Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Couple of samples I took about an hour and a half ago with the 55-300. Great color (natural setting) and contrast, wonderful tones. Impressive, but realistic image quality, and I like real.

12-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Welcome to Pentax lenses and their achilles heel.
Some Pentax lenses. Ironically, CA with the 18-55 kit is pretty well-controlled!

Steve
12-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Thanks for the initial impression, Carl. One thing that you may not have found yet that took me a while to stumble upon (yes, I hate reading manuals as well): holding the OK button in while turning the front e-dial will change the ISO in most shooting modes. Really helps for certain situations. The K20D is feature rich and capable.

Jack

Better yet, you can actually go into the custom settings and specify how you want the front and back dials to work depending on the setting you are in AV/TV/P/M etc.

For example, when I am in in either AV or TV mode, I like the rear dial to adjust AV OR TV and the front dial in both cases to adjust ISO.

Then I have the LCD and viewfinder info to show ISO rather than the default recordable images. In this case, you use the OK button to switch from ISO to recordable images.

The customization is incredible!
12-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Couple of samples I took about an hour and a half ago with the 55-300. Great color (natural setting) and contrast, wonderful tones. Impressive, but realistic image quality, and I like real.
Again, welcome to Pentax lenses, especially the DA lenses. I find the DA colour just about perfect and the lenses have "punch" even if not all that sharp. The 50-200 wins no awards for resoultion tests but colur and contrast is first rate. The 55-300 is a real winner for what it is but please charge me $100 more and put an AF motor in it, it is sooooo sloooowwwwwww and squeals like a pig.

01-01-2009, 02:53 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
For example, when I am in in either AV or TV mode, I like the rear dial to adjust AV OR TV and the front dial in both cases to adjust ISO.
I wish there was another dial so I could easily change ISO in manual mode.
01-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Carl, do you plan to pick up any old MF lenses and give them a try? The Super Takumar line was an excellent group of lenses - some of those are astounding and can be acquired for a song.

Also, the K/M/A lenses can be wonderful. One of the biggest reasons I'm with Pentax is because of the fun that can be had trying and owning these old lenses.

It might be an economical way to supplement your arsenal, even if they aren't used as your 'main' lenses because of the lack of AF or 'A' setting.

01-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Carl, do you plan to pick up any old MF lenses and give them a try? The Super Takumar line was an excellent group of lenses - some of those are astounding and can be acquired for a song.

Also, the K/M/A lenses can be wonderful. One of the biggest reasons I'm with Pentax is because of the fun that can be had trying and owning these old lenses.

It might be an economical way to supplement your arsenal, even if they aren't used as your 'main' lenses because of the lack of AF or 'A' setting.

Right now I am doing my homework on the lenses. The Voightlanders have my attention at the moment. As I shoot with the camera more, I'm sure my lens requirements will continue to build, but we shall see. Thanks for the tip on the Super Takumar line. Most likely Ill want some really light primes for landscape use.

Carl
01-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #38
m8o
Veteran Member

Right now I am doing my homework on the lenses. The Voightlanders have my attention at the moment. As I shoot with the camera more, I'm sure my lens requirements will continue to build, but we shall see. Thanks for the tip on the Super Takumar line. Most likely Ill want some really light primes for landscape use.
I love my VL 125/2.5! No, I'm not interested in selling it.

Just as an FYI... I personally am biased to "A" lenses, giving me a meter bar reading in the viewfinder in M mode. I only bought one K lens so far, a Cosina 50/1.2. Unless I feel like using the Sunny-16 rule and doing exposure math in my head based on my 'assumed' EV level of my scene, you have to use the Green button to meter (with no active feedback for an adjustment if I re-compose a bit), and I personally don't enjoy using it nearly as much as my Pentax-A 50/1.4. That's sort of swore me off Super Taks. Not speaking disparagingly about them at all (that would be social suicide ); just not something I enjoy using as much as the A lenses. so just an 'fyi' regarding them. Ironic in being able to use that great old glass is one of the unique advantages in using Pentax.

01-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #39
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
I wish there was another dial so I could easily change ISO in manual mode.
Pressing OK while dialing isn't OK for U?

When I first started using the K10D, I found the unique TAv mode to be my most used mode.
01-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #40

Original Poster
So far, I really like the 55-300, it behaves well and is very consistent. Of the color settings on the K20D, I like natural the most so far, very believable colors (working from my laptop here so I hope they are accurate for contrast and , it is calibrated) but I will continue to play round with them.

Here's a shot I took today in Laguna (overcast day, Auto WB did a good job too).

01-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #41

Original Poster
Here is another shot, just a tad of cropping and levels adjustment. The K20 meters well on reds from what I can tell so far, and the natural color setting seems to keep that red channel in check (very easy to blow out the red channel).

01-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Running through some early shots I took a peek at this one (having forgot what ISO I used), honestly thought it was an ISO 400 image. Impressive.

ISO 6400 doesn't look good at all but I rarely even go as high as 1600 so I really could care less.
Carl, you may find, that the image quality of the K20 holds up very well up to ISO 1000. After that it starts to degrade, but is still very acceptable at ISO 1600 to me and useable at ISO 3200. ISO 6400 is only useful, if you need a shot for some documentary purpose. It is nice to have the option, anyway.

Otherwise I find your first impressions quite interesting, in so far, as they are widely comparable to my own experiences, though I have bee a Pentax user for the last nearly three decades...

Ben
01-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Carl
Considering, that you bought into the Pentax system for landscape pohotography mainly, you might find the Voigtländer Apo Lanthar close-focus lenses very appealing. I use the 180/4 Apo Lanthar and is simply superb in every single aspect. The only small niggle, being, that the focus thread is a bit on the tighter side. But this is also a matter of personal preference. For a lens of that focal length and speed it is very small, despite having nicely engineered all metal barrels.

Ben
01-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Carl, you may find, that the image quality of the K20 holds up very well up to ISO 1000. After that it starts to degrade, but is still very acceptable at ISO 1600 to me and useable at ISO 3200. ISO 6400 is only useful, if you need a shot for some documentary purpose. It is nice to have the option, anyway.

Otherwise I find your first impressions quite interesting, in so far, as they are widely comparable to my own experiences, though I have bee a Pentax user for the last nearly three decades...

Ben
Well it is certainly good to know our impressions are comparable given you have 25 years more experience than me with Pentax .

In general I agree with your comments on image quality. It does however depend on the application you are using the ISO for I think and whether or not the extra noise and less DR aren't an issue at all. I don't think I'll be using 6400 at all, I can see why it is an expanded option.

Carl
01-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #45

Original Poster
Got my first Osprey today on the way home, quite a bit of distance away so I had to max out the 55-300, shot at f8. This is a massive crop processed from a Raw file (in 8bit jpeg output for web). The original tiff has better color but this isn't bad considering the huge crop from the image. The 55-300 resolves good enough, get close enough and it is capable of remarkably sharp images.

Carl