Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2023, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

A K-3 II does not offer a built-in flash, if this is something you often use, but in its place it has a built-in GPS.
I had the choice of buying a K3 or a K3 ii and chose the latter because I find it invaluable to have GPS location data and compass orientation saved in the EXIF data. It's very useful to be able to, for example, quickly locate all photos taken in Chester. I always leave the GPS activated but discovered that, even when the camera is switched off, the battery slowly drains. If I'm not going to use the camera for a while, I remove the battery and store it in one of these...

Professional Water-Resistant Battery Storage Case & 1 SD + 2 MSD Slots Memory Card Holder for Canon Nikon Sony Fujifilm Fuji X-T100 X100F X-Pro2 HS50EXR X-T3 X-T20 & Battery ? 56 x 38 x 21mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Alternatively, of course, you could just switch the GPS off - provided you'll always remember to reactivate it!

As to the lack of flash, for not much money you can buy a Pentax-specific hot-shoe flash.

04-01-2023, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last year I sold my K-3 II with over 150k shutter actuations. It's a great body, felt like it would last forever.

Go out and have fun shooting, I would not be surprised at all if it lasted to 500,000 actuations.
04-01-2023, 12:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
Hopefully, you still have a few beautiful years ahead with it.If you can't return it, use it (I know I liked mine very much) and enjoy each shooting day as if it was the last
Thanks!
I can't return it, I bought it online from private owner and I could only return it if there was something wrong with it. And i think this body is unsellable because of its "mileage" so my plan is to keep it.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I think you're worrying way too much. I do lenses reviews here and elsewhere, my cameras probably have crazy shutter counts. My K-3 from 9 years ago has been used through and through and is still working perfectly fine.Your camera seems to be well maintained, taken care of, it should be fine. And for the record, a camera with a much lower shutter count COULD fail. I'd be much more worried if it was beaten up.
"I worry too much" is my second name 😅 Thanks for your reassuring words, however it will take some time before I will get rid of the "It can break down at any time" mindset 😅

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
If you were able to purchase the camera for a good price, go out and use it and don't worry. It's a very beautiful camera. You're in a better position than many because you have two backup bodies should your new one fail. I hope it's a great camera for you which lasts a long time.
Your answer made me ask myself "do i really need THREE Pentax bodies?"🤣

---------- Post added 04-01-23 at 01:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
The body looks great for a such a high shutter count
And that led me into this "trap" 😅 Considering how good this body looked, I didn't expect more "mileage" than, let's say, 60-70K.

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Your K5 has 43k shutter count according your posted pics exif , after x years (since 2011?) , so the K3 can still support many years at this rate, I guess...
That's correct, my K5 has just over 43K shutter clicks. I bought it used almost 2 years ago with 39K shutter count.

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
I put over 200,000 on my K3 bought a new K3 III and gave the original K3 to my son he is still using it two years on . You may well get many years out of your new K3 II
WOW, so good to hear it! That's impressive result, and it gives my hope to use my K3 for years to come 💪 Of course, I realize that there are no guarantees and it's a lottery, but still...

I know about the rich colors the K20D can provide. However, one can also make adjustments in the Custom Image menus, or in post processing with the K-3 II to increase color saturation or in other aspects of the color palette. But image colors from the K-3 II might be more accurate as is. In all other respects the K-3 II is the more capable camera.
I didn't know that K20D colors was a thing...I only heard that CCD sensor from K10D produces beautiful colors. However, this does not surprise me, I love the colors from K20D, and I made color adjustments in my K-5, but it wasn't quite the same...
04-01-2023, 02:05 PM   #19

Original Poster
You might very well be able to find another K-3 II with far less usage, and in comparably fine condition, but it will likley cost more.
The thing is, that I wouldn't buy this K3II if it would have cost more, actually I wasn't planning on buying a K3 at all - it was quick, spontaneous decision 😅

I hope you got it real cheap
Define "real cheap" 😜
I realize that for most of You this may by not a good price at all, but please take into account that in Poland we have a significantly smaller market compared to, for example, the USA, UK or Canada, and the Pentax brand is a niche, so the prices tend to be higher than in large markets (and the recent high inflation doesn't help either). Sample of prices for reference:

New K-3III - around 8000PLN = 1853 USD/1 705 EUR
Used K3 (the first one) - usually more than 2000PLN = 463 USD/426EUR
2 years ago I bought K-5 for 729 PLN = 192 USD/160 EUR back then.

---------- Post added 04-01-23 at 02:12 PM ----------

I hope you got it real cheap.
I completely forgot to add this - I paid 1444PLN for this body = 334 USD/307 Euro.

