Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 07:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luckyrabbit Quote
I want to take pictures of items for ebay, family, pets, outdoor shots, and night shots. Pretty vague I know.
Hi Lucky

If you check my gallery out - all the pics were taken in program mode (using either centre weighted/Evaluative metering) - all taken as Jpegs and tweaked with Nero Studio Express (using just their preset settings) with the K10D and the 18-55 kit.

The camera has been used by all the members of family sons age 12&21, daughter age 29 and wife in just plain p&s mode and and all have achieved great pics.

The K20D will be just as simple.

Your lens purchase will be definitely decided by budget - obviously by the best you can afford but I reckon the 18-55 and 55-200 (incredibly good value) are brilliant if you are on a strict budget and all you will ever need for a while.

If budget is not an issue then any combination of fixed primes, prime zooms will be fantastic!

D

12-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #17

I see no reason not to get the K20D. You'll grow into it in short order.
12-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
Inactive Account

The K20D is a great place to start You get a lot of bang for the bucks. One of the great things is the versatility of lenses available at great prices for Pentax. Learn to shoot manually, you will never regret it. Green mode is great for family snapshots, quick fast action events and such. Taking your photography to a creative level needs a practical knowlege of aperture,shutter speed and depth of field. The K20D can be the tool you use for all the levels from novice to pro. The knowlege of technique will help you to express your vision in the image. The digital SLR has been the greatest tool since Kodak developed roll film. You can take an endless number of images without concern for film or development costs, and you instantly know what the captured image looks like. Take your camera with you everywhere. Don't be afraid of people looking strangely as you take shots of seemingly un-interesting things. The camera is just a tool , the photographer makes the picture! Good Luck! Oh, I am very pleased with 16-45 DA it is affordable and can give you images from wide to normal.
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
. . . Whatever you do, dont get a damn superzoom, you may as well just stay in the point and shoot world.
Tell us how you really feel about super zooms!

12-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #20

If you really want to learn, k20d and 16...18-45...50 zoom lens (like pentax 16-45, sigma 18-50, tammy 17-50) will be a very good thing to start with. You'll get excellent viewfinder, tough weathersealed body, tons of manual controls, 2 control dials and lots more.
12-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The K20D is a great place to start, you will grow into it as your photography develops (no pun intended).

You can start off in the all green mode and changing the way you use the camera to suit the way and subjects you shoot with time.
12-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Luckyrabbit,
I think K200D is good for you to learn. But if you're a fast learner, I think K20D is not that difficult to learn. Also it will save you money if you go with K20D instead of K200D since you won't want to upgrade too soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
Luckyrabbit, I was in the EXACT same position as you - 10 years of p&s digitals, and went dSLR shopping.
I bought the K20D + 18-55mm kit lens for $699 at Adorama.com - haven't regretted it a single bit. Did have a few bad/hot pixels, but Adorama took care of that (sent replacement unit in 2 days), and I still am nothing but thrilled. I know i will not use it ANYWHERE near it's capability, but I know i can grow into it.

Call up Adorama.com, and MAYBE they will do the $699 for you - if they say no, get back to me, and I'll see if I can get someone to help you out. If you order and pay by end of day tomorrow, you can still get the additional 2yr warranty free from Pentax, making it 3 years warranty total. THAT expires tomorrow!

T
I called up Adorama this morning and they said they never sold K20D for $699 unless it's a used one or refurbished. And their current best price is $939.10 for body with kit lens.

T, do you know anybody that can help us here?

I'm actually thinking to buy the body only with no kit lens since I've got my own lenses.

Thanks,

12-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #23

I don't know who you spoke with, but mine was ordered 12/14 from Meyer Bloomberg (800-223-2500 x2258) for $699.99 including the 18-55 lens, and it isn't marked refurb anywhere, and the price was on their same SKU: IPXK20D on their webiste. Matter of fact, mine had a few bad pixels in a cluster, and they sent a replacement, which appears fine. I don't know what transpired, like maybe someone screwed up, but I got mine, and am thrilled with it! And no, they didn't remove the battery and sell it separately - everything was in the box as it should be. I know on Monday 12/15 the price went up to like $790 and change, dropped BACK to $699 for the rest of the day, and then went back to $790 and change on Tuesday 12/16. I PM'd you my order number and invoice number, if you want to call them back and have them pull it up.

