Jpeg 1610.60%
Raw 8455.63%
Both 4831.79%
indifferent 31.99%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 113 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2023, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread to DSLR discussion. It seems like a better fit for it than the Film Camera sub forum.

03-15-2023, 04:45 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Both!

Mostly I shoot RAW+JPG to have both an easy-to-share SOOC image but also keep a copy of the full data.

Sometimes I do shoot JPG-only when the lighting is poor, the subject matter is so-so, or I'm just documenting an event with snapshots.

Also, even if I'm in JPG-only mode, Pentax cameras offer a shot-by-shot trick for also saving a RAW copy of "a keeper": just after the shot (when the review image pops up or if you hit the play button to show the last image but BEFORE turning off the camera), hitting the AE-L button while that most recent image is showing brings up the option to save a RAW copy. It's a great way to do RAW on a case-by-case basis.
03-15-2023, 04:54 AM   #18
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

RAW only and currently PEF as it works better in Capture One. I prefer to make decisions myself and I like the freedom to control lighting afterwards. There's so much you can do in post. For the same reason I shoot mainly in Manual mode and often with manual lenses. I feel like the process is more important than the final result. I really don't have much use for my photographs. Mainly post here.
03-15-2023, 05:06 AM   #19
Pentaxian

RAW / DNG for me, unless rapid action being shot. If JPG, highest size and quality possible.

Quote 'I waste time I can spent on something more interesting'

Is it a waste of time to try to produce the best image you can from the original capture ? You may well find subtleties you had not noticed when you took the shot.

T

03-15-2023, 05:33 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I still had a DSLR I set it to raw + 2M JPEG. I liked the convenience of getting a ready to use web-size photo without having to do any further editing. But it's still useful to have the original raw image at your disposal, although I didn't even have to touch them maybe 90 % of the time.
03-15-2023, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Both.

I'm still on a steep learning curve with post processing.

And sometimes .jpeg is "good enough", especially for family friends shots when they want to see them soon, and I just don't have the time to devote to working the RAW files. K-1 II makes it easy to do both with two card ports.

Hoping to get better working with RAW in the future as I wind down work commitments!
03-15-2023, 06:13 AM - 5 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Quote 'I waste time I can spent on something more interesting'

Is it a waste of time to try to produce the best image you can from the original capture ? You may well find subtleties you had not noticed when you took the shot.
For me it is. I do not pixel peep, I print my images on 60x40cm or smaller and show them here. JPEG serves those purposes ideally, and the limitation gives me additional boost to try my best when photographing knowing that space for adjustment is minimal.

03-15-2023, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jpeg with raw as backup, in most cases I use jpg only but revert sometimes to raw....
03-15-2023, 09:10 AM   #24
pid
Pentaxian

I would like to see aditional Compressed-RAW implemented to Pentax Cams
03-15-2023, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I mainly shoot RAW, but I'm one of the official photographers for an upcoming white water race at the end of March. There are typically over 200 boats in the race and I often shoot 0ver 800 photos. Those will definitely be jpegs.....
03-15-2023, 10:06 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I made a discovery this afternoon which you probably all already know about, but here it is anyway. I have the camera set to shoot RAW+ with smallest size JPGs for offloading to the phone via wifi. This is something I rarely do, but the storage is there so why not use it? I also have the camera set to zoom to 100% for focus confirmation. I did not know until today that the 100% is based on the JPG file, not the RAW. Apparently the review also shows the JPG file and not the RAW. This explains why zooming way in on some of my files were showing less than ideal results, whereas the RAW files on the computer were looking much better. Therefore, since I'm not going to offload full-size JPGs and since the instant review focus confirmation is much more important to me, I'd like to change my answer from RAW+JPG to just RAW.
03-15-2023, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raw DNG for me. Rare occasions Jpeg for just documenting items (in large number) for record that aren't critical and usually at lower resolution. It was a learning curve for me getting to shooting just Raw. At first just Jpeg, then Raw+ then finally Raw. The flexibility in post is so much greater and non destructive.

One time in Denali NP I inadvertently switched my white balance to tungsten while shooting Mt. Denali. The norm is for the mountain to be obscured by clouds which it was by the time I discovered my error. Because I was in Raw the WB was easily corrected in post from a horrible blue cast to a set of beautiful proper images. Not sure I could have saved them had they been Jpeg files. I doubt it.
Raw saves the day!
03-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RAW PEF, then I develop as TIFF files, in either DCU5 or Affinity. I convert to jpg's
for posting online, or emailing.
03-15-2023, 11:47 AM   #29

Raw PEF, always. Then processed with DxO PhotoLab.
03-15-2023, 02:20 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I also have the camera set to zoom to 100% for focus confirmation. I did not know until today that the 100% is based on the JPG file, not the RAW
Focus confirmation occurs before you have pressed the shutter button. RAW or JPEG settings cannot affect that.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Apparently the review also shows the JPG file and not the RAW
The review, whether it be instant, or a review of a recently captured image can only display a JPEG image*. RAW is a data file, not an image file. You can never actually look at a RAW image , because.... well, it does not exist.

Many folk actually recommend that you set your camera to AdobeRGB colour space so that the review image histogram will be more accurate, because AdobeRGB is a wider gamut than sRGB. It will not make any difference to the raw file itself, just the preview image and histogram.

* Something i am not sure about is this...if you set your camera to record TIFF will the preview and histogram be based on a TIFF or JPEG ? Again, the raw data will be unaffected but possibly the histogram will because TIFF is capable of 16 bit capture whereas JPEG is 8 ?

Last edited by pschlute; 03-15-2023 at 02:41 PM.