Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #1

New Rokinon 14mm F2.8 is stuck on my K1

New Rokinon 14mm F2.8 is stuck on my K1.
Anybody else?
Anybody have ideas about how to remove this lens?

Never mind. I took it off A mode and it easily came off.

Last edited by pschlute; 3 Days Ago at 05:12 PM. Reason: removed profanity
3 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to know.
3 Days Ago   #3

Original Poster
Don't know what made me consider the Aperture wheel but glad I did.

And I don't understand how having the Aperture set to A would cause the lens to get stuck.
Is this common?
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have never heard of this problem and can't see how it might work. Setting A on the aperture ring does not affect any mechanical components on the lens mount. Can you reproduce the problem by remounting the lens, setting to A then trying to remove?

3 Days Ago   #5

Original Poster
On A, something is blocking the lens from being removed but I dont know what it is. The pin lifts and you can turn the lens a little.

If you then turn the lens in the mounting direction you can hear the pin drop in.

You can mount the lens when it is set on A, but cant remve it until you take it off of A.

This lens is decentered in the lower left, so I think I will order a couple of more and select the best of the three.

Will check if the others to see if they do the same.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would carefully look over lens, something is not right.
3 Days Ago   #7

same with me

I had the same issue and I figured out the same way. All good that now we know how to unstick it

3 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

As you found out the Rokinon still has the small round pin that can cause that problem. In A mode it is set so as you found out by rotating it out of A mode allows the pin to float and release so it can be removed.
3 Days Ago   #9

I have the same camera-lens combo and have seen the same issue.
3 Days Ago   #10
Dan
Pentaxian

This is the second thread recently where someone had a problem with a Rokinon/Samyang getting stuck on their camera. Not everyone seems to understand how this can be related to the A setting on the lens, so here's my attempt at a quick explanation.

Starting with the introduction of the Ka mount in 1983 a series of electrical contacts were added to the camera mount. One of these contacts on the camera is slightly recessed. Take a look at the lens mount of any K-mount camera introduced in the past 40 years and you will see it! Most of the contacts are slightly raised above the camera mount, but there is that odd-man-out that is actually recessed. The sole purpose of that recessed contact is to allow the lens to communicate the following: "the attached lens has an aperture ring that is set to the A position". How does it do this? When the aperture ring on the lens is turned to the "A" setting a SMALL ROUNDED PIN is extended through a hole in the lens mount, and that pin makes contact with the recessed contact on the camera, thus signalling that the "A" position is now in use.

If all is well the pin is extended just slightly--just enough to contact the recessed contact on the camera. Moreover, the pin is rounded, and it is pushed into position by a spring (which can be compressed). As a result, you can twist the lens to remove it--even when the pin is extended--because the edge of the recess in the camera mount will contact the rounded part of the pin, which will cause the pin to compress the spring, and the pin will retract out of the way. A problem can occur if the pin cannot be not pushed out of the way for whatever reason. In this case you will have to retract the pin manually, which can be done by rotating the aperture ring away from the A position.

I realize that many of you already understood this. Hopefully this helps those for whom the issue is a bit of a mystery.

Dan

Last edited by Dan; 3 Days Ago at 01:37 PM. Reason: correction added
3 Days Ago   #11

Original Poster
I turned the aperture ring to A and found the rising contact, and now I understand. When extended it is springy, so I guess extends too far.
Thanks for the explanation.
3 Days Ago   #12
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tammons Quote
On A, something is blocking the lens from being removed but I dont know what it is. The pin lifts and you can turn the lens a little.

If you then turn the lens in the mounting direction you can hear the pin drop in.

You can mount the lens when it is set on A, but cant remve it until you take it off of A.

This lens is decentered in the lower left, so I think I will order a couple of more and select the best of the three.

Will check if the others to see if they do the same.
There is quite a bit of sample variation with the Rokinon 14mm, but if you try enough samples you should eventually find one that is both properly centered and that can be removed while in the A position. I got lucky with my copy. When you find a good one it's an excellent lens, both on APS-C and full frame, so I think that it's worth the effort. :-)
2 Days Ago   #13

Original Poster
I have owned one before. Yes, they are good.
However between Laowa, Rokinon, and one PK lens, I have gotten something like 7 lenses in a row that were decentered ending with this one. It is frustrating.
2 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

I have the lens from 3 years now and have never had this problem, be it in A or manual aperture. The only thing O can think of is the dreaded Ricoh pin. Is it possible that your copy has it? Can you please post a picture of the lens mount?
23 Hours Ago   #15
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
I have the lens from 3 years now and have never had this problem, be it in A or manual aperture. The only thing O can think of is the dreaded Ricoh pin. Is it possible that your copy has it? Can you please post a picture of the lens mount?
None of the Samyang/Rokinon lenses have the dreaded Ricoh pin, and even if they did you couldn't solve that problem by moving the aperture ring out of the A position. Both of the recent posters who had their Rikenon get stuck were able to free the lens by moving the aperture ring. That only works if the problem is as I described above.

This problem never happened to your lens because most copies of the lens do not suffer from this problem. It is a rare malfunction. It hasn't happened to any of my Samyang/Rikenon lenses either, and I have a lot of them!

Dan