Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2023, 04:43 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
for image quality and overall toughness, I feel like the K-5/K5 series bodies are the best used bargain overall, I used and aboused that camera and it just kept working like it should. I still have my K-5 but rarely use it, however, it was my work horse for ten years and it has never let me down, some of my best shots are from that camera, it will be retired to my Pentax camera shrine lol. I use a K-3, in conjunction with my K-1, they complement each other.
Yep, the K-3 has 24Mp instead of 16, and it has pretty much the current autofocus system, but the K-5 is cheaper, and was always robust, the flagship of its day too. I would always recommend it over the cheaper K-30/50/500 of that era, since it uses a stopper motor instead of a solenoid for its aperture mechanism.

05-29-2023, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yep, the K-3 has 24Mp instead of 16, and it has pretty much the current autofocus system, but the K-5 is cheaper, and was always robust, the flagship of its day too. I would always recommend it over the cheaper K-30/50/500 of that era, since it uses a stopper motor instead of a solenoid for its aperture mechanism.
Another benefit - albeit smaller is that it can take a grip and it offers 14 bit vs. 12 bit files. But one thing it lacks (like the K-3) are the SCN modes which I think can be very helpful to a new photographer to get their feet wet.

It's a way to test yourself - use the SCN mode and try to experiment with similar exposures and learn how the system works. Many times in the thick of the hobby when you are new - dialing to the sunset mode is a lot more successful than trying to recall how to do it. Eventually after your better equipped to make your own choices you can ignore these modes - but before then they are quite useful in my opinion.
05-29-2023, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Another benefit - albeit smaller is that it can take a grip and it offers 14 bit vs. 12 bit files. But one thing it lacks (like the K-3) are the SCN modes which I think can be very helpful to a new photographer to get their feet wet.

It's a way to test yourself - use the SCN mode and try to experiment with similar exposures and learn how the system works. Many times in the thick of the hobby when you are new - dialing to the sunset mode is a lot more successful than trying to recall how to do it. Eventually after your better equipped to make your own choices you can ignore these modes - but before then they are quite useful in my opinion.
Yes, my advice for beginners is to get away from them as soon as they can ... otherwise that will be the normal way they go about their photography and we can be disappointed that the camera's decision didn't result in the picture we wanted, but ... we all have to start somewhere!

I was at a food photography workshop in a cafe on Sunday and there was a beginner there who was listening to a wedding photographer drone on about how important it was to be individual and different.

I quietly mentioned to the beginner, 'Yeah, but today, just copy the settings of the instructor, stand in the same places, get the same shots.'.
05-29-2023, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought my K-5 in early 2011, and it won't be for sale. Never hesitate to use it beside my K-1.
The downside is that it can't use the newest lenses (KAF 4 mount) with full functionality, like the marvellous but very expensive D-FA 21mm.
In Pentaxland the K-5 is at the peak of body design. Of course you get a bit more of everything with the K-5 II and the K-3 series, but then you have probably moved out of bargain territory.

Kjell