Bright" category. This will make a difference for fine image detail.
Seemingly because I’m shooting with vintage manual lenses without any connection to the body’s electronics, I’m shut out of all scene modes and multi-metering, so I’ll have to do whatever I need to do in post.

---------- Post added 03-14-23 at 04:22 AM ----------

As stated above, I’m blocked from using the scene modes on the dummy dial, but more importantly than that is the fact that I can’t find the Tonal Setting section that contains choices for Bright, Natural, Monochrome, etc. Where is it hiding?

Last edited by pschlute; 03-14-2023 at 05:10 AM. Reason: corrected spelling !
03-14-2023, 05:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grossman Quote

I can’t find the Tonal Setting section that contains choices for Bright, Natural, Monochrome, etc. Where is it hiding?
Here is a link to the manual https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k200d.pdf

From page 144 it tells you how to adjust the custom images, and even creating one of your own.

ps. I edited your last post as it seems you were having issues with a wayward spell-checker
03-14-2023, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Here is a link to the manual https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k200d.pdf

From page 144 it tells you how to adjust the custom images, and even creating one of your own.

ps. I edited your last post as it seems you were having issues with a wayward spell-checker
Got it. Right in front of my face. Just received the camera yesterday. Had a bit of trouble figuring out how to use it with the vintage manual lenses I’ll be using with it, but figured out it’s limitations. Biggest one is not being able to take advantage of multi- metering mode, especially so as this camera, unlike my mirrorless, doesn’t show you effects in real pre-shot time. Thanks for the re write. That pesky overt ambitious spellchecker often gets in my way without notice, as EyE too often neglect to give it the once over once done.
03-14-2023, 11:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grossman Quote
... but more importantly than that is the fact that I can’t find the Tonal Setting section that contains choices for Bright, Natural, Monochrome, etc. Where is it hiding?
Press the Function (Fn) button, then the OK button, then scroll left and right through the choices with the 4-way controller. NB, scroll down in any setting to fine-tune any of the Custom Image settings to your own preferences