Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2023, 09:55 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Great choice! Since buying used, it would seem a good idea to do a reset to factory spec, in order to erase any special adjustments the prevous owner might have set. Perhaps you'll be fortunate and the owners manual will be included. If not, one can be downloaded from the Ricoh/Pentax website.
No manual but I bought k3 ebook here on pentaxforums . I missed the sale but I was not sure what camera I will buy during the sale.

05-02-2023, 03:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read many times that the ebook can be very useful. However, just for looking up this or that function, though sometimes not perfectly written, the manual is a very good thing to have. Downloading one from the Ricoh/Pentax website of your area should be free of charge.
05-14-2023, 02:56 PM   #18

Original Poster
I have the manual and ebook but most thing I think I was able to setup for my liking.

Got a few days with the K-3 and I am so happy I switched from k-50. It is great camera too but all the controls and setting are much easier to be done on K-3. And the so most unknown for me, back button focusing, is really good. I found partially broken K-7 locally for cheap and I used it as donor for missing rubber cover for battery grip connector. So I had it hope and tried it's AF button on the back. While K-7/K-5 series have it more comfortable I think, K-3's button is better placed because it is between AElock and back e-dial which I using. Also, camera is easier to hold. So I am happy with the switching, now I will try to sell K-50.

I am glad that I stopped just reading pentaxforums and registered after so many year and asked questions. I thought noone will understand my dilema with choosing K-5II and K-3. But the support was great and you all really did help me a lot. THANKS!

edit: after shooting small trip my kids I found that I am missing that AF-S/AF-C/M switch, K-3 has only AF/M switch. With the kids around, sometimes I need AFS, sometimes AFC. It was easier with K-50 (and would be with K-5 II too), but I found out that back button focusing is helping me here. I can focus on static object with AF-C mode, unpress AF button and it will not refocus even when I recompose. So not a problem at all.

Last edited by skkayman; 05-14-2023 at 03:00 PM. Reason: forgot to mention AF/M switch
05-16-2023, 10:42 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skkayman Quote
after shooting small trip my kids I found that I am missing that AF-S/AF-C/M switch, K-3 has only AF/M switch. With the kids around, sometimes I need AFS, sometimes AFC. It was easier with K-50 (and would be with K-5 II too), but I found out that back button focusing is helping me here. I can focus on static object with AF-C mode, unpress AF button and it will not refocus even when I recompose. So not a problem at all.
Just above the AF/M switch, there's an "AF mode" button. Hold it down and you can use the front and back wheel to change from AF-S to AF-C and with the other one I think toggle through some AF sensor options like "center", "spot", ...

But as you already said, that's one of the benefits of using back button focussing, you don't need to haggle with those settings, you can make do with what you have.