Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Image artifact

Hello!

So I was just roaming around city taking pictures but oh what a surprise was expecting me when I downloaded the files to PC.
My question is WHY?
Temperature was about -1oC - so I can't actually say that this is extreme temperature. I used Kingston Elite Pro 1GB SD card which has some "history". About a month before this I also was shooting series of photos but afterwards when I copied images to HDD I got error on "Can't copy images, drive is unaccessible" or something like that. Yup a corrupted SD card I thought - so I searched this forum and other places for some useful rescue software but nothing could help me - so back then I lost half of that nights pictures. So I formated the card and scanned it and it showed no faults at all. Today I was using this same Kingston Card. This "line" appeared spontaneously - one frame is perfect and on the next one this glitch appeared out of blue and after that it didn't go away - this line is different on each frame - it migrates, on some frames it has split to two glitch lines. Also I can't recall that I observed this glitch on preview screen just after taking the photo. What do you think - SD card or malfunction of Pentax? Have you experienced something similar? Maybe you can suggest some really good rescue software that can read Pentaxes RAW files - I couldn't find one. Oh I forgot to mention that I took some pictures now at home - no artifacts at all (same SD card).

Thank you!

01-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you format the card in the camera? If you didn't, that could be your problem. If you did format in camera, then I would try to get the card replaced. It seems like it doesn't send the picture info in the proper register.
01-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please try reading out this picture through the camera. I've had that color banding thing going on from card readers, they never were on the card itself.
Wishing you few artifacts in 2009,
Georg
01-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replies!

I don't remember If I re-formated this card in camera (I usually do but I'm not 100% sure)
What goes for card reader - I didn't use card reader - I plugged a cable into my k100D. I usually do not use card reader.
The bad thing is that I didn't copy those files but I just cut them (how stupid of me). That is why I need some rescue software that supports *.pef files. At the moment I have found only two utilities that support pef files - RecoverPlus Photo Recovery and Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery (freeware). Maybe you know some more?

Last edited by madphys; 01-01-2009 at 01:36 PM.
01-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Looks like you took these pictures in JPEG and during the transfer, a few bits were "lost". As a result, you've ended up with bad files during transfer. This is usually not the problem with the camera storing the picture on the card. It usually happens during transfer from card to PC.

You already said it yourself. Next time, copy & paste first and then delete.
01-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what he said , he took PEFs. I've had this happen with RAW files, but the interesting thing is I've been able to open the PEFs with other programs and no banding shows.

What software are you using to view the files?

Have you tested the camera with other cards? Is the problem there with different cards?

In regards to saving files from the card, you don't need photo recovery software, you need file recovery software, nothing more. Unlike photo recovery tools, file recovery tools just recover any files available on the drive, regardless of type.

Here's one I tested with favorable results - FreeUndelete - OfficeRecovery.com

Best of luck!
01-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh well - used that freeware pef recovery software - got most of those files back but they still are damaged (opened them on second PC). I guess this is not a good start for a New year.
BTW I open them with CS3 Raw application. Might try something else but it feels like I won't get pass data corruption. This is the first time ever - I have never experienced this before not with this card or any other. My feeling is that this is cards fault - because data recovery just stopped (hanged or call it whatsoever) and didn't finish the process. Same happened the first time when I simply couldn't copy files (I used different file recovery utilities back then). Bye bye kingston.
01-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try downloading Irfanview plus all plugins. It's a free image viewer available here:
IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

You have to download all plugins so you can preview RAW files too. It's not a very large program at all, but it can view just about everything.

01-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Frogroast - you are the best!
I don't understand how and why but IrfanView opend those pefs with no artifacts at all. But still - I don't understand why this happened and where is the problem?
01-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Thanks Frogroast - you are the best!
I don't understand how and why but IrfanView opend those pefs with no artifacts at all. But still - I don't understand why this happened and where is the problem?
Either ifranview is showing the jpeg preview stored in the raw file, and the raw file is still corrupt, or ifranview is showing the actual raw data, and only your jpeg preview was ever corrupted. I'm not sure since I've never used ifranview.
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

madphys,
never mind those corrupted pics, get out and take some more :-)
(that's easy for me to say I know)

Here's just some more from my point of view, maybe of help, I hope:
- I only use Sandisk cards (UltraII at the moment in the K100D). Beware of fake copies! AFAIK SanDisk do extensive compatibility and quality checks.
- I only read out through the cam (I know that you do, too).
- I re-configured my USB-settings and outlets several times, concluded that everything depends on everything :-) So finally I read out like this: 1) Start computer 2) Plug in cam 3)copy files (never do anything on the card from the PC, only copy - you said you did cut those files, could have been the reason) 4) Don't do nothing at all (no programs running, no internet, nothing) til the copying finished. 5) After processing all those pics, format card in-camera

You see I've had some bad experiences like you, but ruled it out like that.
01-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Either ifranview is showing the jpeg preview stored in the raw file, and the raw file is still corrupt, or ifranview is showing the actual raw data, and only your jpeg preview was ever corrupted. I'm not sure since I've never used ifranview.
Another option to eliminate or confirm possible issues with IFranview is to try a program like RAWTherapee out, which is a free raw converter, or for that matter use the Pentax Photo Lab software as a test as well.

Never mind whether you'll use the program for anything else, but at least it gives you something that will open the RAW data and not the JPG embedded with the RAW data. With either of those options you could probably quickly see if you notice the artifacts and you could quickly develop a RAW file or two with default settings just to see if the artifacts are there.
01-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well - tried out the RAWTherapee - same as CS3 - artifacts all over the place. So now we know...
Thanks once again for your helpful comments - I really appreciate it!

Last edited by madphys; 01-02-2009 at 01:14 PM.
01-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Well - tried out the RAWTherapee - same as CS3 - artifacts all over the place.
It looks like your files have problems then and the "lack" of problem in Ifranview was probably just because it was reading the embedded JPG. The next thing to do is make sure that your other cards don't have the same problem (i.e. a camera problem rather than a card problem) and/or repeating the problem on the card that you've had problems with.

As for the PEF's you currently have with problems, I wonder if running them through Adobe's DNG converter might help at all? Gut instinct is it won't, but you never know.
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It is possible to extract the jpeg preview from the raw files, at least then you'll have something. I'm not sure if ifranview can do it, but filejuicer can (might be mac only) and adobe dng converter can do dng files (it might work on other stuff too) google "extract jpeg preview from raw files". Also, have you tried running photorec on your card? Its free, and has always worked exceptionally well for me.