As to body only, if they will honor the $699 for body+18-55, get it, and then sell the lens on fleaBay - $40-50 IS $40-50!

T
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't know who you spoke with, but mine was ordered 12/14 from Meyer Bloomberg (800-223-2500 x2258) for $699.99 including the 18-55 lens, and it isn't marked refurb anywhere, and the price was on their same SKU: IPXK20D on their webiste. Matter of fact, mine had a few bad pixels in a cluster, and they sent a replacement, which appears fine. I don't know what transpired, like maybe someone screwed up, but I got mine, and am thrilled with it! And no, they didn't remove the battery and sell it separately - everything was in the box as it should be. I know on Monday 12/15 the price went up to like $790 and change, dropped BACK to $699 for the rest of the day, and then went back to $790 and change on Tuesday 12/16. I PM'd you my order number and invoice number, if you want to call them back and have them pull it up.

As to body only, if they will honor the $699 for body+18-55, get it, and then sell the lens on fleaBay - $40-50 IS $40-50!

T
Well, I guess you were lucky.
Just spoke with Meyer and he said that they don't have that "Promotion" price anymore.
So I'll just wait then.
Thanks for your help!
12-31-2008, 01:47 PM   #25

I haven't even been able to reach him - goes straight to VM.

I PM'd you that maybe proDigital2000 on eBay would be a second choice (around $620-650 body-only), however they are in Canada. Does Pentax US honor warranties on cameras purchased from Canadian dealers?

T
12-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #26

Original Poster
So my gut (and most of you) tells me to get the k20. I haven't held one yet, so to be sure I decided to go to the camera store and check it out. No pentax cameras. I went to a few electronic stores and a specialty camera store. Nothing. Plenty of canon and nikon. The d90 felt to fragile for me. The 50d felt more solid. Despite the lack of pentax cameras, I remain convinced I want the k20.

Last edited by luckyrabbit; 12-31-2008 at 08:42 PM.
01-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #27

Lucky, now I myself cannot comment, but I think others on here have had luck with getting K20D's from prodigital2000 on eBay. But my question, is because it is coming from Canada, is the warranty valid in the US, even for 1 year, instead of 2 (2yrs std in Canada).

Herman - I'm waiting to hear back and see what Helen says. She is a CSR at Adorama, and was VERY helpful in getting my K20D switched out. It had some nasty hot/bad pixels in a cluster right in the center. The replacement unit tested out A-OK! I'm a happy camper! Did you happen to call back, and give them my order number to look at? i dunno - maybe it was a special. When I looked on 12/13, the K20D kit (IPXK20DK) was $699.99, which was the kit. When I called in the Order on Sunday 12/14, Meyer took the order, for the K20D, 18-55 lens, M42 adapter, and generic battery, totalling like $731 or so. When he emailed the invoice, the lens was not ON the invoice, just the IPXK20D, which is body-only. I emailed back, and 30 minutes later (about 25 minutes after closing) Meyer sent an updated invoice, showing the IPXK20D body-only kit at $699.99, and the DA 18-55 AL II lens at $0.00, plus the M42 adapter and generic battery. This is what they will see on my order if they pull it up.

T
01-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #28

There are DSLR cameras with scene modes. They're designed for people who want convenient and easy-to-use cameras with interchangable lenses.

Then there are cameras like the K20d which are for people who like the process as much as the results.

Sometimes I will take photos that have no potential but represent a difficult lighting situation and I can learn from it. A friend of mine thinks that foolish.

So, if you want family photos and vacation photos for memories, get a more simple, and cheaper, camera and put your money into a few good lenses. If you want to learn about the mechanics of photography, get the K20d.
01-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Lucky, now I myself cannot comment, but I think others on here have had luck with getting K20D's from prodigital2000 on eBay. But my question, is because it is coming from Canada, is the warranty valid in the US, even for 1 year, instead of 2 (2yrs std in Canada).
If you send it to Canada for repairs you will get your 2yr warranty...how intricate this gets I'm not sure. Do you send it to prodigital who sends it to Pentax Canada or can you send it to Pentax Canada direct?
01-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AS of this morning BH has the K20d body for $749 shipped or a kit with the DA 16-45mm for $999 shipped. KEH in Atlanta has a LN- body for $645.