Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2023, 01:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's The "Best Bargain" In Used Pentax APS-C DSLR Bodies?

In the last 15 or 20 years Pentax has made many excellent APS-C DSLR cameras. These days, many of them are selling for very little money.

I love the colors from the K10D and it's IBIS. I find it hard to believe that one can buy nice used copies of it for only around $150 USD. Now that's a "raging bargain"!

Which used Pentax DSLR body do you feel is an incredible bargain these days (and why)?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-25-2023 at 01:40 PM.
05-25-2023, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Really does depend what you want the camera for!
My "best bargain" was my *ist DL2 for £20 … it's proven to be an extremely capable infra-red camera, even unmodified
My K-5 is now my "knock about in the garden and on the beach" camera … robust, weather resistant and with a big battery which won't need changing during the day, under normal circumstances.
Sometimes I think the "baked-in" anti-moire might make the results slightly less than optimal, but mostly I don't even consider it
I've got nothing bad to say about the K200D, the use of AA batteries is in it's favour, but no particular feature stands out, in my mind.
Most of my other bodies "have their place in the scheme of things" … if you can find a KP, at a price you want to pay, grab it … it really is excellent!
The original *istD is surprisingly comprehensive, having twin e-dials, so intriguingly "advanced" to use, but it doesn't have any of the Custom Image or Digital Filter settings of the later models … and it needs CF cards, not SD.
The K-01 is a style statement. The picture quality is good, I love the looks of it but really struggle with the ergonomics … older eyesight probably doesn't help
I've steered clear of the bodies that need a D-Li50 battery simply because the batteries seem to be getting hard to find.
Purely my opinions, of course … inevitably YMMV
Enjoy!

Last edited by kypfer; 05-25-2023 at 02:07 PM. Reason: afterthought
05-25-2023, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The KX seems to be quite cheap. I had one but the battery door broke and it is now bricked. It was pretty good while it worked, much better in low light than any CCD camera like the K200D. Which brings me to my next suggestion, the K200D or its older brother the K10D. They have the same sensor but the K10D has more buttons and functions, being a pro class body.

If you get a K3 mark one for a good price, do not hesitate. It is nearly the same as the more expensive mark two.

There is a KX with 18-55mm kit lens in my valley for about USD100 and I am very tempted. The thing is, I already have two of those kit lenses.
05-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
In the last 15 or 20 years Pentax has made many excellent APS-C DSLR cameras. These days, many of them are selling for very little money.

I love the colors from the K10D and it's IBIS. I find it hard to believe that one can buy nice used copies of it for only around $150 USD. Now that's a "raging bargain"!

Which used Pentax DSLR body do you feel is an incredible bargain these days (and why)?
I think that a used K10d is probably a great bargain, if shutter count is not too high. But you might also consider the K10d sibling, the Samsung GX-10. It's a great camera, but differently tweaked and with different ergonomics. That is the camera I will not trade in to buy a new one, but if I need to, it would be the K-3 Mark Ii that has to go.

05-25-2023, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a "parts" K-x for $25 including shipping, but it works. I think this type of bargain is not unusual, because the AA powered cameras especially can look broken at first if they weren't used in years. Depends on your risk tolerance. The K-x is good for photos and I like the sensor. Since it is my 5th or 6th body I often want to use it for timelapses or similar. For that it's annoying because it doesn't have a wired remote socket.

I'd buy a K-30 with a broken solenoid because I have the part and I've done the repair. When it's fixed it's a really good camera, with a lot more features than a K-x.

If you don't want to fix something, the K-7 is a bargain because everyone knows it's bad at high ISOs. But it has very few other flaws.
05-25-2023, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

K3 - even with quite low shutter counts at £300 on e-bay seem like real bargains to me.
05-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
but if I need to, it would be the K-3 Mark Ii that has to go.
Just curious as to why you would be willing to let your K-3 Mark II go and not your other cameras. What is it about the K-3 Mark II that you do not like?

05-25-2023, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought a used K-50 with kit 18-55 for $40 NZD. It has the dreaded aperture block failure, but I also managed to buy a K-m that someone had dropped and broken for $17.50 NZD, and that's supposed to have a couple of solenoids in it, and the K-50 actually works OK with lenses with aperture rings.
A used K-30 or K-50 (or even K-70 although it's rarer with them) with aperture block failure can be a real bargain if someone doesn't know what the problem is, particularly if you can find another older camera going cheap with a good solenoid, and are comfortable doing the repair yourself.
Also, the K-50 and K-70 can use the newer PLM lenses that don't use the solenoid, although currently there are only two of them, and the DA* 16-50 PLM definitely isn't a bargain lens, but the DA 55-300 PLM is reasonably priced.
05-25-2023, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 mk 1 is excellent. Good image quality and it handles kaf4 lenses. 24mp is still pretty high as apsc resolution goes.
05-25-2023, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K-3 mk 1 is excellent. Good image quality and it handles kaf4 lenses. 24mp is still pretty high as apsc resolution goes.
Yes, I can see some in the $400 range used on Amazon, something that I reckon someone buying a newer KF or K-70 should consider instead.
05-25-2023, 08:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well i got a k5iis for $288, a K01 for $200, a K1ii for $1200 with grip and DFA28-105, and a K10d for $40 and $175 with grip flash and FA50 1.4. It all depends on what you need.

Last edited by jimmm18; 05-25-2023 at 08:18 PM.
05-25-2023, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, I can see some in the $400 range used on Amazon, something that I reckon someone buying a newer KF or K-70 should consider instead.
The K-3 is slightly bested by the KP in overall image quality but it's hardly worth mentioning. The high iso performance is much better on the KP. The K-70/KF have similar high iso improvements.

Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

Even so the difference between them aren't that dramatic under most circumstances.
05-25-2023, 08:22 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

My K200D cost me $30 shipped. But even at the usual cost of about 100 dollars it's my vote....
05-25-2023, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The K-3 is slightly bested by the KP in overall image quality but it's hardly worth mentioning. The high iso performance is much better on the KP. The K-70/KF have similar high iso improvements.
Unfortunately, a used KP is now $700 and north on Amazon for instance.

So for a slight IQ increase (that I'm not sure people would be able to correctly sort 20 photos into KP and K-3 blindtested) that's another price level that I don't feel is the great bargain Fenwoodian is asking us about.
05-25-2023, 08:52 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Unfortunately, a used KP is now $700 and north on Amazon for instance.

So for a slight IQ increase (that I'm not sure people would be able to correctly sort 20 photos into KP and K-3 blindtested) that's another price level that I don't feel is the great bargain Fenwoodian is asking us about.
Agreed. That was my intended message however mangled. Lol. The upgrade from my k-50 to my k-3 was barely noticeable in iq. The functional changes on the other hand were clear. The k-3 is a really great camera. I currently own two; a monochrome converted one and a regular one.