Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
.....The most useful answer so far!!!...

Thanks for the answer, actually i was aligning my-self toward third-parity glass anyways... To be more specific, i'm planning to get the Sigma 100-300/4. as my main tool... plus some FE and really wide glass, but that's secondary...

Having had some limited experience with Nikon's D200/D300 and some VERY limited experience with the K20d, I really liked the overall speed of Nikons... But in all honesty, only using K20d body felt "just like home"... Controls are damn nice... No to mention the in-body SR... I guess I will wait for the K20d replacement to come out before making any "far-leading" decisions.

B.t.w. for a few days I had that exact combo, D300+70-200VR... That is one fine piece of glass... A bit expensive, though the used ones dropped significantly ever since the D700 came out...

Again, thanks a lot for your suggestions, really appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the clarification.
There are a few users on this site that shoot action sports (surfing, mountain biking/bmx, motorsport, and car racing) with Pentax. There is also a cadre of wildlife and bird photographers. There are also a few that do team sports such as American football. From what I have seen, they get pretty good (actually excellent) results.
Yeah, I spent my time of these guy's galleries and I was very impressed. To be perfectly hones I'm leaning more towards sticking with Pentax for good. Faster FPS would have been nice though, in sports it does matter. So again, I'll wait for the K20-s successor to come out and see what it has to offer. I still have a few months before our season starts, thus plenty of time to make up my mind and save up some cash...

01-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #17

Even with FF, APS-C will cont. on.

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Guys, keep the flames down... My topic wasn't about lenses, it's about K20's, thus today's Pentax top of the line body shooting speed capability...

AA-s? Well, personally I don't feel comfortable with proprietary batteries, wither it comes to my digital camera or an mp3-player... But that's me... I tend to put things in long perspective... For example I really don't feel like investing in DA-lenses, since the current trend is towards FF whether we want it or not... so eventually if Pentax wants to stay in business, they will have to move in... and all these fine pieces of DA and DA* glass will become... how to say it... useless? perhaps that's too harsh of a term... at lest these lenses will drop in value big time...

Sorry I didn't want to offend anybody by comparing el cheapo Nikon's 85/1.8 to our precious Limited... I'm after the 77Lim my-self to be honest... but again, this topic is not about lenses... And please, i've only brought it as an example...

I predict that even with a FF camera added to the line, that APS-C will cont. for many years because it is so practical. If you are a pro and can afford FF, you will still need a backup, which is what the APS-C would be very good at. So, a couple of cropped lenses may still be a good long-term investment.
01-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Switch

If I were shooting primarily sports, I would definitely switch.

These days you can find a very good user Canon 1D MkII N for less than $1,500. The AF is unmatched by anything under $4000. As well very good IQ, and high ISO.

Then you could get the fastest AF Canon lenses... 135mm F/2.0 and 70-200mm F/4 IS, and 400mm F/5.6 L and you'll be set.

Keep the Pentax for other things if you wish. A local photographer does exactly what I've said, and he is happy with the results.
01-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=cputeq;435197]Very true, but machine gunning shots is pretty much the best approach -- there's a reason the "top" cameras from N and C do a ridiculous amount of FPS.

I truly believe Machine gun approach is often used because it is a luxury to anybody who has time to sort out the keepers. Not every frame in that sequence are top notch, so in the end, the one who anticipate the action and knows what to look for in the shots will have an edge. Of course more shots equals more percentage of keepers but really, how many frames do we need and time to view and process all the shots.

01-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Forum Member

I've heard something about K20 incresed fps with battery grip. Something like 4,3fps. Can you confirm? It's not 8fps but improvement anyways.
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

... For example I really don't feel like investing in DA-lenses, since the current trend is towards FF whether we want it or not... so eventually if Pentax wants to stay in business, they will have to move in... and all these fine pieces of DA and DA* glass will become... how to say it... useless? perhaps that's too harsh of a term... at lest these lenses will drop in value big time...
If your goal is "keeping up with the Jones" and spending all your money so you have the latest gadget fad, then this statement makes sense. If your goal is finding a tool that will do the job, then this statement doesn't make any sense. I still use my *istDL which I've had for years even though it's out of date...it still does just what I bought it for. I don't care that it's not new. After all it's just a tool...and it still does what I bought it to do regardless of how technology has changed in the years since. Even if a technology came along tomorrow that made all digital cameras and lenses obsolete, my *istDL will still do the job I bought it to do and I will still be happy with it.

Buy the tool that does the job you want done, whether that's Pentax or C or N. That's all that's important. Chasing technology will only leave you broke and greatly disappointed. As was stated, there is no perfect system no matter what anyone says. And as was also stated, we all got along splendidly before the current AF technology was introduced.

