Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tips on how to inspect K200D please!

Hi there,

This is my first post on PentaxForums and was hoping I could get some valuable insight from some of the members of this site.

I'm interested in purchasing a K200D and have read/watched every single review on it in existence. The camera just feels right in my hands, takes great pics, is easy to use (i'm a complete novice here) and I couldn't care enough about live view... the list goes on. I don't have to tell you guys!

Anyhow, I found a "brand new in box" k200d on craigslist and am considering buying it as I've negotiated it down to around $150 less than retail (comes with the 18-55mm kit lens too). I just want to know what I need to look for to make sure i'm not getting ripped off. I know that the boxes don't come sealed in plastic, so it's possible that it could have been tampered with or defective.

If there's anything I should look for or anything inside the packaging that will act as a red flag will be much appreciated.

Also, please don't bother posting anything like "just buy retail" because as you know, we're in an economic downturn and I'm counting beans here!

Thanks and I look forward to you advice.

12-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suppose there are any number of things that *could* be wrong with it, but given that you'll never be able to do a *completely* exhaustive test, I'd start with the most obvious, most likely to be defective, easiest to check for things:

- With camera turned on, press every button to verify that it physically works and has the expected effect. Tough if you don't know what's supposed to happen, but for the most part, something will be displayed in the viewfinder or LCD in response to any button push.
- Take a picture n "P" mode and view it on the LCD. If it can take a picture with whatever settings it is on, chance are, it can take a picture on any setting.
- Take a picture with flash to be sure that works.
- Take a picture with and without SR to be sure that it doesn't *completely* screw up the picture. You're not trying to verify the effectiveness of the system, just making sure the sensor isn't just bouncing around aimlessly.

If it passes those tests, chances are it's fine.
12-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Try the camera with the grip on and off the camera. With the grip on, try both shutter releases to make sure that they work. Also take a second set of AA batteries to see if the grip can power the camera.

My K200D came with the 18-55 AL II lens - double check to see if this the lens you are getting in the deal.

Otherwise, I think that Marc pretty much covered all of the important stuff.
12-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kami Quote
Try the camera with the grip on and off the camera. With the grip on, try both shutter releases to make sure that they work. Also take a second set of AA batteries to see if the grip can power the camera.

My K200D came with the 18-55 AL II lens - double check to see if this the lens you are getting in the deal.
Note the camera doesn't normally come with the grip, so don't be expecting it if you weren't told up front you'd be buying that too. Good call on the lens - again, assuming you were told you'd be getting it. The camera could have been sold with or without a lens at all.

12-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Shutter actuations

This may not be terribly easy to do before you buy the camera, but the current shutter actuation count is recorded in the exif data for each image. If you can take a picture and examine the exif data on a computer, it will show how many times the shutter has been operated.

A count of more than a couple of hundred would indicate that the camera is not a new as the seller says it is. Apparently, during quality assurance, the shutter is actuated more than a hundred times. This has been discussed on the various forums, and I have never heard of a shutter count on a new-in-box Pentax dslr of less than about 150. OTOH, if the count is 1,000, then someone has used the camera, at least a little.

There are several free tools that will display the exif data, such as OPANDA, and EXIFTOOLS. Look for a line labelled "shutter count".

Paul Noble