04-01-2023, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by merceflower Quote
The thing is, that I wouldn't buy this K3II if it would have cost more, actually I wasn't planning on buying a K3 at all - it was quick, spontaneous decision 😅

Define "real cheap" 😜
I realize that for most of You this may by not a good price at all, but please take into account that in Poland we have a significantly smaller market compared to, for example, the USA, UK or Canada, and the Pentax brand is a niche, so the prices tend to be higher than in large markets (and the recent high inflation doesn't help either). Sample of prices for reference:

New K-3III - around 8000PLN = 1853 USD/1 705 EUR
Used K3 (the first one) - usually more than 2000PLN = 463 USD/426EUR
2 years ago I bought K-5 for 729 PLN = 192 USD/160 EUR back then.

---------- Post added 04-01-23 at 02:12 PM ----------

I completely forgot to add this - I paid 1444PLN for this body = 334 USD/307 Euro.
The price you paid sounds reasonable to me!
04-01-2023, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I think that's a pretty good price. I've been pricing the K3, K3ii, and KP. Most of the K3ii bodies that I'm seeing are around $500 at the cheapest.
04-01-2023, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a very low price for a camera of this class, of fairly recent design, and apparently in fine condition. No doubt due to the higher shutter count, but its record indicates it has great durability. It seems very unlikely that you'd find another better than this one for such a truly cheap price!

04-01-2023, 08:03 PM   #23
Pentaxian

And that led me into this "trap" �� Considering how good this body looked, I didn't expect more "mileage" than, let's say, 60-70K.
I guess we live and learn. FYI, they either put it in their AD what the mileage is or I ask specifically before I buy. This is a common practice and nothing unusual.
04-01-2023, 09:36 PM   #24

Original Poster
I guess we live and learn. FYI, they either put it in their AD what the mileage is or I ask specifically before I buy. This is a common practice and nothing unusual.
You are absolutely right, but I will say in my defense that I didn't ask for the shutter count, because I found this advertisement in the middle of the night, and I've never seen such a cheap K-3, let alone a K-3II, so I wanted to act quick...It was a spontaneous decision, a bit stupid perhaps, "but I'm only human after all" ��
04-02-2023, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never seen such a cheap K-3, let alone a K-3II, so I wanted to act quick...It was a spontaneous decision, a bit stupid perhaps, "but I'm only human after all
Perhaps, since you would not have got it if it had cost more, this decision will turn out to be a very good one for you. You will now have resolution capability about as good as it gets, and a number of other advancements as well, and at such a low cost. You have some lenses of very high quality, which can now be used to best advantage. You might consider doing a re-set to factory spec to erase any special settings that the previous owner might have chosen. If you sometimes like to shoot highest quality JPEG images right out of the camera, be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening", especially in the most often used "Bright" category, for superior fine detail in your images.

We'd appreciate seeing any reports from you as to how well your K-3 II is serving you. Good luck, and enjoy your bargain high-level camera!
04-02-2023, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

It was a spontaneous decision
Do not worry about it. Just click away. You might just get lucky and see another 200K clicks before it gives up.
04-02-2023, 08:54 AM - 4 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

You are absolutely right, but I will say in my defense that I didn't ask for the shutter count, because I found this advertisement in the middle of the night, and I've never seen such a cheap K-3, let alone a K-3II, so I wanted to act quick...It was a spontaneous decision, a bit stupid perhaps, "but I'm only human after all" ��
No, not stupid at all! Shoot with it, use it up and wear it out! It seems like these cameras are built to last. Forget about the shutter count and enjoy your camera. If you’re worried, start saving up for another one, then when this one dies in 5 years you will have some money for a replacement! There’s no use second guessing yourself, go take some photos and show us what you can do with your new camera, and HAVE FUN!!!
04-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

pictures are often "almost sharp"
I wonder if that has somethong to do with the AF optics/sensor being dusty.
04-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #29

Four months ago the shutter on my K10D jammed completely. The camera powered on and worked normally, except the shutter was malfunctioning and stayed closed, no matter what. The last picture it took had the exact shutter count of 29 677.
04-03-2023, 02:31 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by artrasa Quote
Four months ago the shutter on my K10D jammed completely. The camera powered on and worked normally, except the shutter was malfunctioning and stayed closed, no matter what. The last picture it took had the exact shutter count of 29 677.
That is just bad luck. It might not even be the shutter itself, and the camera might well be in need of a fairly simple service job. Some here with more technical knowledge might be able to offer advice. Maybe start a thread in the trouble-shooting section.