Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2023, 03:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Talk Me Out Of Jumping Ship From Pentax After 45 Years...

As the Thread Title says - talk me out of jumping ship from Pentax after 45 years & buying a Sony A7RV...

Last edited by rpjallan; 05-30-2023 at 03:50 AM.
05-30-2023, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know what a Sony A&RV is but what can that do that you can't do with a Pentax. You haven't given us much to go on.
05-30-2023, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony A7r mk V is a $4000 mirrorless camera, a completely different beast than anything Pentax makes. If you're made of money and can afford the expensive lenses that go with it (assuming you want autofocus) and don't want an optical viewfinder anymore I'd say go for it
05-30-2023, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps @rpjallan could get the ball rolling with what he perceives to be the reasons underpinning his need to switch....

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-30-2023 at 04:31 AM.
05-30-2023, 04:26 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What Pentax are you using now, what do you photograph, and what are your most used lenses?

Sony makes a nice camera. Far different ergonomics and menus than what you're likely accustomed to, and the EVF (and menus), even if improved from the previous gen's, will still be a bit jarring initially. Personally I've not yet seen an EVF I'm happy with, and that includes the one on the A7rV. You would adapt if committed.

If you believe buying the Sony will make you a better and happier photographer, and you're prepared for the expense and *ahem* "changes", go for it. Only you know the reasons for switching platforms and what you hope to gain from it. It's your money and your photography goals. No one here could tell you you'd be making either a mistake or a smart move.

That said, I'd suggest renting one for at least a week before committing to buying one.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-30-2023 at 08:23 AM.
05-30-2023, 04:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would be a pretty hard thing to do. Sony A7iv is my main system and just because I love my Monochrome doesn't mean I would trade the Sony for a K1. And the A7rv is even better than the A7iv. It's all more money but if you can swing it, why not?

---------- Post added 05-30-23 at 04:42 AM ----------

And of course, with an inexpensive adaptor, you can use all your old Pentax MF lenses (and most other brands) on your Sony!
05-30-2023, 05:02 AM - 6 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

No one should have to talk you out of it.

05-30-2023, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or...

no, go ahead with your mirrorless plans...
05-30-2023, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It won’t make better images than what you’re using now. That’s down to what’s operating whichever camera. But it will diminish your cash reserves faster: is that a good thing??
05-30-2023, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
talk me out of jumping ship from Pentax after 45 years & buying a Sony A7RV...
If you keep your Pentax DSLR, it (is) will be obsolete. If you buy into Sony, it'll be obsolete at the same speed or faster, Sony or others will release something better, if not dog , cat and turtle eye AF, it'll be something else.
The decision is about how much money you are willing to burn to have the latest technology. Will the money spent be worth the value you get from it? You only can answer this question.
05-30-2023, 05:07 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

As the Thread Title says - talk me out of jumping ship from Pentax after 45 years & buying a Sony A7RV...

I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. Presumably Pentax is going in a direction that doesn't suit you personally by making cameras like the Monochrome and the new film compact, and by sticking with the optical viewfinder. And that's fine. Some people will inevitably be leaving Pentax because the quirky and interesting new niche in the market that it has created for itself doesn't cater to them. But for each of those who abandons the brand, there will be others who come onboard for the first time exactly because they really like the unique things that Pentax is offering nowadays.

So if you're more of a Sony A7RV kinda guy, go for it and have fun.

But if you started the thread hoping that people would get into a head-to-head list of comparisons of things like autofocus speed and ISO performance, I think you'll be disappointed. That isn't the market that Pentax is trying to appeal to nowadays.
05-30-2023, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

I’ve changed brands a few times over the years. At times it got me a few things I wanted, reinvigorated my desire to do photography, but there were also lost features and money burned along the way. I’m not sure it was all worth it.

That said, Pentax has said pretty bluntly that they’re sticking with OVFs. If you’re wanting state of the art tech and AF performance, it could be worth switching. I’d go into it with the expectation that it won’t make you a better photographer tho.
05-30-2023, 05:22 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rent the camera, if you like it more then your current Pentax then change, if not, then not. MILC have their pros, have their cons. We do not sit in your skin so only you can decide what you like more.
05-30-2023, 05:23 AM - 14 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on what you shoot and what you feel you are missing. I have been pretty happy with Pentax and feel that the glass is the reason that I stay. If you have good glass and decent skills, you should be able to capture nice images, regardless of the brand you use.

Personally, most of my images are either landscapes (mostly pixel shifted) or snaps of my kids. My wife does shoot weddings with a mixture of K-1 II and K-3 III cameras and has felt that they are adequate to the task.

Just a few examples.

Pentax DFA 24-70mm

FA 31 limited

DFA *70-200mm

DFA *50mm

DFA *85mm

DA 15 limited

DFA 100 macro

As others have said, if you can say why you are dissatisfied with Pentax and whether waiting 9 or 10 months till (hopefully) a K-1 III is announced is something you could deal with.
05-30-2023, 05:47 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As you live in Adelaide, you are welcome to visit me in Stirling. Stick a few exotic K-mount lenses on whatever Pentax body you have, and make your decision.

When all is said and done, no one apart from you really cares what you decide to do.