Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #31
Inactive Account

It's not too much camera if you're willing to put in the time to learn all of it's intricacies. The K200D has a very similar menu and options system, so really learning one is like learning the other, except that with the K20D you get that 14.6 CMOS sensor that seems to outshine just about everything in the class, the double-dial system for changing settings, and more customizable settings and functions that you can grow into. I find my K200D a competent little camera, but the K20D would have given me that little bit more to grow into.

01-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #32

BuyDig.com (resellerratings.com rated at 8.0+ out of 10 both 6mos and lifetime) has the k20D body-only for $727, but they also include a 4GB SD card, Pentax Gadget bag, and Pentax extended warranty for free.
linkage here. For info on the promotion, just below the "add to cart" button, click on "Rebates and Promotions" and you'll see the freebies. The warranty extension is a genuine Pentax 2YR add-on, normally $40, so that's cool. The bag shows as an OEM Pentax bag, $25 "value," and the 4GB card is a Dane-Elec card. Not too bad - I've owned worse!

Whatever you do, please do RESEARCH the vendors - don't get suckered into something, because as the saying goes, when it's too good to be true, it usually is. Use resellerratings to find info and ratings on stores. They are decent, and I think they require proof of purchase before posting a review. I don't know WHAT the deal with Adorama was, but there was no way I was turning it down, due to their reputation. Ignore the US1photo's, the topchoicedigital's, the fotoconnection.com's, etc...They just lure you in, and play tricks like not including the battery, or charger, or something.

T

Last edited by Sharkonwheels; 01-03-2009 at 01:53 AM.
01-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 699.00 price from Adorama was for real for the K20 kit with 18/55 lense. However it was only on for 4 or 5 days, then price jump. That was earlier part of December. Now same kit is like 935.00. These were not Refurbished but brand new out of the box. My first photo was #00001.
As to what DSlr one starts with is irrelevent, because the learning curve is the same. Slr's Shooters have the edge over the P&S Shooters because the should already understand The basic rules of photography. My thinking is to go with the best that you can afford, because the operations of the camera is basically same regardless if it is the ist DL to the K20 if you are starting from scratch. My first DSlr was a K100 new, Second a K10, used, Third IstDL, used and now the K20, new. With the K100 I did a lot of reading the manuas because I have a lot og old lensed from film days. So it was somewhat challanging. With the K10 no sweat. Confirmed a couple things from the manual, but was pretty much ready to go from start. Same with the K20. Couple things during set up needed manual, but still ready to go from start. istDL, Going backward, Heck of a lot of manual time. By the way I still have all of these Cameras and use each one for different purposes The ist, IMOP with Bellows is one of the best macro setup on the market and yet it will take super photo's with the BIG MA on it.
Start where you want and read the Manual. Magic Lantern for your camera is probably the best $20. you can spend. jim
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #34

Absolutely Not!

I started about 6 months ago with a K100D, and a kit lens, and a 50-200, within a couple of months I jumped to the K10D. The jump allowed me easier access to settings and adjustments that are in the menu of the K100D. I found this to be a good move for me as it allowed me to experiment more easily thereby easing the photography learning curve.

01-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #35
Forum Member

well i was in a similar situation ... bought a k20d at an amazing price as my first foray into DSLR after a one month stint with Canon rebel xt... but later sold off the k20d for a k200d... my concerns were..

1) As a hobbyist photographer i dont need 14mp since all files are huge and i mainly simply store my pics on a 60gb laptop... it is going to take space..
PN: It can also be used as 6MP or 10MP camera though...

2) Changing the settings for each shot was difficult as it would take a bit of time and the moment might just pass... especially considering i was still at a learning stage... and thus preferred with some auto presets like portraits, macros etc.. atleast u cud try them when other preferred settings dont work well..

3) Decided to master the art of photography b4 buying an expensive model.. cos by the time i learn a bit... a better model might come up.. .

4) Also didnt really like the live view ... and thought wouldnt use it much.. i hope pentax brings out a swivel lcd screen...

said so... i already miss some features which are there on the k20d like the ability to have independent settings for each mode saved etc... i guess it is there.. + i read it remembers the lens setting as well.... so u dont need to change things while playing around with lenses...

well at the end of the day... i guess what matters is ur purpose ..

gud luk..
01-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I am a novice so I qualify to give my comments

I would think had I have the money 2 years ago (when i first venture into DSLR land), I would go for the k10D instead of my current k100D. After 2 years of using k100D, I am beginning to find that the k10D/k20D/k30D is a better machine.

So if money is not a major concern, I would suggest even a novice take on the k20D/k30D.