Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2023, 07:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K-3 III is a really nice camera. I understand that there those out there that will never purchase a camera without a flippy screen and that the work arounds for it don't work for them, but it really is one of the nicest APS-C cameras available right now. It has excellent ergonomics, a nice viewfinder, and solid auto focus.

I have been pleased with it and generally can see the live view screen from different angles without lying down. It does have a touch screen on the back which makes selecting the autofocus point when shooting in live view very smooth --easier than some other Pentax cameras that have flippy screens.

(Not trying to talk anyone into a K-3 III, just sharing my experience).
I have a difficult time imagining being able to choose a focus point on the back screen while the K3mk.3 is either high above or close to the ground without a movable screen, but maybe I need to try this out with a camera in hand?

Last edited by mtgmansf; 03-30-2023 at 07:28 AM.
03-30-2023, 08:13 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
I have a difficult time imagining being able to choose a focus point on the back screen while the K3mk.3 is either high above or close to the ground without a movable screen, but maybe I need to try this out with a camera in hand?
You simply touch the spot with your index finger and the focus point moves. Obviously you have to be able to reach the screen with your forefinger, but it isn't as hard as it sounds. With any other Pentax camera you need to be able to access the four-way controller buttons and press them to get the focus point to move around.
03-31-2023, 08:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
My dream is they rapidly discontinue the K-3 Mark III and come with an updated KP (so you get your flippy screen). I bought a KP because it was a great offer when Ricoh cleared their stock. I do not like flippy screens. The one on the KP is luckily one of the better options but a tilting screen like the one on the K-70 is horrible, because it is not situated under the viewfinder and when opened is left of the camera, which is not pleasant when the subject is in front of you and to look at the screen you must look to the left. And flippy screens do not belong to the idea of a great camera with a great viewfinder, because the K-3 III is all about the experience of the looking through a great viewfinder. So I would suggest that on the new camera liveview and video are omitted and just like the K10d/Samsung GX10 the back lcd is just for reviewing the image and to access the menu's. But it must have all the great features of the KP without, as I stated, flippy screen, video and LiveView. As I stated somewhere in another thread I like a digital Super A with all the stills advantages of the KP!
As Thom Hogan often points out - and he seems to know more about manufacturing than most , camera manufacturers have to make a pretty sizable and expensive commitment when it comes to deploying a new sensor, so I think there would be plenty of room for minimalist, or non-video new KP you desire. On the other hand, there could also be room for a K3IIIs, K3IV or special edition with all the features I am seeking, on top of the current K3mk.III and a new KPII. Sadly, because of the sensor order issue - if Hogan is correct, we have assume to believe that a K1mk.3 will probably never see the light of the day as a low-volumn camera...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 03-31-2023 at 09:10 AM.
03-31-2023, 09:48 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if Hogan is correct, we have assume to believe that a K1mk.3 will probably never see the light of the day as a low-volumn camera...
I'm more than happy to believe he is wrong in this matter.

03-31-2023, 09:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As Thom Hogan often points out - and he seems to know more about manufacturing than most , camera manufacturers have to make a pretty sizable and expensive commitment when it comes to deploying a new sensor, so I think there would be plenty of room for minimalist, or non-video new KP you desire. On the other hand, there could also be room for a K3IIIs, K3IV or special edition with all the features I am seeking, on top of the current K3mk.III and a new KPII. Sadly, because of the sensor order issue - if Hogan is correct, we have assume to believe that a K1mk.3 will probably never see the light of the day as a low-volumn camera...
There is nothing wrong with wanting a new version of the K-3 III. Pentax will probably come out with one down the road.

I do think that making changes to the body, like adding a flip screen -- particularly one that includes a touch screen -- is more than a minor update. It's like taking your vehicle to the dealership and telling them that you want them to make it a convertible. It really will take a completely new body design to get it to work.
03-31-2023, 11:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I'm more than happy to believe he is wrong in this matter.
Me too!

---------- Post added 03-31-23 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There is nothing wrong with wanting a new version of the K-3 III. Pentax will probably come out with one down the road.

I do think that making changes to the body, like adding a flip screen -- particularly one that includes a touch screen -- is more than a minor update. It's like taking your vehicle to the dealership and telling them that you want them to make it a convertible. It really will take a completely new body design to get it to work.
Certainly would appreciate additional features like a higher res back screen, faster frame rates, focus shift in-camera, higher res sensor, etc., but that is why I call for a new model as a K3IIIs or Special Edition instead a full-on K3mk.IV. Maybe a KPmk.2 makes more sense, but I personally do not like the small form factor due to large hands which keeps the battery grip on my KP at all times, so that my pinkie finger is not off the bottom. Anyway, as Fuji has shown us, there are many ways to slice and dice the same sensor on several different aps-c models and MF cameras.
04-01-2023, 01:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax better get going on perfecting all these new features before I buy my next DSLR in 2032. But 12fps of the current model scares me.

I just read an obituary of Virginia Norwood, who pushed NASA to use a 13fps system on the first Landsat satellite in 1972.