Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D Hotpixel ?? advise

Hello, I got a K20D this xmass moving up from the K10D , I loved the K10 but wanted to go further, anyway I'm taking pictures of the moon , using a wiliama 800 , and what do I see when I download the image 3 errant *Red* pixels , They don't show up in the same place on all the images , but always at least 1 or 2 are present, can some one give me some advise , is it a error or just an anomaly ? , Ive already sent the camera back once for locking up, and got a new one this one I havn't upgraded the firmware yet so it's runing 1.0.

01-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #2

Not necessarily a "hot" pixel

My 3-cents worth of experience says that what you face is actually not a "pixel" problem at all, based on the fact that the same problem occurs at different pixels on different takes. That happens time to time in night scenes. Some call it noise, some believe that this happens due to overheating of the sensor. I assume you can only see those so-called "hot" pixels when you examine the photos in RAW format. If that is the case, as far as I know, this should not be considered a defect and it should not show up on your prints or JPG previews.
01-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
upgrade the firmware...it has a hotpixel fix...a quick search would have confirmed this BTW...
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JDuke Quote
Hello, I got a K20D this xmass moving up from the K10D , I loved the K10 but wanted to go further, anyway I'm taking pictures of the moon , using a wiliama 800 , and what do I see when I download the image 3 errant *Red* pixels , They don't show up in the same place on all the images , but always at least 1 or 2 are present, can some one give me some advise , is it a error or just an anomaly ? , Ive already sent the camera back once for locking up, and got a new one this one I havn't upgraded the firmware yet so it's runing 1.0.
There was quite the bruahua about this early on with the K20. It seems that there is a problem with the sensor.
I got this email to me from another photographer when DPReview started making a fuss about it:

"did you read the announcement of why they were worried about the hot pixels? it's not because they are there but because they kept moving around from capture to capture on the same camera. no other DSLR out there does that, including all prior Pentax bodies. every one of them except the K20D has hot pixels that vary with exposure but are always present in the same locations. that is why if you read up on camera service manuals there is a procedure for mapping out hot and dead pixels. they stay in one place. moving hot pixels is a very bad thing. it indicates either a hardware problem badly covered up in firmware or a bug in the firmware. so all of you out there on PDML who are making fun of DPReview are displaying a lot of stupidy right now. i'm emailing you privately on this because you have in the past shown some common sense when the PDML fanboys are jumping up and down trashing this or that unfavorable comment about Pentax and their cameras. trust me, there is something wrong."

The upgraded firmware will mask the problem.

01-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Forgot to mention the upgraded firmware only "fixes" the problem for 2sec exposures (it was noticed most using MLU).

It is pretty disturbing that hot pixels move around on the K20D's sensor and this will continue to happen for longer exposures...it's the main negative about the sensor..that and lack of dynamic range at higher ISOs :-P