Obsolescence is in the eye of th beholder. If your goal is finding a faster FPS camera, why worry about what will be? It is still today and FF is still not the norm, so no matter what you get, it will most likely be out of date when FF becomes the norm regardless of which system you buy.
01-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

For sports the D3 + Nikkor 2.8 glass is really hard to beat. The AF system is unbelievable but also has a learning curve.

Like nostatic mentioned, Mark Dimalanta shoots surf sports for a living and is considered one of the very best, and uses Pentax

Check out his Pentax page: PENTAXIAN.com | Inspirationalist Mark Dimalanta

I'm wondering though: (1) What kind of sports are you talking about and (2) what's your budget?

01-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Photographers decades ago were doing "serious" sports photography long before modern auto-focus, motor-drive, cameras with high-speed shutter mechanisms, so obviously something faster than the K10D/K20D, or any other so-called slow camera, is much more of a preference than a true necessity. And only you can decide whether a preference for pure speed is more important to you than any other factors.

stewart
Yeah, and before that people were shooting 4x5 press cameras. Doesn't mean progress is meaningless or that you have to limit yourself.

Heck, even back in '72 Nikon had a 35mm camera that shot 7 FPS... I think Canon had even higher. Even back in the "good old days" there was demand for it.
01-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
For sports the D3 + Nikkor 2.8 glass is really hard to beat. The AF system is unbelievable but also has a learning curve.

Like nostatic mentioned, Mark Dimalanta shoots surf sports for a living and is considered one of the very best, and uses Pentax

Check out his Pentax page: PENTAXIAN.com | Inspirationalist Mark Dimalanta

I'm wondering though: (1) What kind of sports are you talking about and (2) what's your budget?

Thanks for the suggestion, but i'm more of the hobbist than a big-magazine-paid pro... so the top of the line Nikon stuff is a bit out of my league...

Besides, I tend to spent way more time practicing the sport that i'm shooting rather than actually shooting it... It's kitesurf b.t.w....
01-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dan aron Quote
I've heard something about K20 incresed fps with battery grip. Something like 4,3fps. Can you confirm? It's not 8fps but improvement anyways.
YES, I know for a fact this to be true for me. The trick is to run the batteries in sync. AF speed is also quicker.
01-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
YES, I know for a fact this to be true for me. The trick is to run the batteries in sync. AF speed is also quicker.

Can you elaborate on running the batteries in sync? I don't have a K20D yet so I don't have access to the grip. Is this something that is detailed in the manual?
01-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Besides, I tend to spent way more time practicing the sport that i'm shooting rather than actually shooting it... It's kitesurf b.t.w....
Factor in the weather sealing, then. I'd say switch if you're wanting top sports shooting performance. I think the K20D is perfectly capable to get some nice shots with it (I've used it for a wide variety of things), but Nikon and Canon are optimized for that, and priced accordingly.
01-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #28
Inactive Account

K20D good for sports

Hi.i find the K20D good for sports.Use the fastest shutter speeds that work and plenty of practise once you get it rite it will be easier to get the shots u want.I use BIF to practise fast action,once you can get ducks etc sports is easy.Good luk
Thnx Paul
Attachment 25292

Attachment 25291

Attachment 25293

Attachment 25290

Attachment 25294

Last edited by trumpyman; 01-13-2009 at 03:21 PM.
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trumpyman Quote
Hi.i find the K20D good for sports.Use the fastest shutter speeds that work and plenty of practise once you get it rite it will be easier to get the shots u want.
This is the key, and what most people don't want to hear. In the car racing world, there is a saying. The Porsche 911 separated those who could drive from those who couldn't. The older (non-ABS, no TC, etc) cars are tail-happy, (mostly) underpowered handfuls. In order to drive them fast you had to know what you were doing. But patience, skill, and practice are rewarded with great results and a lot of grins. It was always great fun to pass guys with 300 or 400hp cars on the track in my '79 and have them come up and ask what I'm running. The reply, "172hp on a good day" usually had them mutter and walk away...

The point being I'd rather drive a slow car fast, and I'd rather work a little harder with a good tool that I like to get a good result. There is no doubt in my mind that one can compose, focus, expose, and create world-class photos with a K20d. No matter what the subject matter. It just takes practice and a willingness to learn the tool and work with it. If however you have your own notions about how something *should* work and fight the wrong tool then you're going to be disappointed.

Expectations are a pita...and for some a camera is just a camera. While I'm not necessarily saying that one should go shoot full manual with a film rangefinder (god knows I shoot auto in P almost all the time), each system has its own vibe and its own strengths and weaknesses. If you bond with something, then you're willing to put up with quirks. If you don't bond with anything but just want pure performance, then Pentax likely isn't going to serve you well. There is no better or worse approach...just different.
01-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I asked you before, can you elaborate on your claim?

Radu