Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #1

K110D possesed by some poltergeist...

Hi everybody. my Pentax is behaving very strangely, and i can't find where the problem is:

- Using A and DA lenses the matrix metering is gone, it defaults to semispot: the option is disappeared form menus.
- Auto ISO behaves strangely.
- The popup flash overexposes badly even when compensated, and even at closest f-stop: Totally white shots.

The rest of the camera works perfectly: i tought about mount contacts but aperture is recognized. I updated the firmware some days ago but patter worked well. Any ideas before sending to service?

12-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try the following:

1) Remove batteries for a long time (around 24 hours)
2) Reinstall batteries and perform a factory reset (go to custom functions and reset everything).
3) Make sure you are using a DA lens or otherwise, an A lens with the aperture ring in the A position.
4) Check if strange behavior persists.

5) If the above procedures doesn't work, grab a bible, dim lights and start chanting: "The power of Jesus compells you........"

Luck

Let us know what happened.
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Aye, as suggested go for the "big reset" before sending it off anywhere, good luck.
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It seems to me like your lens stays wide open all the time, so I would clean the contacts on the lens(es) and body to make sure the info are transmitted properly. I would also check if the contacts (which are spring loaded) are moving freely, not stuck down in their "hole".

01-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for your free assistance during holydays

@ Rburgoss, kerrowdown: I'll do the big reset, i think it's a software failure rather than contacts, they seems ok. Btw, i'll do some snow shots today, so we'll see next week. Maybe it's possibile to overwrite the firmware (already updated to the latest version?

P.s. option #5 made my day

@ Flyer: you got it! Reading your message i noticed that with A setting the iris won't stop down either shooting and with DOF preview: i went out to do some shots in manual mode and it works very fine for a broken camera The massive overexposure with flash is now explained too. UPDATE: Simply the body displays the aperture but the lens is not recognized in A mode. Now, how to clean contacts?

Last edited by zntgrg; 01-01-2009 at 04:32 AM.
01-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can rub the contacts with a soft eraser, or go to an electronic supply store and get some "contact cleaner" (my fav). Just dont spray the contact cleaner directly on the contacts, but use something like a Q-tip or a disposable swab to rub the contacts. I like the cleaner better than the eraser because it will also dissolve/remove the "gunk" that may keep a contact from moving freely in it's socket.
01-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
Still no luck

- Rubbed the contacts.
- Firwmare rewrite a couple of times.
- "cold" reset.
- Debug mode user data clear (i think it's the instant version of the cold reset).

Still the body refuses to stop down in A mode, activate pattern metering but it works flawlessy in M and sees correctly diapgraghm values.

Now i have to understand those obscures italian warranty policies and send it to service.