Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My understanding is Irfanview actually reads the RAW file data, not the JPEF preview.

Do understand some RAW converters are more forgiving than others. The fact that Irfanview can even use photoshop plugins is an indication of how versatile this software is.

I would suggest a simple test - Load a damaged raw file and do a save as JPG at full res. If you end up with a clean full res JPG, then you know where your problem is. Give it a shot - what do you have to lose but a few already-damaged images?

01-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Give it a shot - what do you have to lose but a few already-damaged images?
I'm not sure how he would loose even that much. Anyhow, you might also want to stick one of the RAW files up online so the rest of us could check it out for you if you don't get anywhere. Best of luck.
01-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello again!

I think there is no point of thinking what's wrong - obviously the SD card has some issues (it had previously and that is why I think they didn't disappear) I have done the recovery process and it always stops and doesn't finish (using different recovery software) - so I guess this is because of the card is really damaged. Again - I don't know any good flash card tester software - I found one freeware but it was very simple - did the test really quickly and showed no errors - so that is why I used that card again - again my mistake.

Here is the damaged pef: RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
This was a very cheap lesson for me - the pictures I took don't have any significant value - besides IrfanView can extract something - is it embedded JPEG or it does some "magical algorithms" on raw file - I still get the result.
01-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For what it's worth - I loaded it up into LightRoom and it too got scrambled.

Just for the heck of it, I loaded it into IrfanView and was able to create a 3008x2000 2.5MB JPG which opened without problems. I could also zoom in to the grain, so it's definitely full res.

And I also created a TIFF file out of it and loaded it into Photoshop and LR, again full res - I can work on it to the point where I can see the bus number, 17068, and it's likely a Mercedes Benz

01-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IJFR is a free utility that can be downloaded from RawWorkflow.com. It allows you to extract a copy of the JPG file contained within a RAW file. Might help you salvage something.
01-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
madphys, it's been my experience that once an SD card has a problem, it will randomly keep having problems. Since Kingston has a lifetime warranty, contact them and get it replaced.