Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2023, 05:17 AM   #1

NOS K-5 for US$400. Worth it?

Found a new-old-stock K-5 limited silver and 2.8 XS lens combo for $400. I believe only 1500 units of these were produced.

Is it worth it? I have a KP and a couple of cheap primes (35mm 2.4 and 50mm 1.8). I also have a few other non-Pentax cameras. Yeah, GAS.

I'm not a hardcore Pentaxian, so not too familiar with the K-5, except that it was top of the line once with a robust build. I don't need another camera, but getting a limited one for 1/4th its original price is enticing. The vintage, hipster appeal is icing on the cake.

What say you?

06-04-2023, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If the DA40/2.8 XS is a lens you want, then I'd say that's a good package price. It means you're getting a brand new K-5 Limited for around $200, give or take a little.

Bear in mind the K-5 isn't KAF4 compatible, so the latest lenses with electronic aperture control aren't fully compatible (they'd only work at maximum aperture).

My biggest concern would be why it's new / old stock. Was it a customer return with a fault, or something like AF fine adjustment outside normal tolerances... that kind of thing. If I were buying it, I'd want to be sure of the returns policy, then check shutter count immediately upon receipt and give it a very thorough test - every single function and feature - and with several K-mount lenses that I know require zero or little AF fine adjustment on my K-3 and K-3II...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-04-2023 at 03:28 PM.
06-04-2023, 05:43 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vintage hipster appeal…

IMO the K5 iis is the one to look out for.
06-04-2023, 06:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Bear in mind the K-5 isn't KAF4 compatible
Thanks for the reply. I'm also eyeing a Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC Art down the road, will that work on the K-5. Apologies for the Pentax noob questions.

06-04-2023, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If the DA40/2.8 XS is a lens you want, then I'd say that's a good package price. It means you're getting a brand new K-5 Limited for around $200, give or take a little.

Bear in mind the K-5 isn't KAF4 compatible, so the latest lenses with electronic aperture control aren't fully compatible (they'd only work at maximum aperture).

The lens alone can be fun if you want a very compact camera without protruding lens like for events or street photography. It is the ultimate , newest pancake lens...
The K-5 is a 16 Mpixels camera from 2011 and hence , sensor low light performance, autofocus etc will be good but bit less than your KP, especially if pushing it in low light or cropping of image, so it depends a bit on your expectations.
Price wise the deal is ok, both items used, value the same amount roughly....the longterm value of a limited series is always guessing and personal matter.

---------- Post added 04-06-23 at 06:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by typericey Quote
Thanks for the reply. I'm also eyeing a Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC Art down the road, will that work on the K-5. Apologies for the Pentax noob questions.
Yes..
Pentax K-5 and Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art) - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com
06-04-2023, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It will work on the K-5, yes. It's actually one of my favourite lenses... Some folks have had issues with AF accuracy / consistency on this lens, but I use single centre-point AF to avoid or minimise this. I've had very few missed focus shots with mine.
06-04-2023, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 and DA 40 XS was my most used prime combo for several years. Great results in a compact form. I would definitely consider purchasing this package for that price.

06-04-2023, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the camera is truly new old stock, I'd be concerned about the length of time that it's been in storage. It's possible (likely) that the included battery has fully self-discharged, which isn't good for its health. Also, if the main battery has discharged, or if it had not been installed in the camera, the camera's internal back-up battery has probably discharged, which means the camera won't keep the time/date when the main battery is removed.

See, for example: Maintainance of CMOS or memory or backup-battery - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
06-04-2023, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Found a new-old-stock K-5 limited silver and 2.8 XS lens combo for $400. I believe only 1500 units of these were produced.

Is it worth it? I have a KP and a couple of cheap primes (35mm 2.4 and 50mm 1.8). I also have a few other non-Pentax cameras. Yeah, GAS.

I'm not a hardcore Pentaxian, so not too familiar with the K-5, except that it was top of the line once with a robust build. I don't need another camera, but getting a limited one for 1/4th its original price is enticing. The vintage, hipster appeal is icing on the cake.

What say you?
I'd go for it. Silver is rare, lens is good and the K5 has great image quality. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery. Pentax batteries are easily available and the internal battery is rechargeable. I bought a NOS K2000 which only takes AA batteries, none installed, and the internal was fine.

06-04-2023, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the source of this mew old stock is legit.
06-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, advice and the useful links. Pentaxians are really an awesome bunch.