Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pinout of remote shutter plugs

as far as I know the pentax remote socket takes a standard 3 channel mini headphone jack like the ones that often come with compact cameras for stereo audio and composite video output. as I have such a cable I can plug it in and have 3 phono plugs one the end that I can pug into a button pad (I have all the components so its free to make).

but what is the pinout of the plug ? I'd assume that there is a common (earth) and that each of the 3 chanels is a button focus and shutter and... ?

any ideas anyone ?

01-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Pin-Outs for wired remote shutter release

I just measured mine with an ohm meter.

There are three contacts, in order: the tip, the middle and the shaft.

The shaft is common.

The middle is half-press for auto-focus

The tip is full-press to activate the shutter.

IOW, the switch shorts the connection between the shaft and the middle to simulate a half-press of the shutter release, which triggers auto-focus and SR.

The switch shorts the connection between the shaft and the tip to trip the shutter and capture the image.

There have been plans and write-ups on various sites about how to make your own wired remote. It is fairly easy. I was going to do it myself, until I found one of the cheap remotes on ebay. I think that I paid about $7 or $8 for the one I got, incuding shipping. I decided it wasn't worth it to make my own.

Oh, and yes, you are right. Its a standard 2.5mm stereo plug, as used in headphones.

Paul Noble
01-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks well theres also the option of having a timer on it etc or a circuit to generate regular pulses
01-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pinouts

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
thanks well theres also the option of having a timer on it etc or a circuit to generate regular pulses
That's very true. Plus, there's the fun of building something yourself, instead of always just buying what you need.

It shouldn't be too difficult to hook your camera up to a motion-detector, using this information. I'm sure that there are many things you could come up with to build some sort of custom trigger.

Have fun!

01-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I made a thread about a DIY remote shutter release, you can find it here

And here is a diagram showing how I had it wired. I forget which of the contacts is which, so it's best to test things out before soldering everything together, but one is the common, one is for AF, and on is for shutter, all on a common 2.5mm stereo jack:
01-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I made a thread about a DIY remote shutter release, you can find it here

And here is a diagram showing how I had it wired. I forget which of the contacts is which, so it's best to test things out before soldering everything together, but one is the common, one is for AF, and on is for shutter, all on a common 2.5mm stereo jack:
I have made two of these remotes using this circuit diagram for my K20D. Both work flawlessly. I used a SPST for the Bulb switch. If you shoot in cold climates (< 5C), consider looking for more flexible cable with cold weather rating. Note that the one huge advantage over the dealer supplied cable is that you can make it as long as you want.

Jack
01-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #7

If it is indeed just a 3.5mm headphone jack, zip over to Radio Shack, and get a headphone extension for like $7-8 or so. I think they sell up to 25 or 50ft versions.

T

01-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
If it is indeed just a 3.5mm headphone jack, zip over to Radio Shack, and get a headphone extension for like $7-8 or so. I think they sell up to 25 or 50ft versions.

T

All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices is where I get stuff like this. Much cheaper and often better quality than ratshack.

-G
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote

T
Its a 2.5mm . . .
01-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
eclipsed450

thanks for this thread guys, got some spare parts together and fancied one up over the weekend, black is focus, red is shutter, switch is shutter in bulb mode. fits great in my big hands and is light as a feather...cable is an old phone cord, which isn't soft, but isn't too tough either, just right, and around 8' long i think...
Attached Images

01-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having built a few cable extenders and computer controlled shutter releases I'll add a few comments.

Blue is correct: the plug is 2.5mm. AKA 3/32 inch, Micro (not Mini), and 2 channel plus common (not 3 channel).

Radio Shack sometimes has an extender in stock but it is a curly cord. I had to make my own long straight cord for photographing birds with a camera by a feeder and me behind a tree.

If you are going to use computer control and don't need half-pressed shutter, you still need a three conductor plug. Leave the middle contact open, the camera got upset when I inserted a plug with two contacts permanently connected.

I had a hard time finding the male and female connectors I needed locally, had to order them.

Right angle plus are nice since the cords usually are not going straight left.

Watch out for plugs that lack enough space between the pin and barrel. I had a lot of intermittent operation until I found the barrel would strike the body before the pin snapped in. I was able to fix it by cutting some of the rubber back so the plug could go in far enough to, "click".

Once I figured this stuff out my cables worked fine.
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
eclipsed450

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Blue is correct: the plug is 2.5mm. AKA 3/32 inch, Micro (not Mini), and 2 channel plus common (not 3 channel).
I didn't have a 2.5, so i picked up one, i just got a stereo 2.5 jack..although it's a TIGHT squeeze even with the THIN wires i used..anyone who has used phone wire knows it's VERY thin, but it works and I'm satisfied...

Radio Shack sometimes has an extender in stock but it is a curly cord. I had to make my own long straight cord for photographing birds with a camera by a feeder and me behind a tree.
That's a great idea...i have a 50' phone cord laying around, may need to hack it up to be an extender for bird shots...thanks!!

Right angle plus are nice since the cords usually are not going straight left.
Yes!! the right angle is so nice, I'm glad i went with it...
01-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
That's a great idea...i have a 50' phone cord laying around, may need to hack it up to be an extender for bird shots...thanks!!
Dont hack up the phone extension - make a couple converters,,, a pair of 2.5mm stereo jacks (1 male, 1 female - you'd be getting them to make the extension anyway) and a couple of RJ11 or RJ12 jacks (one of each sex, or 2 female depending on the extension you have) and a few inches of phone cable...

Suggestion - if you're using RJ12 phone cable (6 conductor) double up on the wires - meaning you'll have 2 wires each connected to the tip and rings on the 2.5mm jack - better signal, less possibility of failure.

These would allow you to use any length phone extension...
02-03-2009, 02:47 AM   #14

I just built one using parts i recycled and it works beautifully!

Cost: $0

Thanks.
02-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
any idea if the signal goes the other way?
I.e., if the camera is focusing, does it short the middle and common?
Wondering if it's an easy way to connect an AF assist lamp...