Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Last Page image from "Diva"

Here is the last image from the "Diva" series. The AD will add his own font for the "VA"

http://anashcreation.com/thenashgallery/BenjaminKanarek/ClosingTempWeb?full=1

Last edited by benjikan; 04-15-2007 at 06:10 AM.
03-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great shots Ben; once again you make us work that much harder in order to try and catch up to your excellence. I'm on a mission now to try some model photography here in the next month, just need to find a female gorgeous enough, but willing is actually the word I should have used lol.
03-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The one thing I envy most

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Here is the last image from the "Diva" series. The AD will add his own font for the "VA"
is the fact you get to work with real pros - makeup, models, studios etc. Of course, it puts more pressure on you, but it must be a real joy to work with folks who know what you need.....

But what strikes me about your work is how well the models collude with your vision to achieve the end result. Taking portraits of normal folk can be deeply challenging because they have no such awareness (and frequently need a lot more PP work to get the skin looking half decent....

I plan to hire some models in a few weeks for a practise portfolio shoot, but its an expensive learning experience for me. I'd love to assist a pro for free for a while - think I'd learn a lot more a lot faster. If you ever have a vacancy let me know

(yes dont worry I'm joking, last thing you need is a clueless numbnuts getting in the way...)
03-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Models..

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
is the fact you get to work with real pros - makeup, models, studios etc. Of course, it puts more pressure on you, but it must be a real joy to work with folks who know what you need.....

But what strikes me about your work is how well the models collude with your vision to achieve the end result. Taking portraits of normal folk can be deeply challenging because they have no such awareness (and frequently need a lot more PP work to get the skin looking half decent....

I plan to hire some models in a few weeks for a practise portfolio shoot, but its an expensive learning experience for me. I'd love to assist a pro for free for a while - think I'd learn a lot more a lot faster. If you ever have a vacancy let me know

(yes dont worry I'm joking, last thing you need is a clueless numbnuts getting in the way...)
The models I work with have to be good actors and actresses as well....

03-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The models I work with have to be good actors and actresses as well....
Yes, it's another world entirely.

Steve,
Sometimes it's useful to contact theatre/film making/performing etc. groups in your area to make contact with folk who want to be photographed.
As salaries in the "off Broadway" environment are, at best, somewhat marginal, you may get a pleasant surprise at the number of volunteers that you'll get on a "swap for pix" basis.
Just be up front and honest with your circumstances and explain, without embarrassment, what it is that you are trying to achieve.
Naturally, a bit of a portfolio on related topics that you've done recently is always useful.
You don't have to be fancy, but, since many in that industry have been repeatedly scammed, you do have to build a bit of a reputation for fair dealing.
If you say that you are going to do something, make every possible effort to do it. That way you'll eventually get the same in return from those who are genuinely worth working with.
Sure, you'll get 'knocked back' quite often initially, but nothing beats persistence and that's a quality that many in the thespian world know and appreciate greatly.
Go for it !!
03-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #6

OK, Ben, point made. A model that doesn't look hostile and/or mean.

But I still find that the style these days tends to be really edgy, not a lot of happy smiling types (except for ads with people using something that they want you to buy).
03-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fashion is Fashion

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
OK, Ben, point made. A model that doesn't look hostile and/or mean.

But I still find that the style these days tends to be really edgy, not a lot of happy smiling types (except for ads with people using something that they want you to buy).
Well you know, in one day, out the next. Fashion changes like the wind. Perhaps next year everyone will be smiling from ear to ear...Who ever sets the trend will influence all that will follow.
03-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good advice

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
Yes, it's another world entirely.

Steve,
Sometimes it's useful to contact theatre/film making/performing etc. groups in your area to make contact with folk who want to be photographed.
As salaries in the "off Broadway" environment are, at best, somewhat marginal, you may get a pleasant surprise at the number of volunteers that you'll get on a "swap for pix" basis.
Just be up front and honest with your circumstances and explain, without embarrassment, what it is that you are trying to achieve.
Naturally, a bit of a portfolio on related topics that you've done recently is always useful.
You don't have to be fancy, but, since many in that industry have been repeatedly scammed, you do have to build a bit of a reputation for fair dealing.
If you say that you are going to do something, make every possible effort to do it. That way you'll eventually get the same in return from those who are genuinely worth working with.
Sure, you'll get 'knocked back' quite often initially, but nothing beats persistence and that's a quality that many in the thespian world know and appreciate greatly.
Go for it !!
I have a few friends in the West End. The problem is not finding people to be photographed but finding people who understand the format and who have the right look. I have used one professional model a few months back and it was a breeze but there were three photogs in a classroom format and I had no opportunity to get creative. Actresses are too worried about how they look...

03-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben

why not start posting your photos in our photo gallery instead of here like the rest of us?
your photos might be a cut above ours, but we all pentax photographers without separting pros from us little amatures

just an idea, might go a long way helping people perceive you are one of us, not a cut above.

no ill intentions, just a suggestion

thanks

randy
03-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Isn't there a website called ModelMayhem that gets photogs and models together on a time for pics basis? I've never looked into it but have heard other people talking about it.