Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #1

K20 to much for a novice?

I have only used point and shoot cameras my whole life and want to get into dlsr cameras. I have looked at nikon and canon, but have settled on pentax. My question concerns the k20, is it to much camera for me? Should I get the k200 instead?

12-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Certainly it isn't too much camera. It doesn't have any of those weird scene modes or anything, which affords you the opportunity to really learn how to use it. And you can always set it to P if you feel like a little more automation...
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
The k20 I plan on getting doesn't have a lens. What should I get as a started lens? Nothing special, just to learn with.
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depends on what you want to shoot - a good all around lens should cover what you will shoot the most. Many think the kit lens is fine, then step up to a longer zoom. Your budget will have a lot to do with this.

You can even go all manual there - you can buy 30 year old lenses and truly go all manual.

Good stuff!

Last edited by George Lama; 12-30-2008 at 08:23 PM.
12-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K200D is a good place to start. I started out in 2007 with the K100D a Tamron 18-250mm and the 43mm ltd. Although I've upgraded to the K20D and added several (understatement of the year) lenses, I think I might have been overwhelmed had I jumped in with the the K10D right off the bat. The Tamron (or the Pentax equivalent) is a good (certainly not great) lens which covers an extended focal length range. A fast prime like the FA 50mm f/1.4 would also be a good choice.
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would get the FA50 f/1.4, start out with a fast affordable and excellent prime lens. If that is too much $$ then go manual instead. Learn composition as well as how to use your camera. And from there grow your lens kit. If you wanna go zoom, then the kit lens is a great option of the DA16-45mm F4. Whatever you do, dont get a damn superzoom, you may as well just stay in the point and shoot world.
12-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luckyrabbit Quote
The k20 I plan on getting doesn't have a lens. What should I get as a started lens? Nothing special, just to learn with.
Depends on what you shoot the most. Tell us what you like taking photos of and how often you want to switch lenses...

A 50 prime is too long a lens for the only lens...you'd get frustrated indoors...

ken
12-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
I want to take pictures of items for ebay, family, pets, outdoor shots, and night shots. Pretty vague I know.

12-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I want to take pictures of items for ebay, family, pets, outdoor shots, and night shots. Pretty vague I know.
I would go with the K20d over the K200d. I think it is worth the money, and find the "scenes" on the K200d a complete waste. You can shoot full auto on the K20d without any problem and it has a better UI imho. For a newbie being able to easily change the metering is important, and on the K20d it is a lever on the top, not inside a menu.

As for lens, 16-45 is a great lens that you won't regret having and won't have to make excuses for. The kit lens is OK, but for the extra $200 or so, the 16-45 is a keeper. Sadly the price on the K20d seems to have just jumped...last week you could get the K20d and 16-45 for under $1K.
12-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Cameta Camera still shows stock for the previous version of the Sigma 18-50 constant f2.8 for $279. (The newer version has "macro", for about $100 more.) I can get 5 keyboard keys in the shot with the old version which is close enough for me.
12-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #11

Luckyrabbit, I was in the EXACT same position as you - 10 years of p&s digitals, and went dSLR shopping.
I bought the K20D + 18-55mm kit lens for $699 at Adorama.com - haven't regretted it a single bit. Did have a few bad/hot pixels, but Adorama took care of that (sent replacement unit in 2 days), and I still am nothing but thrilled. I know i will not use it ANYWHERE near it's capability, but I know i can grow into it.

Call up Adorama.com, and MAYBE they will do the $699 for you - if they say no, get back to me, and I'll see if I can get someone to help you out. If you order and pay by end of day tomorrow, you can still get the additional 2yr warranty free from Pentax, making it 3 years warranty total. THAT expires tomorrow!

T
12-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
luckyrabbit K20 to much for a novice?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have only used point and shoot cameras my whole life and want to get into dlsr cameras. I have looked at nikon and canon, but have settled on pentax. My question concerns the k20, is it to much camera for me? Should I get the k200 instead?
Luckyrabbit: Go with the K20d--it is at a fantastic price and a fantastic camera. You will grow into it, so long as you are willing and want to learn. If you want to step into the world of DSLRs, you want to do it right. The concepts of manually taking great pictures is the same with the K20 as it is with the K200. As you grow, you'll be even happier with your choice of the K20 because the subtle nuances it offers the shooter will be better understood by you then.

You may struggle a bit for a while, but the success which comes with actually creating your own pictures is an "oh what a feeling."

I bought the K20d when it came out, paying in the $1200 range, without a lens. I am happier now about the purchase than I was then--you will be too in 9 months.
12-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #13

I don't think it is too much of a camera...it really only allows you to grow more as a photographer as it's great learning experience coming across all the different features and settings you can alter to produce great looking images. I started with the k10d in 2007 never using anything beyond a P&S...didn't have a clue what I was doing when I first started but it's been a really fun time learning everything.
12-31-2008, 06:05 AM   #14

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
The k20d is my first DSLR as well, I steped up from the Fuji Finepix S5600, (first camera).
The k20d caused no problems for me, I found it easy to use, found the manual easy to
read and understand and had no problems working out the menu and setting.
I don't use all functions at the moment but I will try all the different funcions in time.
A good starter lens is the Sigma 17-70, f2.8-4.5 lens. It has a reasonably zoom range for
your needs and has pretty good quality for images. It can also focus to 20cm throughout
the entire zoom range. It doesn't cost a fortune ever.
12-31-2008, 06:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sounds like you'd need the wide end, so I'd definitely *not* suggest a 50 prime.

I'd second the recommendation for a Sigma 17-70. It's long enough that you won't need to take it off much.
You can also get constant 2.8 in the 17-50 range (Tamron, Pentax, or Sigma) if you want better image quality...the Pentax is weathersealed and the Tamron is probably best bang for buck in that range. I find I do miss the 50-70 range a bit though...