Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-27-2023, 12:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-30 vs K-3 focusing

Hi folks! I am not a photographer! Just a family guy who shoots portraits of his family casually! I have a Pentax K-30 that I bought around 10 years ago with a 18-55 kit lens (that I never use) and 50mm F1.8 prime lens that I use 99% of the time in addition to a handful of old manual focus lenses.

I bought a Fuji X-T20 a few years back because the K-30 had an unreliable and slow focusing system. The Fuji served us well. Its focusing is way better than K-30, specially when I leave the camera on tripod on timer or in dark.

I grabbed my K-30 with my 50mm lens a while ago to see if it still works and God! I forgot it was such a nice camera! The construction is solid, the buttons are clicky, the grip is comfortable and the photos are nice looking. I immediately fell in love with my Pentax for a second time )

Now my question: I was looking at used K-3's (the original mark I) and the prices are very reasonable ($400-500 for a clean one). I wonder how much better K-3's focusing is compared to that of K-30. K-3 was annonced a year later than K-30, but they are both 10+ years old. I just don't want to spend a few hundred dollars and buy something that only collects dust because the focusing is too annoying. Is that something that on a trip and in a rush I can set on a tripod and trust it to take an in-focus photo?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide full context.

---------- Post added 05-27-23 at 01:53 AM ----------

I just found another thread that asked almost the same question K-3 vs K-30 Autofocus - PentaxForums.com

05-27-2023, 03:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by galaxytab Quote
Is that something that on a trip and in a rush I can set on a tripod and trust it to take an in-focus photo?
Any Pentax DSLR (in my experience) will take an in-focus picture on a tripod, with any lens, provided it's set up correctly in the first place.
Using centre-point focussing, lock onto the subject you want in focus and keep that focus locked until the shutter is released.
If you leave everything in "auto" and hope for a result you're likely to be disappointed, especially with an f/1.8 lens, which, by definition, can be far more critical to focus than your ignored 18-55mm "kit" lens, which would probably serve you very adequately for the 99% of the time you don't actually "need" an f/1.8
As to whether a K-3 would be any better … probably not, but you might get unsatisfactory results just that little bit quicker!
Good luck
05-27-2023, 05:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned the k-50 which is essentially the same camera as the k-30 but with different physical styling. When I upgraded to the k-3 I didn’t notice massive differences in focusing - but I hadn’t been seeing loads that bothered me before. I still own the k-3, and a KP, and some Sony ff gear. I’m shooting this month using the monochrome converted k-3 I recently purchased with my SMC DA 35 macro. I haven’t noticed major focusing difficulties but the screw drive 35 macro can overshoot focus and take a long time to rack the entire range. Occasionally, I’ve had the camera in poor lighting refuse to lock onto a subject and just track past correct focus and miss altogether. Live view usually works but even there occasionally the lens and camera rack past objects in the same way. Additionally, like most dslr systems the calibration of PDAF focus sensors to sensor image focus can be slightly off. This is not a major issue for me, but my Sony is probably a bit more accurate than my Pentaxes. The KP is slightly better at focusing in low light than the k-3 and the k-3 is better than the k-50 but the experience I had with my k-50 was already pretty good.

I guess the first thing I would ask is what firmware do you have on the k-30. There’s a hack to place the last k-50 firmware on that camera. This adds kaf4 lens compatibility, and it might also improve your focusing. Might be worth a try.
05-27-2023, 06:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just wondering: what are you photographing (why tripod - lowlight or tele or landscape or...)? are you at f1.4 (dof impact?) ?

Because - just guessing here and that makes it hard to judge what you need - if you are into nightscapes or similar, the lowlight focussing ability of a camera body might be more important , for instance: some camera's can focus reliably in low light up to -3 EV (K-3) and others only to -1 EV (K-30) or even +1EV. So yes , K-3 would improve here.

You can check the spec's here : Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

If you want to catch "quickly" moving objects (from kids and wildlife to sports...) in low light, switching to lenses with electric focus motors (like PLM, SDM or sigma HSM) might make the difference for you...

05-27-2023, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I wonder how much better K-3's focusing is compared to that of K-30. K-3 was annonced a year later than K-30, but they are both 10+ years old. I just don't want to spend a few hundred dollars and buy something that only collects dust because the focusing is too annoying. Is that something that on a trip and in a rush I can set on a tripod and trust it to take an in-focus photo?[/url]
I have a K-50 & K-3II. The K-3II is a bit more accurate & faster at acquiring focus, but not by a massive amount. It can definitely lock focus a lot better in dimly lit scenarios. The K-3II supposedly received slightly better AF.C algorithms than the original K-3. I think AF.S on both is practically the same. You have to work the camera to get the shot. Unless people are perfectly static posing, you're going to get missed shots with a tripod. I still think that your Fujifilm camera will take better people photos if your relying on the camera to do the job.

I have to work my K-3II & DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM or DA 55-300mm PLM to get decent shots of kids running/fidgeting around. It ain't going to happen automatically. The K-3III can probably do it automatically with eye detection through the OVF, but that camera is way pricier.
05-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you UncleVanya! I learned two things from your reply:

1. You can convert a DSLR into monochrome. I read a bit about it and it's an impressive hack! (I am not going to do it though )

2. I can run K-50 firmware on K-30. I currently run the latest K-30 firmware (V1.06). I am going to try to upgrade to K-50's V1.10 to see if it improves the autofocus.

Is this the right firmware to upgrade to? Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I owned the k-50 which is essentially the same camera as the k-30 but with different physical styling. When I upgraded to the k-3 I didn’t notice massive differences in focusing - but I hadn’t been seeing loads that bothered me before. I still own the k-3, and a KP, and some Sony ff gear. I’m shooting this month using the monochrome converted k-3 I recently purchased with my SMC DA 35 macro. I haven’t noticed major focusing difficulties but the screw drive 35 macro can overshoot focus and take a long time to rack the entire range. Occasionally, I’ve had the camera in poor lighting refuse to lock onto a subject and just track past correct focus and miss altogether. Live view usually works but even there occasionally the lens and camera rack past objects in the same way. Additionally, like most dslr systems the calibration of PDAF focus sensors to sensor image focus can be slightly off. This is not a major issue for me, but my Sony is probably a bit more accurate than my Pentaxes. The KP is slightly better at focusing in low light than the k-3 and the k-3 is better than the k-50 but the experience I had with my k-50 was already pretty good.

I guess the first thing I would ask is what firmware do you have on the k-30. There’s a hack to place the last k-50 firmware on that camera. This adds kaf4 lens compatibility, and it might also improve your focusing. Might be worth a try.
05-27-2023, 02:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you UncleVanya! I learned two things from your reply:

1. You can convert a DSLR into monochrome. I read a bit about it and it's an impressive hack! (I am not going to do it though )

2. I can run K-50 firmware on K-30. I currently run the latest K-30 firmware (V1.06). I am going to try to upgrade to K-50's V1.10 to see if it improves the autofocus.

Is this the right firmware to upgrade to? Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com
That looks right to me. I have never done it myself.

05-27-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Just wondering: what are you photographing (why tripod - lowlight or tele or landscape or...)? are you at f1.4 (dof impact?) ?
Typically people, including myself. When I am not in the photo and we are not in rush, I am typically fine spending a few seconds to get the focus right. I usually use my 50mm 1.8, but take it one or two steps up to increase the depth of field that helps focusing.