Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #1

Ring Flash Adapter?

I've made my own ring flash adapter, and I like the results. (I am using it with a 360 flash at the moment, and probably need to go for the 540 to get some extra power.) My first attempt is not rigid enough, so I either need to make another, or by a commercial one. Has anyone tried such an adapter with Pentax flashes?

The ones I've found are

Ray Flash
Does not make one for Pentax. Claims only 1 stop light loss. Claims Patent, but no details of what the patent are, or what countries. Way expensive for a simple adapter ($300)
Ringflash - ringflash,flash,photography,ringblitz,kruhový blesk,flash annulaire,flashes,blitze,blesky
US distributor - http://www.expoimaging.net/product-detail.php?cat_id=8&product_id=15&keyword..._Flash_Adapter

Saturn
Does not make a model for Pentax. Cheaper ($100). Claims 1.5 stop light loss (How much lighting power do you lose from using a ring flash adapter?)
Saturn Ring Flash Adapter

Orbis
orbis(tm) modular ring flash photo lighting for flash/strobes - enlight photo
Claims to work with the Pentax 540, but the flash is not mounted on the camera, which makes the whole thing a pain. Even my DIY adapter works with the flash on the camera. $170. No claims of light loss.

Ring Flash
Pentax do make a real ring flash (AF160FC), but I saw it on Amazon for $500. Rather pricey, unless you consider the Ray Flash at $300.

01-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should post a couple of photos of your design. We might be able to offer some modifcation ideas. Does it have a way to screw on the front of your lens?

I've been considering doing this with a Cokin holder and making one for my flash as well.
The Ray is too much $$ IMO. The saturn says it's for the pop up so not enough power IMO. Maybe one of those Ebay LED versions but I have no experience with one to offer.
01-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
I've made my own ring flash adapter, and I like the results......
Care to show us?
01-01-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Orbis. I just watched the You Tube promo and that thing is huge!. I don't like the idea of having to hold it in one hand and the camera in the other. I can see lots of shaky/blurred pictures and getting very tired.

It would be much better with a filter mount but it looks heavy and much be too much to mount on a lens.

01-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Care to show us?
Here are some pictures. The important thing is to use a mirror to reflect the light to the ring. If I get a chance later today, I'll post some of the results. I like the effect, though I suspect it looses a lot of light. I've also had problems with underexposure, but I'm think that might be a problem with the flash. If I set the flash to manual, it can provide more than enough light, but the P-TTL mode seems to drastically underexpose more often than I'd like.

01-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

OK looking at that idea, I have a couple suggestions.
1) get a Cokin P filter holder and some filter adapter rings to fit your lens filter size. Cheap on Ebay. Fix the holder to the front of the tube not the back. (to avoid vignetting). You should be able to screw your lens into the holder and then mount the lens on the camera. Should be nice and solid.
2) Line the light periscope with aluminum foil to get the most light in there.
3) get a little fibreglass resin and hardner to fix the persiscope to the ring more solidly. This stuff is great and if you mix a little Metyl Hydrate to it, you can use a paint brush to apply it. With hardener alone you have about 30 seconds before it's hard. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area with no flame or sparks. I'd do it with the camera mounted to get the correct angles. I'd just put the camera and lens in a heavy plastic bag and then apply the resin. But be careful. This stuff is impossible to clean off and if you can make sure the setup is at all the right angles without the camera/lens attached, do it that way.
4) afix a lexan cover over the front ring to even out the light. Something from a flourecent light cover would be good here.
5) Get some Gel Coat or epoxy paint to finish it. Filbreglass resin is very strong and you can sand it smooth. The Gel coat will give a great finish.
01-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Therre's always the Dine ring flash I'm selling in the marketplace.

Dine flash

01-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Fasinating stuff. A whole lot less $$$ than other options.

01-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I might try this myself and post the results here =) Thanks for the suggestions Peter!
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
OK looking at that idea, I have a couple suggestions.
2) Line the light periscope with aluminum foil to get the most light in there.
Great ideas - the only one I disagree with is the aluminum foil - it does not reflect as well as you would expect - Even Better Softbox Part Two - The Test Results | DIYPhotography.net
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well there you go. I never knew that and made an assumption based on that my softboxes are lined with what appears to be aluminum. They must be Mylar.

So then here's the revision:
1) Take 2 large bags of potato chips and carefully cut the tops open.
2) eat all the chips in one sitting.
3) wash out the bags and cut the bags in a way that gives you 2 flat sheets
4) Glue the label side to the inside of your 'periscope' so that the mylar side is facing out.
5) once glue is set. take 15 KM hike with your camera to walk off the earlier eaten potato chips. If you still feel bloated/like crap, repeat walk and make sure you take plenty of photos till you feel better.
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Good work Mr Savage