Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #1

Question: Tips for taking food picture with K200d?

Hi there, this is my first post on this board. Forgive me if I post in the wrong area.
I just started playing camera since this April, therefore, I am still quite a beginner. My friend is asking me to give it a try taking few shots of their resturant's food to make poster for their new menu. I thought it as a good challenge and good way to grow, so I accept the offer.
Here is my equipment:
K200d
18-55mm DA
50-200mm DA
10-17mm DA fisheye
50mm FA f1.4
500mm Tokina mirror
I do no have any external flash nor big studio light.

I am guessing using 50mmFA would be the best choice?
I am wondering if anyone can give me some tips and something to becareful when taking food photos.

Thank you.

01-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Kei

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum!

Both the 18-55mm and the FA50 will be your best bet.

Using the built-in flash in K200d (or any camera) will give hard shadows to the subject so I would try not using it. This will affect your food picture because I imagine you need to focus close to the subject. Since you don't have external flash it would be best to bring the food beside open window using ambient natural light.

If you have a tripod, use it (with the 2-sec delay shutter). This let you use longer shutter speed without camera shake. So you can still get enough light without camera shake.

I love taking food pics and is still learning.
01-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
thank you for your reply

thank you for your warming welcome and advice
i am going over to take the picture now, wish me good luck and we'll see how it goes.
01-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When it comes to food, it's all about the light and composition. Oh and the number one rule is: get a food stylist. HUGE difference

About the lenses, the kit lens and 50 will do just fine.

01-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Since you don't have lights to work with, work by a window and some reflectors. I use styrofoam boards most of the time, they work fantastic and are dirt cheap. Get small boards and a big one too. I keep about 4 small ones and 1 big one.

Avoid using tinted windows and a plain white cloth could be useful when you want to diffuse the light even more, and a few rolls of gaffers or duct tape, and a few packs of bluetac will make your life a lot easier.